SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Can I cheat a jam extension?

ontariomom
11 years ago

Hi,

As discussed in another thread, I have an extra brand new fibergalss window that is a little short for the intended room. One idea that I have been discussing on the kitchen forum, is taking the available, short window to the kitchen and adding it as a second window in that room. The kitchen is rather dark so the natural light would be a bonus. Problem is the available window is 1 inch shorter than the existing kitchen window. It is also narrower, but that is less of a concern. The inner wall on this side of the house is just framed in (outer area is sided, but we would be prepared to fix the siding if the window was installed).

My question for you window experts is as follows: is there a way to cheat the jam extension and/or trim to essentially make the two kitchen windows look as if they are the same height? I have posted the proposed inside wall showing the two windows. The picture shows the existing window with lower trim, and the available window without lower trim as I show the counter under the available window higher to accommodate a wall oven. The kitchen folks are not liking the slight raise in counter height, so that idea will likely be scrapped.

Thanks in advance!

Carol

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 21:07

Comments (7)