SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
incognitomom_gw

So sick of food around here!!!

incognitomom
12 years ago

We finally got over the issue of my ss sneaking junk food in the middle of the night. We grounded him from desserts and junk for 2 weeks. That meant no soda if we were at a restaurant, no treat in his lunch, no dessert at night when others were having it, no candy on Easter, etc. We have not had any issues with it since. The whole time we also banned him from snacking in between meals. He was eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner without any problems :)

Well now my husband is back to letting him constantly snack and we are having trouble getting him to eat dinner. SS comes home from school and wants a snack. I have always said if the kids are hungry in between meals they should have some fruit or veggies to snack on. But dh has been letting them have whatever they want (hot dogs, PB&J sandwiches, chips, etc) and I am having problems with nobody being hungry at dinner. I have asked dh to stop doing this and go back to fruits and veggies.

Yesterday around 4 ss is hungry. Dh tells him to go ahead and get something to eat. SS makes a PB&J sandwich and gets a pickle!!! I pull dh aside after and tell him I am not ok with this because its like a meal to a kid ss's age and I am about to cook dinner!!! A little while later (when dinner is almost done) sd walks into the kitchen and makes herself a PB&J. I ask her who said she could eat that now and she says nobody, but ss had one. She was right so I did not stop her.

I went and told dh I am no longer going to bother cooking dinners if he is going to let the kids make meals as snacks. He got angry and said this is home and the kids should feel comfortable in their home and eat what they want. I said they are kids and need our guidance when it comes to food. I told him I am going back to ONLY fruits and veggies between meals and if he does not support me I am no longer cooking dinners.

Last night I made shish-ka-bobs with steak, onions, green peppers, and pineapple. The kids love these usually, but sd and ss were full at dinner time and barely ate. Hmmmm...wonder why!

After that dh agreed we can go back to only fruits and veggies for snacks. LOL

Did I mention I am sick of food issues????

Comments (65)

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

PB has enormous fat content, there are other sources of protein and vitamin out there, tablespoon is OK but when we are talking about sandwich it sounds petty bad to me.

• lovehadley
    12 years ago

Yeah, I meant to say that about peanut butter, too.

We buy an organic, natural brand----no sugar added, the kind with the oil on top that you have to mix in. It's healthy in moderation.

As for PB& J, I buy the Simply Fruit jelly---no sugar added.

Natural peanut butter, simply fruit jelly on whole wheat bread = a healthy sandwich IMO.

• Related Discussions

I'm so sick of gnats...

Q

Comments (7)
    Part of the reason fungus gnats hang out is because the environment can support them, and they love a moist, humid atmosphere. If you keep your plants a touch on the dry side for a few weeks, the gnats will go elsewhere to find a livable environment. Joopitr will have a harder time getting rid of them due to the fact that it's necessary to have that humid environment, and the foods they love, fruits and partially decomposed fruits, are very available. Sprays can't be used around certain animals, so I'd recommend the little yellow sticky cards to place near your plants. They will attract the adult fungus gnats, and once you rid the area of the consecutive hatchings, which will take a while, they shouldn't be a huge problem. I had a fairly large infestation last year... I killed the adults with a flyswatter, and sprayed for the hatchlings. I also cut back on the watering a bit, and keeping the environment drier helped, also. Good luck!
    ...See More

Food from around the world...kind of.

Q

Comments (38)
    Sharon, I did use the recipe and method in Charcuterie. I found that the last step, which is steaming the pastrami for a couple of hours, really helps cut the saltiness, the first batch I sliced and froze, and didn't steam. It was far too salty. David, Elery has a MasterBuilt electric smoker. It's in my garage, so he uses it year round. My garage is not heated, and the electronic display doesn't like it when it's under 35F or so, so we have to remove it, take it inside and warm it up, then put it back on. Thankfully, it's easy to do. We smoked the pastrami over cherry wood, the last one we did with apple. Why did we choose those types? Because I pruned the apple and cherry trees last spring and that's what we had. I think Jessica was referring to the deli because of my reference to pastrami... Annie
    ...See More

So sick of being sick!

Q

Comments (11)
    If you have a really heavy congested chest, you can make a mustard plaster to move everything out - I grew up with this before the time of OTC meds everywhere... Take a hot mustard powder like keens or a dijon mustard, only about a tbsp, mix 2 tbsp of flour with water to make a paste, add the mustard, butter onto a wet cloth and stick it on your chest. Watch your skin carefully, it should not stay on longer than 10 minutes, or remove sooner if you skin is turning red. You will break out in a sweat, cough a lot (it breaks up chest cold gunk). DO NOT go outdoors. Do change any sweaty clothing as needed and stay under blankets or very warm. This actually does shock the body but if your at wits end with a congested chest, this works wonders and is an very old remedy. I had a neighbour do this for her extremely ill asthmatic daughter who she just brought back from emergency. After a bought of coughing she was able to breathe again and get to sleep while her medications from the hospital kicked in. She was coughing so bad I could hear her 2 floors down in my apartment. (((((((((((((((((((gwanny2three and DH))))))))))))))))))))))
    ...See More

cat is so sick

Q

Comments (29)
    We have straggled out again, and we are parched []]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]](that was a note from kitty that just walked on my keyboard...your cats and dogs will have to decipher it for you...it seems to be a new binary based language). Kitty has a big history with the vet. I do have nasty neighbors. One of them baited her with a can of Tuna into a small squirrel trap...and while kitty is small and keeps her girly figure, she has unusually long legs and was faster than a speeding bullet when she ran. The neighbors left her trapped over 17 hours before they contacted me. At that point, there were not to many humans kitty wanted to be around, she became a fraidy cat. Many of the people who visted the house, identified her in the trap and still left her there without contacting me. It took her over a year to even walk over to my father. He used to walk around, muttering to himself "why is she like this, why is she afraid of me? I didn't hurt her!" I would always tell him that it was because her brain was half the size of an avocado pit and it couldn't store more information than 'humans attacked me'. His brain must have not been much larger ... that fact never really sunk in. Miss half-a-walnut-shell-sized-brain did have enough room to recognize "TOWEL" "BLANKET" "PILL POPPER" "PILL" and the examination is over the minute a "THERMOMETER" comes in view. She got sick from insect bites and that being the one summer day that dipped down to the low 40's high 30's (in temperature at night), a touch of Pneumonia followed. She has a dislocated vertebrae, she compensates for it well. You still feel it running your fingers down her spine. There were many vet appointments following the incident. That was almost eight years ago. The vet just calls her feral now. I don't believe that is technically accurate, she's just has had it with humans and she is almost ready to put me in the 'had it' category. She's difficult to handle. Since the trapping, she's not the cat I originally had. BT (before trapping) every time the doorbell would ring, she would be the first at the door, ready to lead the visitors back to the family room, or where ever my mother was holding court. Those days are long gone. There's a person here and there she will warm up to without introduction, but those chosen individuals are few and far between. The vet used to use anesthesia(sp?) just to examine her (post trapping). The vet did wrap her in a towel to show me how to administer the pill and after 15 minutes he said "See wasn't that easy?" My reply was "It took you and two assistants." The moistening of throat sounds like a good deal ...and might be at the base of this huge objection...besides not wanting to be told what to do. Its so obvious, no one ever thought of it. I will try your suggestion with a little tuna water, I'll see if that will bribe her into agreement. Skeptical but trying - thanks. marf
    ...See More
  • silversword
    12 years ago

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Peanut butter is high in fat, but it's GOOD fat, fat that is necessary for brain development.

Harvard Health, and Livestrong as well as CNN agree that it's a healthy part of a good diet.

It provides fiber, is good for the heart, and has been shown to lower cholesterol. It has vitamin E and niacin and those who are into working out know that a banana and peanut butter after a workout help rebuild muscles and provide important nutrients. It's pretty close to a superfood, and for picky kids it's a great source of fiber and vitamins. Combined with whole grain bread, there's not many snacks a person can eat that would be better for them.

A tablespoon or two is the serving size, there should be no reason to put more on a sandwich.

• lovehadley
    12 years ago

"A tablespoon or two is the serving size, there should be no reason to put more on a sandwich."

Exactly.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

There are of course worse foods than peanut butter, but since it has such high calories and fat content, I would be very careful in serving it to kids on a regular basis especially taking in consideration number of overweight children/adults. As any processed food with high calorie and fat content it is something to be careful about.

Lovehadley, you are right organic kind sounds way better.

• silversword
    12 years ago

I buy organic too, the kind you have to mix.

Peanut butter is a whole food. I don't think anyone is obese from eating too much of it. More likely that comes from eating white bread, sugar jelly, etc etc.

Cheese is also processed, has high calories and fat.

I doubt there is any kid who would eat so much peanut butter they'd be overweight as a result. It's a good part of a healthy diet. Nuts are great for kids in moderation, as anything. I see no need to be careful with peanut butter unless there is an allergy.

Dr. Sears actually recommends parents feed children peanut butter on toast for breakfast as an alternative for picky eaters who don't prefer cereal. It's better nutritionally, and longer lasting, than oatmeal.

• ceph
    12 years ago

I

• myfampg
    12 years ago

My kids don't like jelly because they are texture kids... Certain foods make them gag, jelly being one. But... They love pb.. Dd likes to get a spoon full and eat on it. Grosses me out but it doesn't keep her from eating dinner. If I had problems with her, I would probably not allow such a filling snack. But I do agree pb on celery or with sliced apples is a good snack.
    My dad has a pb sandwich every day. Very healthy man... He eats JIFF extra creamy lol Whoever said that people who work out know to eat bananas and pb after a work out. That is exactly when he has his pb, after his daily work out.

• lovehadley
    12 years ago

"But I do agree pb on celery or with sliced apples is a good snack"

Yep. SS is a picky eater and finding fruits he likes is a difficult task. He will eat oranges, sometimes bananas, but that's about it.

One thing he has always enjoyed snacking on is apple slices with peanut butter. I'm not a big fan (love each separately, just not together!) but SS and DD both eat that sometimes.

I think PB gets a bad rap, as do nuts in general, just because of the high fat content. What some people don't understand is that it's a good fat. Same as the fat in avocados or salmon.

Fat isn't a *bad word* nor is the word calories, either. I just had a conversation with DD about this. She had heard somewhere that calories are bad, and I tried to explain that calories are actually ENERGY. Our bodies need a certain amount of calories a day to live and be healthy. I explained that as long as we are burning----via excercise or just moving around---more calories than we're taking in, it's fine.

My dad always says if you run five miles a day, you can eat whatever you want.

Pretty true within reason!

I am also a big believer in the more active/healthy we are, the less our bodies CRAVE junk.

But even junk *on occasion* is not a bad thing. There is a Mexican restaurant DH and the kids and I LOVE, and every other Saturday or so, we will go there and ENJOY---chips, salsa, tacos, burriots, quesadillas, oodles of sour cream and sauces and all that.

Or sometimes instead we'll go out on a Sat or Sun morning for a big breakfast---I actually prefer THAT because I a) know that I'll burn off most of that throughout the day and b) if I eat a big meal early, I find I'm not hungry for the rest of the day.

I think a big thing is teaching kids to enjoy meals as a way we socialize and spend time with loved ones. Teaching them to eat slowly and enjoy the food rather than just shoveling it in and waiting for the next one is important, too.

I think so often----I notice this allll the time with my own kids----we eat out of boredom.

"I'm hungryyyyyy" in between meals is often code for "I'm booooooored" in our house.

• ceph
    12 years ago

LH said ""I'm hungryyyyyy" in between meals is often code for "I'm booooooored" in our house."

Absolutely!

We like junk food. Chips are enjoyed about once a week in our house. A few gummy candies or some chocolate covered peanuts are enjoyed almost daily.
    But we share the bag of chips and it's a small handful of candies.

Junk food is out there. Junk food is advertised in print, on the radio, on TV, and on the internet.
    I think my job is to teach the kids moderation and balance about food, not to demonize or revere any one food or group of foods.

I'm also very cautious about my language about food. Junk food is not called a "treat." It isn't spoken of as special, nor is it forbidden. It's just another food, but one that isn't good for you, so you should only have a little.

I limit SS's junk intake, because it can make him pretty squirrelly, but it's allowed in moderation.
    Caffeine is the exception. We don't let him have caffeine with us because it's a DISASTER for him.

• silversword
    12 years ago

ohhh Love, that's a hard one. How to tell our daughters that calories and fat are *good* for us, how to make sure they have a good relationship with food.

Nothing wrong with fat, and *they* are actually revising the findings that low-fat is better than full fat. Fat is so important. It's the fillers that are killing us and making us fat, not the fat.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

It seems that people on this forum often complain about their kids eating unhealthy or snacking nonstop or overeating or being very picky eaters or just simply have issues with food. I think it must be a common problem.

Fats, proteins, carbs are all needed for proper nutrition and chips/candy is not a big deal either IF there is no see above issues. Other than that I don't think it is wise to stuff one's pantry with whatever is there and then complain about kids having food issues, or feed your kids everything that Internet says is good.

If a child stuffs himself daily with peanut butter sandwiches all afternoon and then refuses to eat anything else I don't think it is wise to keep doing it just because Internet says it is good.

I think too many people do not give much thought to what they eat and especially what they feed their children. Food is a nutrition and a social thing as well as cultural but too often food becomes a problem, an issue, a struggle..And I believe parents are to blame.

• silversword
    12 years ago

PO1, I have to say, when I posted links stating the nutritional benefits of peanut butter it wasn't "Internet" saying that PB is good. It's respected, reputable nutritionists and doctors. For a lot of kids who are picky eaters PB is a really important part of their diet.

