SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsproffit25

bad lessons..?

MrsProffit25
12 years ago

I dont know how everyone else parents but I do know everyone does it differently... sunday when SD came home she was just a blabbin away, she is so much more open.. she told us how she played at chucky cheese and how much fun she had untill she got to BM house. BM B/F was teasing her again , im assuming because she was saying he was being mean so mommy told her to hit him... I personally would never teach my 6yr old its ok to hit. I texted BM and she said they were playing i told her well obviously sd doesnt think so because she is saying you told her its ok to hit someone if they are being mean. BM said she didnt say that but she told B/F to stop and he doesnt listen. I said well SD is 6 - she relies of YOU to protect her you dont send a 6yr old to hit a grown man and let her think its ok. If sd ever hit DH - i dont even want to think about that!! This was Sunday. well today i was outside visiting with a friend and SD was playing next door and I heard sd friend say BM(she used her name) said Im jealous because your prettier?? So i went and spoke to my neighbor who is also another close friend of mine and she called BM my friend of course was very upset. She asked BM if she told sd this and she denied it so she went and got SD and asked her - so what did your mom tell you? and held the phone by her... BM then admitted to it and said she wants her to learn to defend herself if fomeone is being mean and not just stand there like a retard... really... She said she told SD if anyone is mean to you its because your pretty and there jealous... My friend proceeded to tell her (sd was back inside) why would you want to raise your daughter to think she is better then everyone? Your DD is also mean to my DD they are kids... she used a few other phrases but i wont get into it. My own DD is only 2 so she is not at that age where kids are mean just to be mean - she is a baby..,, Is this a normal parenting skill and im just not there yet? I just see it as so wrong... Not something to bring to court over im just thinking - what mom does these things...

Comments (82)

• silversword
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

PO1: "Alcohol consumption prior to conception increases risk of defects in children. It is a well known fact...

FALSE. In men, which is what we're talking about, all alcohol has been proven to do is reduce sperm's ability to swim. So if you're having a hard time getting pregnant it's a good idea for the man to stop drinking.

...it is highly recommended to refrain from alcohol if you are planning on conceiving.

TRUE.

"Sure not everyone is born with defect, but risk is there and it is high."

FALSE.

Women and men should stop drinking, smoking and all bad habits and start eating healthy and exercising FOUR MONTHS prior to conception since it can take up to 116 days for sperm to mature.

What that means is that the sperm that got Mrs. P's BM pregnant were not created that night, which means the "drunk sperm" were likely not the ones who made the kid. Same with the egg.

But there is absolutely NO PROOF that a man's drinking causes birth defects. None. So get off your soapbox. There's nothing that can be done now anyway and dragging her DH's reputation through the mud won't fix anything and has NOTHING to do with how good of a parent he is now.

You said you and your ex used to smoke. Did you quit four months prior to having your DD? Did you take pre-natal vitamins that long before? Did you refrain from eating fish so that you didn't build up an unhealthy amount of mercury in your system?

Probably not. And I'm not going to be critical of it because what's done is done and it brings nothing positive to the table.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

I still hope DH addresses drug abuse at BM's house and rough play. I am willing to accept that it might be normal to have unprotected sex with strangers while drunk, fine, plus you are right nothing could be done now. My point was dad not willing to accept his part in dysfunction from the very beginning which started with conception, but fine, focus on the present not the past. Did DH call CPS or police? What did his lawyer say?

I have hard time accepting the fact that Friday night BF and BM were high on pills and weed yet SD stayed there Saturday night. How does DH know if BM wasn't still high? I don't understand...Why was SD allowed to go there and why wasn't CPS and police called? Am I the only one terrified of it?

No way just no way DD would go to dad's house if I his wife told me they were taking pills and smoking weed a night before, no way. I'd be on the phone calling authorities. Why is SD there? Who cares if BM calls about shoes?

