SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manda_2006

sd's downward spiral

manda_2006
17 years ago

Hello again, everyone. As usual, thank you all for your helpful advice and for being brave enough to post your problems. There are many of us out there with the same problems and just reading them is comforting to know that we're not alone! I seek your wisdom again!

I will sum up our history, if you need further details please read my previous posts. I've been married to dh for 17 months, I have two children from a previous marriage, he has one daughter from a relationship that I have adopted, and we have a baby girl together, born in January. Two kids have adjusted well to changes, are happy, healthy (mentally, emotionally, physically), and have a close relationship with their dad and my dh. SD is 8 and I cannot find another word to describe her other than weird. Just strange. She's been diagnosed a.d.d., has been tested for learning disabilities but fortunately has none. I know this child has been through a great deal, having been abandoned by her mother at age 2, raised by daddy and grandma, and things have really improved for her in the past 2 or 3 years. She's been in counseling since age 3 and more recently her counselor told us it would be unnecessary to continue weekly sessions that she is doing very well. As pleased as we were to hear this, I am afraid it's incorrect!!!! Over the past 2 to 3 weeks I have noticed strange behavior in her. She is masturbating very frequently and in front of people. She did this before and I talked to her and explained that if she wanted to do that she needed to do it in her room only, that it is private. That's out the window. Yesterday we were at a relatives home and they have a dog. The dog began sniffing and licking you-know-where as dogs do, but she spread her legs and giggled and said, "That feels funny!" Then she proceeded to lay on the floor and let the dog lick her wherever. I was so embarrassed and tried not to make a big deal of it, but I told her to stop it! If she was younger I wouldn't be so concerned, but she's 8. She knows better. She also talks in circles, she makes no sense and it's okay because she talks to herself constantly. I don't mean she's playing or being imaginative, she has conversations. She laughs at the wrong time, like during her talks with herself, she has begun misbehaving, typical child things, but when she is called on it she resorts to baby talk, e.g. not moving her lips, just sound coming out. It is the strangest thing I have ever seen. I think she has some sort of mental disorder? Her bio mom has borderline personality disorder so I don't know if she has something like that? My husband, although wonderful, is oblivious. When he (rarely) notices her masturbation, he says, "I just don't get it." Or with her talking to herself and laughing inappropriately he says he doesn't see it or notice it and he doesn't think it's a big problem. Well, maybe not yet! She has to be told everyday to do the same tasks such as get dressed, brush your teeth, etc. She'd stay in her pj's all day if I didn't. School is a madhouse, I'm dreading it already. Can anyone offer me any advice as to what might be going on with her? Does it sound like something is wrong or is it just me? How do I get her dad to wake up?? Thank you!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH