SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

Milgard fiberglass or Essence?

LE
11 years ago

I will be glad when the window selection is done! I started out planning to have black Marvin fiberglass, but it turned out I could not get a black interior and the wood option was pine. Our interior will have some other doug fir and I like the color of it, so that seems to make more sense if we go with a wood interior.

Our house will be sort of a "modern farmhouse" style, if anything-- a somewhat traditional shape, but with corrugated metal siding, concrete floors, and definitely windows that are black on the outside. So we started looking at Milgards because I read Cwirick's thread on a similar topic and found they had a black on black option. Do you think I could find that in a showroom? Well, not so far, except at Milgard itself and of course, they are not open on weekends.

Today I looked at the Milgard black fiberglass (this one had a white interior, and I couldn't tell if I liked them or not. The "showroom" had no natural light and colors were hard to determine, plus it was just plain dim in there. I did notice that one of the 3 mitered corners was what I thought to be "off" by which I mean there was sort of a lip where the 2 pieces met. And you would think you'd want to show off your best stuff in a showroom, right? So what would that mean for what you'd get as a regular customer?

Plus I couldn't really tell because of the lighting, or lack of it, but it seemed that although the outside was a nice matte black, that the inside was shinier and looked a little too much like vinyl. Of course, it would be different with black, so I'm not sure what to think.

So we looked at the Essence with the clear VG fir and the salesman told us the price would be about the same, which I found surprising, but then he said something like "I think these are pine now, I don't think they come in fir any more" which made me feel like he really didn't know the product line very well.

I guess after seeing what we saw today, we are leaning more toward the fir interior-- I can't imagine ordering a houseful of windows I had never actually seen. I scoured the internet and did not come up with any photos of the black on black version or even one of two dark colors.

So if anyone has either of these, I would love to hear what you think of the quality, esp. of the joints on the interior, and if you have any photos of fiberglass with a dark interior, I'd love to see them!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths