SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ranchreno_gw

Window grille options - need opinions!

ranchreno
18 years ago

We are going with either Anderson 400 or Marvin Integrity and are trying to decide on a grille pattern and style. I realize that I'll have more options with the Andersons.

The house is a new construction, dark red brick fairly traditional home, although I would describe our style as transitional (think Pottery Barn catalog). I will probably try to work in some craftsman style touches with shaker kitchen cabs and our staircase woodwork.

Need to order windows early next week and are disagreeing on whether to put the grid over entire window (very common here), or just upper sashes (most windows are double hung). I like the upper sashes only because it offers less obstruction while still having some sort of design element. Also conveys that "modified colonial" look that I think accurately describes our style. Where the traditional full grid says true colonial to me. Also might consider the architectural style that is more craftsman in nature (more open middle, single vertical and horizontal dividers near edges). Any thoughts on the "look" that different grid patterns give a house? Old vs. new, etc.

Also trying to decide on removable or in-between-glass grilles, true divided light, etc. Love the look of permanent grilles both in and out, but seems like it would be hard to clean. Especially if I lose the battle and we've got 50 windows with a millions little squares to clean individually!

Sorry this is so long, but really would appreciate some un-biased opinions.

Thanks!

Comments (9)