SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klinger_gw

mosaic bench

klinger
16 years ago

I just finished my mosaic bench. Darned if my camera didn't run down it's batteries before I could take a picture of the finished thing. Any how here is the wip.

Started off with my bench mold and my pattern laid down on contact paper. Sprayed the mold and made sure all the pieces were nice and tight

I pour a thin layer and make sure it's between all the glass, then I vibrate it to get rid of all the air bubbles, I used a terra cotta colorant in my mix

I lay some rebar over my first layer to give it more strength,

Finished filling the mold and trowelled the top for a smooth finish.Started pouring the leg molds,

I unmolded tonight and it turned out good, I'm happy with it, tried to take a pic and boo hoo camera didn't work I'll try and take a pic tommorow and post,

Cindy

Comments (48)

• spiceyart
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

kinger....where did you get the molds to make a bench...I have always wanted to do this? Can you buy online?

• texaswild
    16 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS, KLINGER!!!!!!! You talented l'il he e e. Nope I better not say that - lots of new people wouldn't understand. I can't believe your talent in making a bench from SCRATCH. You are a multi-talented artist. I LOVE the design. AND, you l'il teaser! That is SOOOOOOOOOO bad - leaving us hanging for the unveiling!!!!!

• Related Discussions

patio and mosaic bench WIP

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks everyone! Gosh, if ya need a dose of 'feel good' this is the place to go!! Actually today was pretty warm out, must have been about 60. All you with extreme heat can keep it though. ;-) ConcreteP - yup, chicken wired the bench then cement rendered it. I was advised to make it very smooth but kinda couldn't wait to mosaic so some places are rough and bumpy. I will not make that mistake again! Karen, I forgot all about the rabbit. I need to finish it. I want to use it somewhere in the Gardyn - hence (does anybody use that word anymore?? HA) the medieval theme of it. And YES!! Start mosaicing. It's wonderful! And very addicting.
    ...See More

old screen door

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks everyone! Jeanne - I would LOVE some of the curly willow! That would look spectacular on the door. I've seen a couple of those trees here and they are GAWJUS! HAHAHA Do you know what they call that tree here? 'Tortured' willow. Isn't that awful? Karen/Jules/June - In a way I can't wait for warmer weather though I know that means my little ponds will need daily top-ups of water. We don't really get many 100+ days here, and at night it is extremely rare for it to stay warm. We sleep with the comforter on almost the entire year. Even the week after the fires it went cold and we were wearing our winter coats! We have crazy weather here. yup, Vickie, I have great neighhbors on both sides of me. That's a blessing for sure! HAHAHA!! June, the floating plants are called Azolla. It's a fern that floats on the water. Spreads very quickly and I'm already scooping it up and adding it to the compost heap.
    ...See More

I can play again!!

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks EVRYONE! I will do my best to keep all you NH people in color over your winter. You're all so kind to do the same for me when it's winter down here. HA! Marlene: It's a fushia. For some reason this one doesn't seem to mind being frosted so it's a keeper in my garden. My neighbor has a bunch in hanging baskets and said I can take cuttings anytime. Ooooww WEEEE! Can't wait to make cuttings and have those babies going. They are GORGEOUS! I'll have to take a pic to show you all. Below is a pic of the flowers from the fushia bush. Linda: HAHAHA red couch in front of purple wall... hmmmm... I'll be moving that couch to another room and getting a new one for that room one day. Float the bench??? HAHAHAHA you crack me up! Clare: except for helping with putting the frames up, DH stays away from all my projects. We have very different work ethics. HA! I'm slow and methodical and he's fast and a bit too haphazard for me. HA! My teachers were Mike Holmes, the crew from This Old House, and Karl Champley from Wasted Spaces. I'm a renovation/DIY TV junkie! And they teach me a lot. The internet is also another place I get info from. It's really not that difficult as long as you have the right tools. And I LOVE tools! And if you go to my album, where I linked to the house reno, you should be able to find the album on the mosaic bench. I have a lot of pics there that show how I made it. It's a styrofoam base that I wrapped in chicken wire then rendered with cement. It's so good to be back 'home' with you guys!! You sure do know how to make a body feel good! Cait
    ...See More

Recycling old mosaic tile bench top

Q

Comments (3)
    A couple other things I forgot to mention. I see by your post the bench is outside. Wood expands and contracts when wet,humidity, etc. so most likely why also your tiles popped off too. I would glue back on the pieces, grout and all, then re-grout and bring the bench inside as a peice of furniture. Start from scratch on another one to go outside. When putting a wood substrate outside, you need to keep it out of the elements really if even sealed properly if you want to keep it for decades. Not any where where wet can hit it. Grout sealer does repel water,oils and stains, but not considered waterproof and will definately not protect the wood underneath if not primed first. Pieces I have outside, I seal every 6 months regardless. I mosaiced a wood chair for my kitchen. go to' http://photos.yahoo.com/pattiwatti43 I think its under "mosaics" Another fantastic group is mosaicartists.org under yahoo groups. a wealth of info and you can really self teach yourself with their info as I did. have fun.good luck Patti
    ...See More
  • Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Gotta LOVE a gal with her own molds and a Cee-ment mixer!!!
    Bless her lil heart!!! She has a serious mold problem... dozens!!ha!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow LOVE THAT!! Looking for the unmolded picture.

Wow, your own cement mixer????????? I'm impressed!!

Maria

• klinger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well Shoot!! My stupid camera is broken I guess, I charged the batteries and it still isn't working, I played with all the settings too. It's fairly old and been all over the place with me. I guess it's time to buy a new one.I'm sorry the finished picture will have to wait a bit I guess, waaaahhhhhh....
    Spiceyart, my bench mold is from a company called history molds, if you do a google search you'll find them. They have a few different molds, they're priced reasonably and provide good service. I've also bought a bunch of molds from ebay,gostatue, and concretesuccess are two guys with a huge amount of great molds.I do have my own cement mixer, it is my good friend hehe. It really saves my body from the hard job of mixing for bigger projects, I did three batches yesterday, filled a bunch of glass globes with cement to make spheres for a cancer fund raiser. Also made a plant pot and carved a face on the front, so it looks ike a big pot head. I'll try and get the camera thing fixed asap and get that bench shown.
    Cindy

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

WOW! very impressive....don't have the guts to try that yet.Love the design can't wait to see done..Annie

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

I'm IMPRESSED! Can't wait to see the sunny face on the bench top. Thanks for the source info on the molds. It bears investigating for sure. CALAM: Won't you please take a photo for CindyLW and post it for her?

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

This is so very cool! So now I have a question:

When you poured your mud for the first layer, does your recipe inlude gravel? If so, doesn't the gravel sink to the bottom... which ends up on the top? Or do you wait to add gravel to your second layer -- the one that covers the rebar? Hope this makes sense.

Can't wait to see the finished bench!

Nancy

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

Forgot I had another question for Klinger:

I love the idea of using the glass globes to make your spheres, but do you end up with a flat section? If so, do you just leave it that way or do you hand sculpt that part to round it out?

I've covered three BB-sized rubber balls with cement/sand mix and it's not been ideal. I can only do one half at a time, so it's been difficult to get things perfectly rounded-- one turned out good, the other two are kind of lopsided. Plus it's really tedious work. I wouldn't mind that so much, if I ended up with something really good.

I then made two half molds, thinking that I could pour the two halves, then mortar those halves together. This BB-sized ball would be heavy if it were solid concrete, but I think it will work. Does your experience agree that this will work?

My next problem is that I have a much larger rubber ball I want to do. I was going with the same idea-- made a mold of half of it so far and want to do the second half, so I can do both halves at the same time, but need to know something before I spend time and the money for more mold materials. This sucker would be way too heavy for me if it was solid concrete, so I was thinking to just line the molds with my cement mix (maybe 2 inches thick walls), then somehow connect the two halves. Will it be strong enough? I hope this makes sense, because I'm driving myself nuts with the what-ifs.

Nancy

• spiceyart
    16 years ago

Question...why do you have tape on the "leg molds"? Did they crack? I am looking around for some bench molds. Do you recommend that the legs be "fluted" like yours, or can they be flat all the way down?

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

oooh, klinger! I'm so glad you shared this with us. I have a yearning to do this, also!! I just love all your concrete stuff, so I'm really anxious to see the next picture!

so...sorry if this is stupid, but....so you are putting the glass on the sticky side of the contact paper, and then when you unmold you are able to peel the contact paper off?

When you put the rebar on top of your first layer - did you have to let it sit awhile first?

Did you put rebar into the leg molds, also?

