SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nynovice

need help--kitchen window frame is lower than countertop

nynovice
17 years ago

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge and proper terminology. I am first-time renovator, remodeling a kitchen that has an aluminum window in the corner. We are planning on moving our sink into the corner in front of the window and surrounding the sink with a countertop. The problem is that the window frame is 27" from the floor, and standard countertop height (which we want) is 36". I do not want to recah down behind the counter to open my window, but instead would prefer that the window open at counter level (or higher). The current window is a double hung, 72"(l) by 26"(W).

I would like to try to put a piece of material (wood?) at the bottom of the current window opening and buy a replacement window for the opening that is 63" (or shorter). I need to match the current dark gray aluminium on the outside of the window frame, but am hoping I can have a white finish on the inside (split finish). My questions are:

1. Will this work? I can have a contractor do the work, but am curious to see if a smaller window inside a larger opening will be stable, not let in drafts, etc. What meterials would help?

2. What stores (online or elsewhere) can I purchase one window? Would it need to be custom made? If so, what is approx. cost and how long does it take to construct? (I am trying to figure out if I need to order it immediately).

3. Are there any better solutions to my problem?

Thanks so much in advance. I don't really know how to proceed, and my contractor is not very helpful.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths