SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vasi_gw

couch for this chair

vasi
10 years ago

What couch will coordinate with this chair? I'm thinking fabric, but what color and style? The chair has an old even antique look to it, so my thought is an antique looking couch, but does that matter?

Edit update: After the exchange of ideas here, which I must say was at all time most gracious and polite, I decided to not buy the chair; it is not the style or color, but the fact that it is a small chair; something I had not thought about until later.

However, there is still some interesting ideas presented in this thread; and you will want to see my final idea. So, don't go away just yet.

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 18:04

Comments (51)

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How about this sofa?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

The style is great, although I don't see much relationship in color to the chair, and you mentioned fabric above. Do you have photos of the room and other furniture that these would be put with?

There may be other pieces in your room that will bring it all together. Pillows on the sofa that are closer to the chair colors would even help them relate.

• Related Discussions

Sofa and love seat or sofa and two chairs

Q

Comments (33)
    Mtn, yes itâÂÂs an animal skin which is a dime a dozen now discounted on many sites. However it works for me because I already had the big carpet. I had a problem with the dominant color of the kitchen cabinets taking over in the open plan so the animal skin helped ground the living space. It also helped with blending the Fred Flintstone fireplace in the open dining room on far side. The ceiling fan works well! At first the decorative light surround thingy made a rattle noise when the fan was on high, which was very annoying. We just dabbed a tic of clear silicone on one section and that took care of it. I agree about the loveseat not always being useful which is why I went with a three seater and a four seater. I decided against a sectional because most people do not like the corner section as itâÂÂs hard to get out of. The other problem with a sectional was that if I wanted to lie down while husband was, my feet would be in his face during movie watching. He does not have a foot fetish so that wouldnâÂÂt work. For my needs we wanted two items that you could stretch out on for movies or watching series shows. But again, I think it all should be about how and whoâÂÂs using the room. Some people only have room for so much seating. I think where people go wrong on the sofa and loveseat thing is that the pieces are often way too bulky for the space.
    ...See More

Need help finding this Sofa and Club Chairs

Q

Comments (0)
    I would appreciate if anyone can help with the brand or similar for this sofa and club chairs. My home is modern and trying to recreate this room. I have found everything except these. They are channel tuft square armed.
    ...See More

Furniture placement for 2 couches and 2 chairs

Q

Comments (5)
    What about two benches or even one bench instead of a coffee table? I switched out my junk collecting coffee table for an upholstered bench the is comfy to put my feet up and easily moved from couch to love seat. I have a platter that I can put on it if I need to put my coffee on it. But I prefer side tables so I don’t have to keep bending forward and moving out of my comfy spot to reach my coffee. With side tables, you just reach over! It also opened up my living room a good bit, but still fills the space nicely.
    ...See More

Can this sofa and accent chair be paired together?

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm going with no, they won't go well together. My reasoning: they're kinda alike in that they have similar legs ... but they're not identical. Instead of feeling intentional, they'll feel mismatched.
    ...See More
  • vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see what you mean, Not much else in the room; a black wide screen TV and an antique oak secretary desk.

Here is another idea:

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I'm thinking dark blue velvet fabric. What's the budget? What's the rest of the room like?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I like the second one you posted much better than the first with your chair. What a fun chair...armchair travel!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

A beautiful dark leather sofa with nailheads, a faded rug, the aroma of a pipe, it could be a super yummy room.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

The two sofas you've posted are too similar to the chair. You need something with different, but complimentary lines.

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the advice, I made the switch to blue and I like it.

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 2:38

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

If you have an unlimited budget

Here is a link that might be useful: gorgeous

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does not apply, the room layout I posted here has been modified

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 2:40

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the bookcase and wall art.

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is your idea: Not sure about the style, seems a bit too elegant for me.

• geokid
    10 years ago

I like the idea of a blue!

The top sofa is from Crate and Barrel and the bottom from Pottery Barn.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

That chair would look super in my library, except I have too much furniture in there already. I second a blue color, not sure about which style.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

definitely too elegant esp. now I can see the other elements. I'd go for either something with straight arms or really big rounded arms. The sofas you've linked above have arms almost the same as the chair - just not quite which makes them not work with it (IMHO). But look at how nice the blue looks with the colour of the chair. Grey or navy would also look great.

• geokid
    10 years ago

I see what you mean about the arms, daisy. Although I don't think it looks bad. Here are a couple more options.

