SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stubaby_gw

Terminating Unused BX/Armored Cable

stubaby
16 years ago

I am going to install an OTR (Over the Range) speedcook oven. Right now I have a vent hood installed where the oven will eventually be installed. The vent is powered by about a foot of BX/Armor cable that comes through the drywall & terminates in a junction box inside the hood. This hood circuit is shared with other receptacles in the kitchen and is no longer of use to me, but I want to keep it intact for possible future use. The speedcook oven requires a dedicated 20A circuit in the upper cabinet. I have already installed this dedicated circuit in the cabinet. I need to cap off the BX/Armored since it is no longer needed. I was looking for the best and easiest method to do this. I was just going to enlarge the hole in the drywall where the BX exits, install a handy box in the drywall (as if I were installing a receptacle at that location) and then terminate the wire nutted wires and the BX in this box and install a blank cover. Since this box & cover would be behind the microwave/speedcook oven, I was wondering if there would be clearance issues with the back wall when installing the oven. I do not yet have the oven, so I wanted to ask those of you that have installed OTR ranges & microwaves if there is sufficient clearances behind these devices to accommodate the 1/4 inch or so of the blank cover on the handy box or do these appliances install completely flush with the drywall? I guess I could also try to terminate this BX in the upper cabinet, but that would require much more drywall work, and involve more work in general. So, what do you think? Can I/should I terminate it behind the oven or should I try to relocate it to the upper cabinet and terminate it there? I believe either method would meet the requirement for accessibility to a junction box. Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)