Can hardly wait for the next picture!!!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Cindy, what a wonderful photo explanation! I love your sunshine design! Can't wait to see the final, unmolded bench.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

dang, I came back to see it finished... boo hoo

Hey JANE! - run on over to klinger's and snap a pic will ya? lol

very cool Klinger!

do you spray release on the mold, under the contact paper? then what, you peel the paper off after you demold?

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

That's it!!! I'm going first thing in the morning!!! Hopefully there isn't too many garage sales between my place and hers, I should get one of those bumper stickers: This vehicle stops at ALL garage sales!!!heh heh!

• klinger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Morning all, if you can beleive it I went after work last night and got a new camera,it was 10 oclock. so pretty dark out. Now it's pouring rain and I have to go back to work again,jeesh...I hope Janie will come by and take a pic, otherwise after work I'll brave the rain and go out and snap a shot. I actually have to go out and water it any how.Keeping concrete damp for the first week will make it sure slower and stronger. I just throw an old towel over top, and then wet it, and cover in plastic.
    Madhabitz, usually I will use a sand and portland mix for the top of the bench, 3 parts sand to 1 part portland. Then you can use a mix with a larger aggregate for the rest of it. The larger aggregate will give it more strength. I've made a lot of these though, and have even done a hypertufa mix for a more rustic sort of look. The globe light fixtures I make do have flat bottoms, I don't consider that to be bad, that part just sits on the ground and you really can't tell. Your idea of making a mold should work, the company history stones I mentioned has got a mold for making spheres , which is two sides that go together. I will insert styrafoam in to my spheres to both lighten them and to use less mix. I use styrafoam peanuts or just chunks of it. As long as it isn't right at the edge of the globe you'll never see it.I 've done an exersize ball with concrete mix. I think to be succesful with it you need to plan on it taking some time, and being done in several stages. I also used acrylic admix, metakaolin, and silica fume, and fibres to make it so the ball is only about 1 inch thick.
    Spiceyart, those leg molds have given me some challenges. They are the hardest thing to unmold you would ever believe. It took me a while to figure out why, the concreter mix is so heavy that it wows the mold out a tiny bit. Then when the mix cures it is slightly larger than the opening and a b***ch to get out. (pardon my french, but it really was that bad). I tried using a hiardryer to soften the mold, pouring warm water over it and hammering them out. So there is two solutions, one would be to make a mother mold, which would mean having a solid base for the mold to sit in while I poured so the cement couldn't wow out. My choice was to cut the ends of the mold, and duct tape them together when I poured, untape them to remove. Now it is easy, I don't recommend any particular shape, just what ever you like.
    Lyndalu, yes all the glass is stuck on to the contact paper. It holds it in place, then when you pour your mix over it fills in all the cracks like grout. When the concrete is set you can un mold and peel your paper off, it's like opening a christmas present, some times there will be a bit of seepage and then I use a nylon scrubby to clean it off.I don't let the rebar sit. Some information will tell you rebar will rust in concrete and that you should spray paint it with a rustoleum type paint first. Sometimes I do it, this time I didn't. I don't bother reinforcing the legs they are solid and it's more an expanse that you need it for. This technique is great for stepping stones also.
    I spray a special concrete release, but you can use pam, or vaseline as a lubricant.
    Sure hope Janie can come take a shot,otherwie I'll try out the new camera tonite and get this posted, ( I hope)
    Cindy

• klinger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a picture of some of the other benchs I made using this technique

{{gwi:68366}}
    Cindy

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Read grunt/groan/whine - I want some benches, but I don't think I'll ever try one cuz it looks to haaaaaarrrddd - whine. Those are BEAUTIFUL, and the size fits so beautifully anywhere. You are SOOOOOOOOOo talented!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I want some too!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm going to start small and do some indirect stepping stones. If that works, I may move up!!

I know my garden NEEDS one of those!! (maybe I can hide some weeds with it LOL!)

Maria

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Just love your benches, Cindy. They are beautiful and you have such cute little figurines for accents. What a beautiful garden you must have to walk around and have all of these. Just can't wait to see the latest!!!

• spiceyart
    16 years ago

Klinger - Ok...I am ready to make a bench...i am convinced that i MUST do this with my own funky, spicy, art style. I need you opinion though...

I had asked about the types of legs you use as I am concerned about the stability. It would seem as though a leg with a wider base would be more stable than one the same dimensions all the way down (long and flat). The mold I am looking at has this type of straigh and simple design, and my question is if you think a bench made using this mold would have good stability?

Here the link to the site of the one I would like to purchase.

http://www.moldcreations.com/BENCH-SET-CONCRETE-MOLD-p/9001.htm

Please tell me what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mold I want to order for bench

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

Hi Klinger...thanks so much for taking the time to answer all our questions. Again, so glad you shared this with words and pictures. And thanks for posting your completed benches....JUST BEAUTIFUL! I love them all.

• spiceyart
    16 years ago

Klinger-I need more advice please. I found this recipe on from an ebay mold seler on the mix for the bench. it is different than yours

here it is - she uses portland cement mixing sand and pea gravel to the consistency of a pancake batter.

1 part portland cement

1 part sand

2 parts pea gravel

note-Pea gravel will add strength

• klinger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I got the new camera to work. I am just taking a picture of the bench top. I want to let it sit and cure for a week before I put it on top of the legs,
    {{gwi:2088109}}
    The color will lighten slightly as the bench cures.
    Slow these are not so hard, beleive me they are not harder than your recent bathroom project was. I know you can make one.
    Spicyart, the mold link you showed me looks great, it seems like a reasonable price too. Usually when they sell a bench mold you just get one leg with it, and then you just cast the leg twice. The mix suggested by the ebay seller is fine. The three to one rule is good, and I don't personally use pea gravel as it is rounded, the more angular your aggregate is the stronger it will be. I would recommend the rebar for sure.I'll post a pic of the bench in place in my yard at the end of the week.Concrete and mosaic really go well together, opens up lots of options
    Cindy

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

oh, WOW! It's beautiful....I love it!!

• spiceyart
    16 years ago

Cindy - I hate to bug you again but I am just not getting it when you describe aggregate...i think i barely know what aggregate is, and you are saying pea gravel is too rounded...well what is the alternative option that you describe as angular?...

You also say that you use a different recipe for the top and another recipe for the bottom legs.

Can you be more specific?...I hope i am not being too anal, if so just please tell me...I just am anxious to try this and i don't want to have my bench fall apart!LOL!

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

hi spicey....you might want to check out a book from the library...I'm a total beginner at working with concrete...but have learned a lot from Sherri Warner Hunter's books....I believe one of her books is NOT in print any more - but her Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden is really good. I checked it out from the library first, but liked it so much that I bought it. I love to have it to refer back to.

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

WOW i want one soooooo bad im going to make hubby get me a mold for my birthday and thanks to hubbys line of work we have a heavy duty concrete mixer we were going to sell it because its only benn used 3 times in the two years we've had it and for the amount we paid it hasnt brought in as many side jobs as my hubby had originally thought masonry trades have really slowed down arround here which is why he switched to operating a crane always handy to have many skills in life so far he has been a concrete man a block and brick and stone mason a superintendent a crane operator and a cabinet maker LOL

• klinger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad you like it. I think the colors will look good in my yard.
    Spicey , if you go to the hypertufa forum on garden eb there will be lot's of interesting postings about different mixes. Aggregate is what ever you add to your portland cement . Pea gravel around here is small rounded pieces of gravel. Gravel with more angular sharper pieces will give a mix more strength than rounded pieces. For this bench I used a sand mix which was quite rough, it had a mix of fine sand and small pieces of sharp gravel in it. I also used a small amount of fibres for additional strength, and a bit of silica fume. Not all this is necessary, I have these ingredients cause I like playing with cement and doing all kinds of projects.
    Lyndalu, is right, Sherri Warner Hunters book is a fabulous source of information on all types of concrete work. I have had her one book for years and just ordered her second one very recently on line, hope it arrives in the next week or so.
    Shelly, lucky you having a multi talented man and a cement mixer to play with. You can make your own bench mold from wood also if you just want a basic shaped one.
    Cindy

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Cindy,
    I love your benches and your groupings with them look so great!

Barb

• texaswild
    16 years ago

KLINGER: It's just BEAUTIFUL. Just yesterday as I was winding the string for my weedeater at the garage, I needed a place to sit, and wished I had a bench nearby. Think I'll just make a bench by the Riana technique. After all, that was the main purpose of taking her workshop - to make a bench.

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

That is BEAUTIFUL!! I love how you posted pics from start to finish. I guess it would be a lot of work to mix that much cement without a cement mixer. I saw a plastic rolling thing at the hardware store, looked like it would be handy for mixing.

