SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Oh! Look at this pendant light

sochi
9 years ago

Suspended motion, whimsical and nature inspired with white oak.

Fun or too odd?

Comments (35)

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

Really cool. I could see these used in a lot of different places.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Ouch! Not in my house.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think they are interesting but in this house you don't want to look * at * any light fixtures as much as you want to look *through* them. These may draw too much attention to themselves.

I think they would be better if you were compensating for no view in a particular spot in the house that didn't have one .

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

The wood pieces look like something you'd squeeze to blow up the bulb. Whimsical, to say the least.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What patty_cakes said. Looks like sperm.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Yuck!

• User
    9 years ago

Sochi, you should poll the respondents' ages, lol.

My personal reaction, meh, take it or leave it.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I love it!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Not so much. I think you can do better.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Interesting, but my dirty mind sees all sorts of weirdness to them.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I don't hate them but think they look kind of silly.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Kswl, I'm a very young 'almost' 72, or so my kids tell me. Personally I don't care for modern, or even anything remotely close to modern, never have, never will. I guess you could call it whimsical........nawwwwww. ;)

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the comments! I expected some interesting observations and you didn't fail me.

I kind of like them, but agree they aren't a good fit for my spot.

I applaud the creativity of the designer and find it refreshing to see conventions being pushed a bit. I've looked at hundreds (thousands??) of lights over the past couple of months, 95 percent are variants of the same thing. Meh

• mclarke
    9 years ago

I think I would love them until I stopped loving them, which would be about five minutes.

And how would you hang them? They would only look good hanging together, as in the photo.

Plus, if one of them hit the other, they would break the bulbs, which probably cost $4000 apiece.

So, no.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like them. I think they are cute, like a "swarm" of lightning bugs.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think if you are going to so something reduced all the way to a bare bulb you might as well think about Muuto's E27 pendant in white ($79 at DWR)

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not setting the world on fire, and not see through, but nice. Bone china and a similar feel to the Euro lights, more casual than the Niche lamps.

DH is leaning towards Niche's Pharos.

This post was edited by sochi on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 0:31

• lascatx
    9 years ago

They are reminding me of the wasps we discovered in residence in my decorative metal parrot sculpture on the back patio when we were rearranging furniture. One came right for my face and hit me between the eyes. I don't know if he was trying to sting me or just checking me out, but I ducked and backed away. I still got a little scrape that burned.

I'm not feeling the need for the funky lights. Fireflies are cool though. I'd love to have some real ones about.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pharos:

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drop one in grouping:

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Speaking of which:

Also come as floor and table lamps.

• User
    9 years ago

Patty cakes, I am 57, lol, and they don't really appeal to me, either! When I ask myself why I don't especially like them, the main esthetic reason is that they just don't fit into what I think of as pendant lights. They don't look super functional, but I have been known on occasion to sacrifice a little function for form.....they just don't look like pendant lights I am used to. Somebody much younger than I probably has less of a bias for the way things are "supposed" to look.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Nordic Tales Sprout Lights. You can pick wood and cord color. (about 100.00)

Or from woodindesign

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the bone china, simple lights. I think they're elegant.

I also thought the first ones, in addition to looking like sperm (glad to learn I'm not the only one with a dirty mind around here), I did think they look like fireflies as well, which is kind of cool, and I suspect that is what they're meant to look like.

Lascatx, I do have fireflies, in late June, at my house. They're so fun to watch. But alas, they don't stay long at all.

Lol @ NSM @ 7:36.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 8:36

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I love the white ones at 0:28. So pleasing to look at, sensual shape

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I also like the bone china.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom, lol. Now that definitely looks like sperm @ 7:36. I think I'd be more comfortable with the cute wasps/fireflies. I like the Nordic Sprout lights a lot, probably not for over the peninsula though. Maybe as bedside lighting? Same goes for the DWR bare bulbs, although I prefer the Nordic ones with wood.

I'm leaning to the bone china over Niche at the moment, heartened by votes of confidence from Tibbrix, mtn and Pal. Thank you all for weighing in, much appreciated.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I really like the bone china pendants with the rope-colored cord. Simple, clean lines, great shape (as mtn said) and my favorite colors.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I am planning on limiting myself to all concealed bulb fixtures (excluding a chandelier that takes very low wattage flame bulbs) because I don't know how ugly lightbulbs may get in the future.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

Just a word of caution with the bone china pendants. I just have been working through a situation with two ceramic pendants I purchased from Serena & Lily. The problem is that the thickness of the ceramic differs between the two pendants, so that when they are illuminated at night they glow differently. The first pair I received was really bad, and then I got a replacement set that is better but not perfect. The only way I can get them to look reasonably close is by using different bulb wattages. Bone china may have a more consistent thickness and better manufacturing process, but I wanted to warn of this potential issue. If the pendants I ordered were handmade I would have anticipated a potential problem but mine are made from a mold and I would have expected better consistency. The pendants you are considering a really lovely; hope they could work out!

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

palimpsest, I am hoping the future is moving towards sculptural and interesting bulbs. As more places (other than California) adopt energy restrictions I think it will push d esign in that direction. Filament LED bulbs are starting to look much more appealing . . .

(Gah . . . are those LED bulbs in sochi's post and in nosoccermom's post? They're getting so good I can't tell)

Here is a link that might be useful: Filament LED

This post was edited by Oaktown on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 19:11

• socks
    9 years ago

These lights would look good in a very modern setting or in a converted industrial situation with exposed ducting, etc.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip Marina, I will look for that.

I think they are filament LEDs Oaktown, I agree they do look pretty good, hopefully that continues.

I've decided to go with the bone china light. Thanks to Pal for leading me to the DWR site. I'd been there before, but never looked at the lighting they offer. They have a store in Toronto & the lights are in stock, so too easy.

DD (10) and DS (7) are VERY disappointed that we aren't getting the firefiles/wasp lights, btw. I think you're onto something kswl, the young love 'em!

It may take a village to raise a child, but in this case it takes an on-line virtual community to find a light! Thanks again.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Sochi,

I have those drop lights. I bought them off craigslist. They seller brought them over from London. They are the same ones that DWR sells, but I got them at a fraction of the price. I didnt realize what I was buying at the time. When my friends from dwr were over at the house, they remarked on the lights they thought I had bought from them.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rockybird - so funny, what a coincidence. Do you love them? How high are you pendants off the island?

Sounds like an amazing deal you got!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH