SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derek_h

1940s metal windows

Derek_H
10 years ago

Hi, I have original metal crank out windows for in my 1940 Tudor home that are in bad condition. Several need new glazing and/or have problems with the crank mechanism. Also, they let a lot of air through.

The previous owner dealt with that by installing metal strips about three inches in from the window and then had plastic storm windows made that magnetically attach to the metal strips. So with storm windows blocking the crank systems, many of which do not work properly, the windows are not very functional.

My contractor said it would be about $1500 per window to replace with high-quality wood in the same style, but that a much less expensive option would be to go with vinyl or fiberglass.

I see a lot of posts here saying that repairing the original windows is much better than replacing them with newer, cheaper ones; but would you all say the same thing about these poorly functioning, poorly insulated metal crank out windows? If so, any suggestions on making them more functional and efficient?

Thanks.

Comments (8)