The reason I'm continuing with this is I feel you are misinformed and I'd hate for a mother to read your post and stop feeding her child peanut butter as a result. There have been tests that show when PB is incorporated in a healthy diet it can actually lead to weight loss, and nuts help to prevent Alzheimers.

That doesn't mean allowing a child to "stuff himself daily with peanut butter sandwiches" is good. There is a middle ground here.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

silvers I think you misunderstood what was the issue discussed. Child/children overeat on snacks including making themselves peanut butter sandwiches right before dinner and then not being hungry. That's the issue addressed. The issue was not health benefits or picky eaters or nutritional content of anything. I think you misread. "But dh has been letting them have whatever they want (hot dogs, PB&J sandwiches, chips, etc) and I am having problems with nobody being hungry at dinner. I have asked dh to stop doing this and go back to fruits and veggies."

I personally offered a solution. I could also post about nutritional content of various products but it would not address or solve the issue at hand. I would hate for a mother to read your posts and assume that it is OK to overeat on whatever easy to make or grab from a pantry and then not eat dinner just because peanut butter has nutritional value. So I think you misunderstood the whole point.

• pseudo_mom
    12 years ago

no PO1 you just "blamed the parents"

PB is better than nothing

if they are eating PB they don't need dinner it has enough nutrients in it.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

I am extremely hypoglycemic and have been told by my endocrinologist to have peanut butter on hand with me. It's high enough in protein to pick me up. There are times when my blood sugar is sooooo low that I simply grab a spoon and eat some peanut butter. This is not necessarily what I LIKE to do, it's what I have to do. AND.... this was told to me by my Dr. And No.... I don't eat spoonfull after spoonfull. I eat enough to not pass out then I eat a good dinner. My husband is usually the cook at my house and sometimes I get dreadfully low right as he's getting it ready but not soon enough.

• mattie_gt
    12 years ago

SS loves peanut butter sandwiches (but not with jelly), and he's very thin. SS has always had food issues; for him, it's a control thing. When he is anxious, unhappy or stressed he seems to insist upon his "safe" foods - otherwise he simply won't eat. At all. A PB sandwich on wheat bread with a glass of milk is a lot better than nothing. No, it's not as "good" as what we serve for dinner - but at least it's something reasonably healthy which he'll eat.

Pediatrician says he's perfectly healthy, weight-wise - but every year we get form letters from the school nurse about how he's outside the "average" BMI. This year irked me particularly because it said he was in the lowest 5% BMI average for kids his age. Um, so? Perhaps the nurse is unfamiliar with how percentiles work, and that since almost one-third of kids his age are now obese or overweight, the percentiles for kids who are at a non-overweight weight are skewed.

(If you remove the top-third [overweight and obese] percentiles of kids, a child who is in the "60th percentile" of average BMI's, which sounds perfectly reasonable and, well, close to "average", suddenly jumps to the 90th percentile of non-overweight kids, and thus their parents might want to keep a casual eye on their weight. Although my math may be wrong so please correct me if it is.)

• silversword
    12 years ago

No, PO1, I didn't "misread" or "misunderstand". The issue was not health benefits until you started bashing peanut butter.

When I corrected you based on generally accepted nutritional standards you continued your personal opinion about peanut butter and insinuated that parents shouldn't believe what I am saying (or "Internet" is saying) because Peanut Butter is "not that good for you"... "enormous fat content... pretty bad"... "high calories...considering obesity...something to be careful about".

You are entitled to your opinion about peanut butter but it is nutritionally incorrect. I think it is you who does not understand.

Posted by parent_of_one (My Page) on Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 11:28
    "I have never bought Peanut Butter, it is not even that good for you. "

Posted by parent_of_one (My Page) on Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 14:54
    "PB has enormous fat content, there are other sources of protein and vitamin out there, tablespoon is OK but when we are talking about sandwich it sounds petty bad to me."

Posted by parent_of_one (My Page) on Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 15:43
    "There are of course worse foods than peanut butter, but since it has such high calories and fat content, I would be very careful in serving it to kids on a regular basis especially taking in consideration number of overweight children/adults. As any processed food with high calorie and fat content it is something to be careful about."

• silversword
    12 years ago

Hi Mattie,
    My DD is also off the charts for BMI HT/WT. And by off the charts, I mean, not on the charts. She's too little :) I've had doctors and strangers, etc. accuse me of not feeding her, not giving her enough nutrients, offering hormone therapy, etc. It's really absurd to me when people say "DD, you're so little and they're standing by their freakishly large 9 year old chomping on a McMeal.

