SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bloozeman

Window Type and Tempered Glass Help

bloozeman
15 years ago

All,

My window and door replacement remodeling project includes replacing 2 large windows (both are roughly 6' x 6') that are currently configured as double single hung windows. Given that they are both within 18" of the floor I know that I need tempered glass for them to meet the local building codes.

One of the window and doors subcontractors I had out to measure and provide quotes for Milgard's line of windows suggested that I keep the double single hung configuration because that way just the sash would need to be tempered which would save me some money. They have provided me quotes for Milgard's vinyl Style Line as well as fiberglass Ultra windows. I am currently leaning towards the Style Line since they will meet my needs and come in at a lower price point.

Another contractor that came out to measure and provide a bid for Weather Shield windows provided advice against having the sash tempered and the remainder of the window not because he said that the glass "may" look different.

I was hoping for some advice regarding just tempering the sash and whether that may be obvious, i.e., the sash glass and non-sash glass are visibly different when looking through them. Also, what other window configuration may be more appropriate. Casement? However, in any other configuration I will definitely have to get the entire window tempered.

Thanks in advance.

-Ray

Comments (3)