SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kansasguy

New construction window question

kansasguy
10 years ago

Hi all,

I've been perusing these forums off and on for several years - the info and experience here is amazing. I only recently joined to ask a couple of specific questions regarding new construction window installation. I plan to install the windows myself. I'll try to provide as much detail as I can regarding my circumstance.

I have a town home built in 1971 that still has the original aluminum framed slider windows. They are installed with a nailing fin directly against the stud on the outside of the rough opening, with 3/8" plywood sheathing over the nailing fin, 2x3" wood trim over the sheathing, and wood clapboard siding abutting the sides, top and bottom of the 2x3 trim. The trim is caulked to the window on one side and to the siding on the other. I'm not convinced there is any other sealing inside of that. I am anticipating some water damage to the rough opening.

Inside the home, there is drywall inside the rough opening all the way to the aluminum frame on the sides and top. There is a 1x6 stool on the bottom (butts up against the inside of the frame - does not go under it), caulked to the window, and .5" x 1.5" trim tacked around the sides and top, which is also caulked to the window.

My plan for the interior is to cut the bead of caulk around the trim and stool then remove them both so I can cut the drywall back, since I'm counting on the jamb depth of the new window being greater than that of the existing window. For the exterior, I'll cut the caulk, remove the trim, then use a circular saw to plunge-cut into the sheathing just outside the nailing fin so I'm able to pull those nails and get the window out.

Here's my question. I read conflicting opinions on whether new construction windows should be installed over or under sheathing. Should I cut strips of 3/8" plywood to replace the sheathing I have to cut back, and screw it in place so I have a surface flush with the old sheathing and install sill pan over that, or should I just put in the sill pan, making sure the flex tape adheres to the outside edge of the stud then overlaps the old sheathing?

Next up, when re-installing the exterior trim, I'll be using PVC brick mould rather than wood. Is it safe to assume that caulking to the side of the window and back to the siding is the extent of the sealing I'll need to do?

Comments (6)