DD's perfectly normal (at least for our family, we're petite) and when compared to some of the children in her class (who are almost as tall as me and weigh just as much) I just have to shake my head.

DD enjoys peanut butter, almond butter, nuts, etc. on a semi-regular basis although she doesn't particularly like PBJ. She prefers PBH, as do I.

And a PBJ sandwich with a glass of milk is a very wholesome, nutritious lunch. Add some banana and it's practically perfect. Not what I'd want to eat every day, but nutritionally it's pretty sound. It's just as good as a turkey sandwich with cheese(lettuce doesn't have many nutrients to speak of and DD won't eat tomato), especially when you take into account the mayonnaise (fat without much reason).

Last night DD ate a cheeseburger and fries, and three quesadillas from our neighbor (full fat cheddar and queso fresco cheese and homemade corn tortillas). Not the most nutritious meal ever, but the night before she had homemade beef brisket and a big helping of green beans. It all evens out.

• myfampg
    12 years ago

Mattie and Silver -- DS is the same. He is under 5% so under they don't even give us a percentage. He is kind of tall for his age but super thin. He is 3 (almost 4) he has to wear size 4 tshirts to cover the top of his pants and look normal but he is still wearing 2T shorts and 3T pants with the waistband fully pulled tight to keep them up. He can't really wear pants because they are too short or too big around the waist.
    The dr said she wasn't worried about him because he is sooo active which obviously proves he is getting what he needs to fuel his energy but we did begin vitamins just to make me feel better... He eats constantly. He is just one of those blessed to be super thin and have a high metabolism. Dd is built completely different. She lingers in the 60%. She is very short (the shortest kid in the entire 4th grade). Her short frame makes her look like she carries a lot of weight in her hips which she might but the dr said once she gets a growth spurt in a couple of years (cross fingers) that all should even out.

My doctor told me that if dd starts lingering in the 75 or higher we would need to get concerned about her future risk for obesity. So I do watch her and I enforce a little more outdoor activity than I normally would.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

My 11 year old son has always been in the 90% for weight. He went from 25% to 90% for height. That's a very weird thing I think. I really think he'll start to head back down on height. His sperm donor is only 5'6" so I doubt he reaches 6'. Now my 16 year old son is about 6'3" and weighs 144lbs. This kid is in the high percentages for height but only 25% for weight. And that's only because his bones weight something. He looks soooooo thin. People always make comments about that. BUT he eats like a horse... so sometimes it's just how the kid is. Nothing you can do about it.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

silvers, I understand you have preferences for peanut butter and it is fine by me, by no means I am implying you should stop feeding your child anything you want (it is funny you assumed some mothers would stop feeding their kids XYZ because PO1 says so here). Especially if your child is underweight you certainly might consider feeding her extra calories. I don't think you should get upset over this. It is really not the end of the world.

• silversword
    12 years ago

PO1, I'm not upset. I'm just correcting the erroneous information you are posting. Some people really have no clue about nutritional value and I think it's a disservice to post opinion as fact.

And I don't need to feed my DD extra calories, she's proportional height to weight and I'm not worried in the least.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

momof3, yeah it is interesting, my nephew is also skinny like a stick, he looks undernourished, most certainly it is not the case. He is 6'4", he looks like if you push him, he will fall over so skinny he looks. But neither my brother not my SIL are that tall at all, I mean they aren't short, but certainly not 6'4". It is funny how it works. Who knows how tall your son is going to be? If he is 6'3" at 16, he might grow taller...Wow.

• silversword
    12 years ago

DD went to bed with out dinner last night. She took a look, decided she didn't like, I asked her to taste, she tried one tiny bite and spit it on her plate.

Sorry kid.

I think it was the first time. I felt a little guilty, but part of me knows if she was really hungry she'd eat (and she'd had a banana and peanut butter, at her request, as an afternoon snack) and she told me she ate crackers and ice cream at Hebrew School (weird combo to me... but whatever).

• myfampg
    12 years ago

Silver! I almost posted the same thing this morning but didn't want to keep it going but since you did, I'll share also.

DS didn't want dinner last night either. He had three bites. I left his plate out until bath time and then threw it away. I told him that was dinner if he doesnt eat, that's it. He said he didn't want dinner. So when he was going to bed, he threw a fit that he wanted his dinner. I felt a little guilty but felt that I really should stick to my decision. He cried himself to sleep. Awww I felt bad but this Morning he said I am eating my dinner tonight. Lol

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

OMG more commotion with peanut butter! It has 190-200 calories per two spoons, it is outrageous. It is a meal (with something added to it). If a kid ate that for snack of course she is not eating dinner! And after sweet fatty peanut butter what kid wants to eat anything else, especially somehting healthy? Nutritional value or not, it is a very fatty high calorie food, kid is filled up. I bet you if a kid ate something less filling or fatty for a snack she'd be hungry by dinner time and wouldn't be spitting anything out. This stuff just amazes me!

