SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lnj14

Milgard Aluminum windows experience?

LNJ14
10 years ago

Hello All,

We are choosing windows for our 2nd floor addition. Initially we were considering Simonton DaylightMax vinyl, but then came across Milgard Aluminum (standard version). About 15 years ago, on our first floor, we replaced the old single-pane aluminum with 0.5in frame with chunky vinyl and lost A LOT of glass area (shocking!). So we're trying to minimize this loss of light. Hence, looking seriously at Milgard Aluminum. If we are to buy it, we will be getting the white painted version.

We are in SF Bay area, so the climate is mild (45F-80F with handful of days above and below that during the year), and we don't think the thermal inefficiency of the aluminum frame is going to affect us much. We know from experience the use of LowE dual pane glass is what made our house comfortable against harsh west sun, so... (we had a bedroom that went from single-pane aluminum to dual pane vinyl.. but the room still got way too hot at sunset until we changed the glass to lowE.. that made an incredible amount of difference)

I've scoured reviews on Milgard Aluminum here and elsewhere. but most were comparing with vinyl, or recommending the thermally-broken version, and not so much on the actual units and experiences with them.

Has anyone installed Milgard Aluminum sliding glass windows? How do you like them? do they rattle on windy days? I see draft numbers, but do you actually feel draft coming through? I've read some people commented on hard wind-driven rain some water ends up on the tracks, but we get that with our vinyl, so... unless the water actually overflows indoors onto the sill, i'm not all that concerned with that.

our windows are mostly 6-8ft wide, 4ft high single or double sliders.

so we're more interested in operability/use, finish, burrs, general construction quality, etc. The local window dealer had one demo unit but it was quite battered (and was a spliced model of aluminum and dark bronze frame, so not sure if the mitered seams were representative of the actual unit).

Thank you for any insight, comments on the Milgard Aluminum sliders...

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting