Houzz Logo Print

Service size Bulldog Pushmatic with 2 main disconects

The electrician I am working (as a sub contractor) for is going to work with me (pulling the meter) changing a main panel out in my grandma's basement. I'm having a hard time figuring out the service size. The feeder coming into it may be older than the panel itself for it is a cloth like wire coming through a 2" conduit. The panel currently has 2 sepearate sets of busbars with a 100 amp breaker at the top of each one. Potentially 200 amps of 240 volt power could be used without tripping the main. I just can't figure out the wire size for it seems bigger than a #2 or 4 but not sure if it could really be 2/0. Were these panels used in 100 amp services? Or was it the old way of doing a 200 amp service? The conductors have kinf of a dark metal look not like copper or aluminum, could it be some sort of cladded wire? I was thinking if it is aluminum, maybe it is just 100 amp oversized for aluminum. I know if I looked at it again with a scrap of wire I could figure it out but figured this may be a common set up that other electricians on here would know what size it is. Just thought it would be odd if it is 100 amp because there are basically 2 100 amp services within the panel.

The house was built near the 1930's, pushmatic put in when the bulldog panels were big. There is a 1" conduit to an old stair well 40 amp sub panel that has very similar cloth like insulation on the wire just as the current feeder into the main panel has.

Comments (2)