• silversword
    12 years ago

A child the size of mine should eat around 2000 calories per day. She eats breakfast at 7am, snack at 9 am, lunch at 12pm and gets home at 2:15. Her banana and tablespoon of PB is 200 calories. And those aren't empty calories, they are readily available to her. She ate that at 2:30 pm. Then she went to Hebrew school and was active for two hours and had a small ice cream (100 calories) and some crackers. Dinner after Hebrew school isn't until 7:30pm.

My PB isn't sweet. It's organic, made with only peanuts and salt, and has 100 calories per TBS.

If I put a bowl of pasta or something she really likes in front of her she'd eat a couple of bowls. She had said she was hungry less than an hour before dinner. SO hungry she wanted to stop at In N Out on the way home.

Nope, she wasn't full. She was being picky. She had zero fat with breakfast (oatmeal with fruit), a snack of pretzels (again, no fat), chicken and salad for lunch with cheese (a little fat). I doubt my kid is getting too much fat :)

• lovehadley
    12 years ago

Sounds pretty damn healthy to me, Silver!

This one time...

I let DD and SS each take a bowl with two spoonfuls of PB (same kind you are talking about---all natural, no sugar, the kind you have to mix up) and they stirred in some jelly. And ate it with a spoon! HA. A PB&J without the bread.

And nobody's fat.

• silversword
    12 years ago

I prefer mine with honey :) I like to stir it all together until it's kind of 'whipped' and then spread a very thin layer on... well... just about anything bread-ish. That sounds pretty good though. Did you eat it before or after dinner?

Today we went to the beach after work. DD brought a friend. I packed veggie straws (from Costco), graham crackers, Capri Sun, pretzels filled with peanut butter. We played hard, ate all of the snacks and the friend had some Cheese-its so they started in on those before I took them away.

When we got back DH asked if we wanted to try the new Chinese place... We had orange chicken, lo-mein with beef, bbq pork with green onions, egg flower soup, sweet and spicy tofu, rice.

DD ate good.

And, I must add, FAT is good. The thought that fat is bad for a person is outdated and incorrect.

Fat supplies essential fatty acids (EFAs). "Your body is incapable of producing the EFAs, known as linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid, so it must derive them from food," explains Wahida Karmally DrPH, RD, professor of nutrition at Columbia University and director of nutrition at The Irving Institute for Clinical and Translational Research. In addition, fat ferries vitamins A, D, E, and K -- known as the fat-soluble vitamins -- into and around the body. "Fat is also necessary for maintaining healthy skin, and it plays a central role in promoting proper eyesight and brain development in babies and children."

Dietary fat is categorized as saturated or unsaturated. Unsaturated fats -- monounsaturated and polyunsaturated -- should be the dominant type of fat in a balanced diet, because they reduce the risk of clogged arteries.

While foods tend to contain a mixture of fats, monounsaturated fat is the primary fat found in:
    olive, canola, and sesame oils
    avocado
    nuts, such as almonds, cashews, and pistachios; peanuts and peanut butter

Polyunsaturated fat is prevalent in:
    corn, cottonseed, and safflower oils
    sunflower seeds and sunflower oil
    flaxseed and flaxseed oil
    soybeans and soybean oil
    seafood

I don't claim to be a nutritionist but I am fairly careful what goes in my DD's body without being a food nazi like my mother was. She gets small portions of snack food (100-200 calories per day) and that's it. Everything else is non-processed and mostly organic.

As an aside, has anyone read Botany of Desire, Food Rules, or In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan? He is a very engaging writer about food and the symbiotic relationship between plants and the animals/humans who eat them.

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

I see we're beating the horse again...

Anyone try Better N Peanut Butter Chocolate? Good stuff. Have not tried the banana one but the niece tells me she loves it on celery.

I think idea of P&B sandwiches as snacks lose favor when one only takes the tradional image into thought. Yeah, big difference between the traditional with two slices of bread which can be as high as 200 calories a slice with added jelly/jams and who really measure the items being added. Thinking along those lines...high calorie/fat snack an hour before dinner and really not even filling. Wasted calories, along with worthless bad habits.

