SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abcxxyy123

Help choosing non-brown roof for fake Tudor

abcxxyy123
9 years ago

I live in a "fake Tudor". (It's from the 70s.). It is very very brown. Roof, trim, doors, gutters, downspouts, garage door, vertical cedar siding on 1/2 of first floor (wrapping around the garage). The rest of the exterior is brown-red brick on the other half of the first floor and a cream-colored fake stucco with brown trim on the second floor.

The roof is being replaced in a few weeks due to age and condition. I'm not up to doing it this year, but the cedar siding is also in bad shape. Many of the boards need to be replaced, and they don't even make those sites board anymore. I am leaning towards replacing it with a Hardie board in the future. I am not a fan of all of the brown. I do not like to spend that much money on more brown, so I am looking to pick a roof color that goes with the brown that I have to live with for now, but will also go with a nice gray or blue when I replace the siding. I realize at that point, I will have to paint the trim and the gutters and downspouts and garage doors, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

It's going to be a GAF Timberline HD roof. I am thinking about Pewter Gray or Fox Hollow Gray. The Fox Hollow appeals more, but I'm worried that it's too light, will show stains, and just might not look right with the brown. I was originally drawn to the Williamsburg Slate, but I fear that the reddish aspect of it will just be out of place.

Any advice on these colors, or others I might have missed? I tried to use the GAF Photo creator site. I struck out on two counts: it wouldn't do anything with the photo I uploaded, it just completely malfunctions. And then I clicked on a picture of the Tudor example that's closest to my house but the link led to an entirely different house.

Comments (15)