SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phillyguy99

replacing patio doors, HMI versus Pella Designer versus Andersen

phillyguy99
9 years ago

We are replacing 5-ft inswing patio french doors in our house. (We are also replacing the entry door and a few windows, but trying to keep this comparison apples to apples). We have received estimates from several companies, and have narrowed it down to two installers/dealers who seem to provide high quality work and service and offer decent products.

Both installers have recommended HMI Doors as our entry door (we are going with a fiberglass entry door, and HMI is local, so this works great).

We have asked for outswing, full lite french patio doors to replace the current doors (we'd also prefer internal blinds, but not a deal-breaker), and received 3 initial recommended options:

HMI Doors fiberglass patio doors

Andersen A-Series fiberglass extruded patio doors

Pella Designer Series aluminum clad patio doors

The HMI fiberglass patio doors were recommended by one dealer, Andersen or Pella (with Pella recommended as best option) recommended by the second. Of the three, HMI Doors came in as the most affordable. The Andersen doors came in 20% higher than HMI, and the Pella quote 20% higher than that.

Thoughts and recommendations? If HMI and ProVia are the premier entry doors, is there a reason they are the cheapest patio door here? I have only seen pictures of each, and while yes, I think Andersen and Pella probably capture the essence of a french door better than HMI, if its a great product, looks alone don't seem enough to justify what are pretty significant price differences. Would love to hear from those with some insight, industry experience, or experience with these products. I have noticed I haven't been able to find any substantive discussion of HMI as a patio door in the forums. These will be located in the dining room as the primary access to our patio, and in full view of the living/family room, so looks do have value here as well, though quality is our first prerequisite.

This post was edited by phillyguy99 on Fri, May 23, 14 at 10:20

Comments (4)