SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhousepains999

Replacement windows in Central Jersey

newhousepains999
10 years ago

Recently I bought my first house in New Jersey. Before moving in, I wanted to have some work done, including replacing the 20ies era windows which were drafty and noisy.

Really having no idea about windows, I asked for anderson windows. From what I saw at HD looked and worked ok. When I asked my contractor to install those, he "recommended" a brand which, he claimed, were better then the american craftsman by Anderson at HD. As I made the mistake to trust him, I did not ask anything more as I assumed there could not be much difference between windows and that anything was better then the wooden, single pane windows which were there.

Boy was I wrong!!! They "installed" windows from a company called "North East" from Merrick NY. They are real junk. The windows are double hung, but many of top panes smack down when the lower one is closed. Worse off, I can hear the traffic outside the house and even people speaking on the sidewalk. They are louder and draftier then the previous ones, which was confirmed by the former owner who came over to see the completed renovations.

Again, not knowing anything but brand names, I called in Pella and Replacement by Anderson to give me a quote. Both reps told me the windows were installed incorrectly. pretty basic things, like expanding foam between the windows and house were not employed and there was not even any silicone on the outside of the window.

Needless to say, when I was talking to a friend, she told me about this site and that they used it after installing Anderson and having leaking issues.

I have really no recourse to have the contractors replace the windows. They refuse to admit that expanding foam is important or that silicone should be used on the outside.

I have to replace these windows ASAP as it is very uncomfortable, however I do not want to make the same mistake.

Pella recommended the 350 series window with the thicker glass option for the side of the house which faces the street for noise reduction. They quoted me approx 622 per window for all the windows installed (blended rate with 350 series windows 10 with the thicker glass and 8 with the normal glass.) As I will have to eat the price of the garbage "North East" windows, this is around the most I can afford. I have seen that people are recommending brands I have never heard of before, such as starmark and others, however each requires a dealer appointment to come over and give me the 'spiel' for 1.5 hours or so. I am trying to find the best price for a window that is not drafty and has the best noise reduction for the price. Can someone please recommend a brand or a couple of brands which have the best functionality in these areas? I am really lost and can not afford to make another mistake.

Comments (14)