• klinger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Go for it Slow, I'm sure with your talent it'll turn out beautifully.,
    Barb glad you like them. I find cause they're not to big I can tuck them into all sorts of places and then they look cute when I put some sort of a little figure on them.
    Squirrelly, I've made lots of them before I got my mixer. It took about three wheel barrow fulls of mix for a bench. I have arthritis now and this is so much easier to just let the mixer do the hard stuff. Easy is good I think,
    Cindy

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Oh very pretty Sunshine!!!! can we see another pic after it lightens, I'd like to see the difference.

Beautiful!

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Cindylw: WONDERFUL! I've been looking at the sites you mentioned in an earlier post--there are some wonderful path edgers and benches and LOTS of goodies! I'm loving all your benches and art! Thank you for sharing friend.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

We have our "Queens" on this forum: Klinger, The Queen of Cement, Slow, The Queen of Bling, Wench, The Queen of GOG!!!! The Stars that Shine!!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

And CALAMITY JANEYBOBANITY- the QUEEN OF EVERTHANG!!!!! Hey, Calam - that's Texan for everything.

• spiceyart
    16 years ago

Thx for the tip on the Sherri Warner Hunter Books. Just what I needed to fill in the blanks.

I found 2 of her books on AMAZON...used as low as $9.99

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Sherri Warner Hunter Books

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

WOW! I want one of those. They are just incredibly beautiful. Very, very professional, I bet you have no problem selling those, although that would be hard to do, I would keep all of them. When people come over, each one can sit on a bench of choice.
    Bianchi

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Cindy, your bench looks great! Beautiful!

Spiceyart, the Sherri Warner Hunter books have all of the recipes for cement projects and she explains the different ingredients like aggregates. I have The Creative Garden Ornaments for the Yard. You will love her books!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Came out great Cindy!! Can't wait to do some work with concrete! have to finish a thing or two first.

Maria

• klinger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad you all like this bench. I hope some more of you will be encouraged to try some cement and mosaic projects, if you're into gardening you can sure make lot's of creative yard art for not a lot of money this way. Bianchi, I've sold several of them, and they were an easy sell. This one is for me, my hubby says I already have enough stuff in the yard, but I think you can never have to much.Those books for 9.99 are a great value, there is a huge amount of really good info in there.
    Cindy

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Love the benches klinger! Definate inspiration for giving this kind of project a try.

• klinger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the bench finished in it's spot in my garden. It's done most of it's fading, will fade minimally more. I'll let it cure for another few weeks, and then I'll give it a coat of some sealer,
    {{gwi:2088111}}
    Cindy

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

oh, klinger...I've been looking forward to that picture. It's just beautiful. It's a great setting for it. And it's just gorgeous. You did a great job on the color of the concrete, too - I love it!!

• jaspersmommy
    16 years ago

Oh couldn't you just see 4 of them surrounding a patio table. Sooo pretty. I have ordered molds from that company for edgers and stepping stones, can't wait to get started.
    Nice job! Dena

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Simply beautiful. And to think - all from scratch. You're a real pro, KLINGER!

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

Hey Cindy, your bench turned out just gorgeous. Gads, you're good at this cement stuff!

I read your responses to my questions (thank you!!) before I moved on with my balls, but then never made it back to the forum. I had one of those D'oh! moments when I read your idea about filling with styrofoam. Of course! I used your idea, then coated the top of each half with my mortar, then smooshed the halves together. It worked great, so thank you!

Now a couple more questions: are you messing around with that one guy's "My Mud" recipe (from the Hypertufa forum)? I'm asking, because the metakaolin and silica fume sounds really familiar, but it's been a long long time since I read about it. I don't really know what they do, though-- add strength or are they for surface finish texture?

The fibers are something I've been looking to find, but haven't had any luck yet. Seems to me they are the perfect way to go for some of these projects.

Thanks Cindy!

Nancy

• klinger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Nancy, yes I've experimented with the "my mud" formula. The purpose of the formula was to give very strong light weight concrete. It works well for making large spheres etc where the weight needs to be as light as possible and still keep the strength. If you can't find fibres then I suspect that finding the other ingredients will be a challenge. I had a real hard time with it.I've heard you can even cut nylon rope into small pieces and seperate the fibres to use for extra strength in a mix.
    Cindy

Sponsored