As to the original points in thread...my teen's eating times and habits changed as they entered high school and sports and activities. I usually checked calendar (and with kids) as to who would be home when and actually eating family dinners. DH and I had the traditional sit down and the kids rarely joined us except a few times a week. No wasted food, no fighting with kids and no junk pre/post dinner. I also got grocery list from the older kids as to what they needed for their weeks menus. Sure would not work for everybody but for my home with three active teens (one was preteen) it was what worked. Kids made their own meals when they were not sitting down with Dh and myself. Times change, we had to change with them. Now that it's just basically DD, DH and me we're back to the three of us doing traditional family dinners...it will change as DD11 ages and gets more involved in activities, friends, blah blah.

• silversword
    12 years ago

When someone insists on propagating misinformation I take umbrage. I never said a PBJ was a snack or that it would be acceptable for DD to eat that right before dinner. I agree with OP completely on that one.

I get it that when people think of PBJ they think sugar-laden PB, sugar-laden jelly, sugar-laden white bread. That puts it almost in the "sweet treat" arena rather than the "sustenance" ring.

But even wonder bread only has 130 calories for two slices and 4g of sugar. Compare that to Oroweat Oatnut bread at 130 calories and 4g for one slice. One needs to read labels and compare carefully. Appearances can be deceiving. I'd say the bread is probably worse than the PB on most occasions.

****One could also, using PO1's logic, say that chicken is bad for a person. After all, it's full of antibiotics, fried, served with mashed potatoes from a box which are smothered with gravy from a packet and a white roll with margarine on the side.***

Eating anything an hour before dinner, besides a very small, 100 calorie-tide-you-over snack is a bad idea. I rarely give DD anything in the hours before dinner.

So that's not the point. The point is PO1 making unsubstantiated claims against peanut butter and continuing to do so even in the face of logic and nutrition. I think I made it pretty clear on what grounds I was stating PB is not a bad food choice. Continuing to obscure that is ridiculous.

• silversword
    12 years ago

PS - I haven't tried that but I just googled it and it looks fantastic- both nutritionally and taste-wise. Thanks for the tip!

• lovehadley
    12 years ago

Just to make sure the horse is really down...

A yummy alternative to PB that we also enjoy is Nutella. YUM. I spread a little bit on toast or even a bagel and mmmmmm.....

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

If everyone is so familiar with what's good and what kids need to eat, then why so many complains here about kids having food issues?

I think if children are very picky or develop a taste for only particular foods or refuse to eat dinner due to excessive snacking, then I believe something needs to be done. Sure fats, carbs, proteins etc all needed for nutrition, yet if excessive or inappropriate consumption causes problems then something needs to be done about it. It is like insisting that a bottle of wine a day is great because wine has some value or hamburgers need to be eaten daily just because meat has nutritional value. If a child eats snacks all the time, I don't care how healthy small amounts of that snacks are, they develop distaste for a normal food.

If kids eat peanut butter once in awhile in a combination with something and have no food issue, then it is fine. But from what people describe they feed their kids peanut butter daily and then complain kids have food issues: too picky or refuse to eat or aren't hungry. Something just isn't working.

Heck if I eat fries few days in a row, trust me salad does not taste good anymore.

• silversword
    12 years ago

and it staggers on...

PO1, I agree with what you just posted. Do you understand that I am not disagreeing that snacks right before dinner, or PBJ for every meal is not a good nutritional plan?

Do you understand that you made erroneous claims as to the nutritional value of peanut butter and that is what I am discounting?

As an aside, you must be a very good dancer. Your box-step is amazing.

• lovehadley
    12 years ago

"PBJ for every meal is not a good nutritional plan?"

It's not??? Shoot.

;-)

• mattie_gt
    12 years ago

Love, of course PBJ for every meal is not nutritional! That's just silly. It's very important to serve a variety of meals. That's why my menu is as follows:

Monday: PB & Jelly
    Tuesday: PB & Honey
    Wednesday: PB & Bacon (My mom used to make us this; actually pretty tasty!)
    Thursday: PB & Bananas (Elvis' favorite)
    Friday: PB alone
    Saturday: PB & applesauce
    Sunday: Take out pizza because I'm tired of having "cooked" all week.

See how it works? :-)

Actually, I think I should have been serving PB&J for dinner the last few nights. It's been hot as a blast furnace here, and even worse in the kitchen. I've been trying to make something (like fish, rice and salad) that there's any chance we can eat in this heat. DH and SS have just been picking at it and not wanting to eat much at all because of the heat. Well, I completely understand that - but how about I don't have to stand in the kitchen cooking it when no one (including me) really wants to eat it!? (Just for the record, SS has not been having any snacks this week - just lots of milk. Can't blame him for that....)

• silversword
    12 years ago

Chinese chicken salad is so yummy when it's hot. I have a hard time eating when it gets hot too. You could try switching up breakfast and dinner (we love breakfast for dinner at my house).