ETA: The top is a dark grey. I really like that too. The bottom is more of a bright blue, probably not what you are looking for, but I like the chesterfield look of the sofa.

This post was edited by geokid on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 16:02

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Help me out here; I just don't see how the blue works with the chair, and I love the color blue. I see some green in the chair so the fabric I chose has some green and it seems to work with the chair and the other room elements. What don't I understand about colors? A lot, no doubt.

• geokid
    10 years ago

Blue and brown is a common color combo. Especially caramel brown like your chair. See your artwork for the room as an example and the blue books on your bookcase.

But if you prefer green, then I would go green. Brown and green is another great color combo so you can't go wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue and brown color combos

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

I second my3dogs' suggestion of pulling a color from the chair. I like the chair with the deep blue but it would take some work to tie the room together starting with those pieces IMO (and I'm a person who prefers things that don't match!)

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I prefer green; I looked at the link and blue and brown just don't work for me.

I am now wondering though, if I am making a mistake by sticking with the map chair if it is the only other chair in the room. Would a better arrangement be to have the couch and a chair from the same group, so the style is identical, but in a different fabric, and then have the map chair also in the room. The chair next to the couch would match and the other chair would be the map chair. Is this a better plan?

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 2:50

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Maybe we are not seeing the color correctly. This happens. If you think green is a better match, then try something in green.
    I am wondering though if there is a way to put this chair off into a corner on it's own? Sometimes it's difficult to design around a unique piece. Can it fit in a bedroom?

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes it will fit in my bedroom, which I just decorated with blue curtains and blue spread, the art in the bedroom is detailed sketches of ships of sail, tall ships, it will fit well.

I tried a blue chair and I might like this, need to ponder a bit

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 2:51

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edit Update: This idea was aborted. Keep reading. Thank you.

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 18:06

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today, I bought the map chair and the bookcase.
    The map chair looks good with this

The map chair is 5 inches shorter than the blue sofa, does that matter?

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 2:43

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ellendi,

You idea helped, thank you. The map chair is an odd piece, and to try to fit it into a decor plan was difficult, if not impossible. So, it will go in my bedroom.

I now wonder if I should start a new thread. I am now looking at two chairs. This is more useful than a two seat couch. My question is this: Should these chairs be the same fabric color?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Blue chair is a Barclay

This post was edited by vasi on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 2:40

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

If you were to have two chairs and a couch, I would have the chairs the same color and style, with a complementary couch in a different color or pattern, and that did not match the chairs.

Love this last chair that you posted, where is this from?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I don't understand, is there a couch somewhere in the room? Or are you just doing two chairs? If just two chairs, I think they should be identical; if a couch, too, then one very close to the same as the couch and one different would work best (for me).

What room is this? Sorry if I missed that info somewhere.

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my dining room and living room are the same space; this floor-plan will clarify.

Edit: I went back to the two seat sofa after hearing the advice here.)

The yellow chair in this floor-plan is the map chair. The rugs have a old world map design. Can you tell I like maps?

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 2:54

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the wall on the left side of the layout, across from the bay window. I bought the bookcase today, along with the map chair.

The frame is ornate gold with some red, It is being framed and I will have it next week.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Start a new post explaining that you are starting over, with the map chair no longer in the plan.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Will you only have 2 people at all times? I would want more seating and flexibility (at the very least ottomans, floor pillows etc). If it is a combined living/dining area and you do not need a dining table why not float a couch someplace and then do the two chairs in your reading area? Does your tv have to stay where you've placed it? What are the dimensions of the room?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the print! Can you tell me more about it? The map chair is so unique.
    The rug, your print with the hot air balloon, and the map chair fits into an explorer type decor. I can see some travel books and old binoculars on your book shelf. Your room is going to be lovely.

Do you have enough room for a sofette and the two chairs? That would give you more flexibility when you have guests. The room looks large enough to accomodate as long as the chairs aren't oversized.

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for taking interest in my project. When you refer to the 'print' do you mean the framed print above the bookcase? Yes I can tell you a great deal about it. I captured the image early in the morning in Cesky Krumlov and printed it on canvas. 30 x 43.

The map chair is indeed unique. However, I decided to not purchase it. The room is small, and there would have been the two-seat sofa and the map chair, and both would seem out of place. I love the map chair, but do I want to spend $2,000 on a chair that will look odd in the room and end up in my bedroom? This was a difficult decision, but I could not justify the purchase when I could not find a sofa to pair with the chair.

Had the room been big enough to allow for a two-seat sofa and a matching side chair, then the map chair would be fine.

I started a new thread with the components that I am now working with.

Here are some of the books that will be in the bookcase. I like your idea of travel books, I will try to find some antique books on travel.

Here is a link that might be useful: my new thread

This post was edited by vasi on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 21:05

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edit: The floor plan that was here no longer applies.

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 18:09

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want the map chair; here is what I came up with:

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

IM sorry but I am having trouble enlarging the image to read dimensions. So this may not work but in the alcove where the tv is you could do book shelves there and then a small round table with 4 slim comfy upholstered seats. It could work double duty as desk/dining/craft etc. Then on other side center a small sofa on the window with comfy ottoman and tv above the console ?

I read that is your own photography-- nice. If you love the map chair buy it. It would look nice paired with a sofa ...

We love the explorer/collected/world travel look too :)

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the furniture is to the same scale as he footprint, so it seems everything will fit. The TV should go in that place, it fills the space and looks good there.

I must say this too: Thank you very much for your support on the chair; I felt that since it did not fit in color and style then I should not get it. I guess I was sorta talked out the chair. I suppose I can reverse my decision to cancel the chair order. Anyway, thank you for your support.

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 2:49

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I love maps, too, but haven't decorated with them. Your house is going to be lovely and interesting. Since you love the chair, I think you might regret not getting it - even for a bedroom. But if you use it in the dining area as shown, I think you should find a rug that is not a map to go with it...it's just a little too much (I think).

Since you thought you preferred green with your chair (in your last pics it's all blue) could you find green velvet sofa to go with? Or maybe even a rust velvet? I'm afraid that simply having two chairs is going to look odd (or 3 if you include the dining chair). Even if you're a single person, if you have a couple come over, you want to have seating.

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for you interest in my project; and thank you for your suggestions.

I agree two chairs is odd so I changed the plan to a loveseat and a chair.

The map chair is difficult choice; I can't figure out where to put it but I like it. It might end up in the bedroom.

I decided on a blue sofa and a blue chair. even if the map chair is in the same area, they will be fine, as has been pointed out to me. I like blue.

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I updated several of my previous posts; it was getting confusing to follow all the changes. So if you now go back and read the posts, some of them might not make sense, but I think this provides a more up to date thread. I had several different floor plans posted and there are just two.

I can't find a map rug bigger than 5 x 7 and that is what is shown here.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

That looks much better!

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am concerned about the map chair; look at the size of the map chair; 30â wide x 32â deep x 33 high

The Club Chair is bigger: 43â wide x 39â deep x 38â high

Does this seem like a short chair?
    Is the map chair going to look tiny? Well, it can go in my bedroom if it does not look right with the other chairs.

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 18:11

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I could be wrong, but I think that seating in a room should have the same seat height to unify the look. I'm afraid that the map chair will look dwarfed next to the sofa and other chair.

• geokid
    10 years ago

I like your latest plan. Definitely get the map chair if you like it. You'll regret it if you don't. And the blue you've chosen for the sofa is very nice.

Is it possible to move the blue chair to where the map chair is shown and then move the map chair to the bay window? Get a nice ottoman and a reading light and side table and you'd have a very nice little spot.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Vasi, I love your choices and your print that is your own photo is glorious. I am so glad that you have decided to use the map chair. However I would look for another chair that is similar in scale to it. Your room is going to be amazing! Best of luck with it and we are all anxious to see your final room!

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the map chair, but it is too small compared to the furniture I have selected. I will find out if I can get my current wing-back chair re-upholstered in map print leather. I have now changed my mind on the map chair twice.

Thanks to the suggestion to try an 88 inch sofa, I did, and here is the result on the layout; I like this, but i am hesitant to select such a big sofa for such a small room.

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took the advice and went with a three seat sofa

This post was edited by vasi on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 18:01

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went with a custom sofa, as offered on the Bassett web page, very nice page. It's 82" wide. Here is a composite of my idea:

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Where did you find the Map chair?

• vasi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am now getting some ideas for component pieces, odds pieces; I bought this bookcase and I am wondering about the round barrel. note the height compared to the bookcase. They will be withing a few feet of each other. I show the diagram in my next post. Do this look good together?