SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dljmth

Kolbe, Eagle, LoE options for SHGC?

dljmth
12 years ago

I am shopping for windows (some new, some replacement) for primarily South-facing windows and a few East windows. We are in a temperate climate in the SF Bay area - 55F/35F in Winter and 60F/77F in Summer. Given all the posting and research on various forums (especially this link:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/windows/msg0316261816789.html?22

thanks oberon!), and our architects rec, we think we should be looking at windows with a higher SHGC as we are primarily a "heating climate". There are some summer days when we bake from the heat, but they are few. Plus the architect has designed overhangs for some of the sunnier spots.

I have looked at Marvin, Loewen, Kolbe, Eagle and Jeldwen just to get an initial baseline. They all use Cardinal glass and in fact they all offer as their standard LoE-272 EXCEPT Kolbe which uses LoE-270 (anyone know why?). I've ruled out Marvin (not in our budget). So that leaves Loewen, Kolbe, Eagle and Jeldwen. Here is what I was able to gather from their quotes for a baseline/sample window. I have to go back and ask for which of these companies offer the Cardinal LoE-180 option, but this is my place to start (and some of our East windows will use standard anyway).

Casement 36" x 48" Aluminum Clad, wood interior, Double Pane/Argon fill

Kolbe (270) U=0.35, SHGC=0.25, VT=0.46

Eagle (272) U=0.30, SHGC=0.29, VT=0.49

Jeldwen (272) U=0.33, SHGC=0.26, VT=0.48

I'm still waiting for Loewen's official numbers based on my quote, but I'm guessing they will probably be a little better all around based on what I could see as a very high quality window.

Price-wise from most to least expensive it's:

Loewen

Kolbe

Eagle

Jeldwen

So, for the price/value it seems like Eagle might be a good choice for us. Has anyone had experience with Eagle either good/bad? Any thoughts on their new Aluminum clad casements with the Fibrex thermal barrier? (I'm guessing that is how they get the better Uvalue??)

I actually liked the aesthetics of the Kolbe window more than Eagle, but their numbers aren't as good. I also really liked the Loewen product as it feels so solid but that option might prove beyond our budget. Jeldwen's were OK, but I didn't quite feel as solid as Eagle or Kolbe so I'm really not considering them any longer.

Thoughts??

Thanks!!

Comments (16)