• ceph
    12 years ago

Mattie, you forgot PB and dill pickles.
    It's surprisingly delicious.

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

Toasted bread sandwich with melting peanut butter topped with sliced american cheese, dipped in ketsup...DS grossed me out with that one often during football season in high school. I think he still makes them occassionally as the GS asked me to make one for him last weekend when I asked what he's like to do for lunch. GS settled for a small chef salad instead that DD was making for her lunch. Summers DD makes her own lunch from a selected choice of items on her 'menu' list.

• silversword
    12 years ago

I have to admit, I hate American cheese, and I never eat white bread and I rarely eat ketsup, but an American grilled cheese sandwich with mayo, butter, and white bread and dipped in ketsup is AMAZING!

• JensNatPat
    12 years ago

American (I'm in NJ) grilled cheese made with Mayo on the outside of the bread instead of butter and dipped in Tomato Soup!!!!

Ugh I want one right now!

• myfampg
    12 years ago

Silver/Jens-- that sounds DISGUSTING lol!!!
    Yuk! Mayo is so gross for me it makes me want to scratch my eyeballs out to think about lol

It's so hot here too we haven't been 'eating' right. We had cereal
    Two nights in a row ... Lol of course whole grain and fat free milk.

Maybe the reason my DS is so thin is because he won't eat the jelly... Just the PB? Lol so kidding. Kill the thread lol

• silversword
    12 years ago

I like my milk with fat. Ummmm... full fat milk! But I usually have soy instead at my house.

What kind of cereal Myfam? How do you avoid the fruity/coco puffs?

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

OMG I'd rather eat peanut butter than whatever stuff people are talking about now...LOL Everything is relative.

• silversword
    12 years ago

Jen, I put mayo on the outside and brown. Then add cheese to the browned sides and put together. Then put butter in the pan, and put the sandwich back on the pan..... yummy!!

• myfampg
    12 years ago

I've never been able to make a good grilled cheese sandwich if you want to pass over your recipes but leave out the mayo...

We actually have 6 different cereals right now... We like variety.
    Dh- fruity pebbles
    Me- kellogs vanilla and almonds
    Dd- frosted mini wheats and froot loops (they have whole grain froot loops now!!!)
    DS- frosted flakes and cheerios

We buy fat free milk, 1% and whole milk. We are all on different diets

I used to buy lactaid or whatever it's called because DS seemed to be allergic to milk, but he is over that now thank goodness..

• silversword
    12 years ago

OMG. None of those except for the Cheerios would make it in the door at my house. We get stuff like Barbara's and Kashi.

The best way, IMO, to make grilled cheese:

1. bread, sliced thin cheese or shredded cheese, and butter. These are the essential ingredients. I like to jazz it up if it's just me eating it and add things like:

Rosemary Sourdough bread, goat cheese, havarti cheese, tomato, arugula, prosciutto, etc...

Anyway, the basic method is this:

Butter both slices of bread, one side only. In a non-stick skillet on medium high place the bread butter-side down until it's melted and the bread is golden toasty and buttery. Turn the bread over, immediately add the cheese and top with the other slice. Both buttered sides are now on the inside of the sandwich (and melting the cheese).

Lower the heat on your pan and get a lid that just fits over the top of the sandwich, creating a little tent. Put the lid over it for 30 seconds, flip the sandwich, repeat. Remove the lid. This helps to flash-melt the cheese.

Take some more butter, pick the sandwich up with the spatula, and place the pat of butter in the pan and put the sandwich on top of the butter. Move the sandwich around, cook until that side is golden brown. Flip, repeat, serve.

I like to add thin sliced tomato after when I'm cooking a basic sandwich. I don't like cooked tomato. But you can add your other ingredients at any time.

The basic idea, for me, is to avoid soggy bread and have thoroughly melted cheese. The mayo, when I use it, is used on the outside of the bread in the first step, flipped to the inside. So the cheese is on the cooked mayo side when the sandwich is finished and the outside is buttered.

My DH hates cooked mayo, but I think it really adds good flavor. You don't need a lot, just a very thin layer, enough to turn golden on the bread.

Serve with really good mustard or ketsup or tomato soup.

• myfampg
    12 years ago

DS loves tomato soup ... Yum

Thanks for the instructions. I'm going to try it this weekend.

Cereal is about the only way my kids will get sugary stuff. They don't eat cereal for breakfast. We are an oatmeal breakfast family but I tend to keep the cereal around for snacks. Cereal is my absolute weakness. I don't eat candy/sweets, chocolate, ice cream etc, I love cereal not sure why.