SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smaloney_gw

Help me figure out what to do with a breakfast room/entry?

smaloney
12 years ago

We are remodeling our galley kitchen and I can't quite finalize the plan without making a firm decision on what to do with the breakfast room that is attached to it. The kitchen itself is 7.5' x 12' and is a true corridor kitchen connecting the front room of the house (which was probably a dining or living room when it was first built) to an addition which contains our much-used living and dining rooms. I have gotten a lot of good advice on the GW Kitchens forum and have a layout that I'm pretty happy with for the galley itself.

But I still need to figure out what to do with the breakfast room - I want to include some casual eating space, storage space, and a desk for a computer that I'd use for quick info and my kids would use for homework/surfing the net. I'm trying to decide between either extending some cabinets and a seating area in the breakfast room with a built in desk OR use my current 60" long rectangular kitchen table in there with a settee/bench and some chairs and find a desk that will look nice as well.

The GW kitchen gurus initially talked me out of extending the cabinets and building in a desk and eating area in the breakfast room - basically said it would look silly unless I ripped the walls out (which I don't want to do because they are load-bearing and it's just not worth it to me.) I can't widen the galley because that's where all the utilities are and there's really nowhere else for them to go. But as I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the layout for the galley kitchen, I'm so tempted to have the kitchen guy add in cabinets for a desk and peninsula seating in the breakfast room. If it's a mistake, of course, I'm going to regret it, and it will be a lot harder to change than just regular furniture.

I'd love any suggestions, input, ideas - I have 2 active boys and no basement, so I really need to maximize my living space on the first floor. I've included a rough overview of the first room of the house, - the other rooms include a tiny playroom, small office, dining and living rooms, plus a long skinny bathroom and a similarly-sized utility room. I've also included a mockup of what the galley should look like post-renovation - the cabinetry won't be Ikea but I used the software because it was easy.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Sorry for the long post!! Thanks so much for any advice or input!

Comments (6)