• Related Discussions

A lesson on life

Q

Comments (1)
    Powerful and VERY true words Larry! I subscribe to this belief 100%, however I sometimes need reminding! Thank you for posting this and for the reminder!!! Made my day! Alicia :~)
    ...See More

lesson learned the hard way

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks all. I think you can tell I needed to vent and lucky you, you got to hear it, lol. I didn't leave a feedback, I'm just too ticked off to do so in a resonable manner. I'm not the kind of person who never wants to hurt someone or their business, which is why I didn't give the name of the seller in this post, and if I'm too mad, I end up doing that and then kicking myself later for it. Maybe the seller is a member or reads the forum. If so, it's not that they didn't fill my order, afterall I can understand a bad growing season and they did give me a refund, it's that not once in almost 2 months did they let me know they would not be able to fill the order and give me a chance to order somewhere else, they even lead me to believe right up until I got the order that it was my complete order. That was not good business practice. Meanwhile, I planted the little ones they did send, sure didn't take up much room. Of course now I'll have to wait a couple years to see if they even bloom true to name. Well I guess this fall when I divide up my overgrown daylilies, I can put them in the empty spot I made for the iris's. It's still a disapointment, I had them slated for other areas, which will now stay grass. Plus I've been bitten by the iris bug and have nothing to relieve the itch,lol.
    ...See More

Decided on new basement flooring, any comments?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have used glued-down low pile commercial carpet without underpad very successfully many times on both new homes and older homes built as far back as the late 1940s. In case of water intrusion, the key is to remove it immediately with a wet vac, then use heat and dehumidification. The Wicanders website cautions that the glue down tiles must be protected from moisture..."Subfloors to be covered with Glue-down and Woodcomfort Glue-down(almost vapour-proof) require sealing (insulation) against rising damp if there is no cellar underneath ( basement ). Water-repellent concrete, crawl spaces or similar are not sufficient to prevent the migration of damp into the subfloor." Unless you have specific information from the manufacturer to the contrary, I would take the recommended precautions. Here is a link that might be useful: Wicanders Cork
    ...See More

Lesson in Entertaining from a guests view

Q

Comments (46)
    Sounds like she wasn't prepared at all. I hope that she learns from it instead of deciding to opt out of holding huge gatherings. My comments below probably will sound really ignorant, but, believe me, I don't mean to be... it's just that I'm very bold and say things straight out. After months of offering help when I had the time they called me three days before in a panic. I was out of town on vacation due to arrive home the day of their party. So what did you do to help? At one point during the party I looked up to see the host who was still in jeans and a ratty t-shirt (it was a cocktail attire party) peppering dishes of food and adding olive oil. Clearly she wanted the food to taste good. But, at some point it's time to mingle and enjoy your guests. It doesn't make for a fun party when guests watch the host running around. She ran out of time getting so much ready herself she never got to change. It was sad because they have her in jeans and her husband in shorts in family photos where everyone is in shirts, ties, and dresses. Being a friend who was asked for help 2 days prior, why didnt you say something like "Here, let me take care of this while you go up and change. It might help to make you feel more relaxed." If she protests, I would say something like "Hey! What are friends for? This is my way of helping you out." But, to make it clear as a guest I as well as my husband were the perfect guests. We mingled. We raved over the food. We never once gave a clue that we were dying inside for our friends wishing that we could do something. But, after an initial "Is there anything we can do to help" (after doing what I could for two days from vacation and arriving home to help that day) we were told to go and enjoy ourselves. We were guests we were told. So we did so. You were the perfect guests. If you're a friend and were "dying inside for our friends wishing that we could do something", why didnÂt you anyways, especially since she called you two days prior. I should add I do this for a business. So I guess when I am sitting back and see what went wrong it is hard for me. Especially when they didn't want help then call me two days before begging for it. If they were a client I would have fired them along the way! :) Again! "call me two days before begging for it"Â what did you do? How did you help? Obviously, from what youÂve stated that was all wrong with the party, you must not have helped much. You do this for a business and youÂre a friend? Again, I apologize if I've offended you. It is not my intent. It's just that you have failed to mention your part in this, if any... seeing that she had asked for your help. Your post was very informative. A person also needs to learn what "type" of help to ask for. Whether it be a caterer, bartender, decorator, etc.
    ...See More
  • justmetoo
    12 years ago

No, PO1...the conversation was Friday night about having to use weed/pills for sex. Not necessarily the actual evening anything was used. No indication from Mrs. P's posting that BM was under the iinfluence Friday or may still be Saturday. Even if BM was messing with something Friday evening there is no reason to believe the effects would linger onto Saturday evening...

For an elementary example: if someone were to get a buzz Friday evening off three beers, they would not still be under the influence by Saturday late afternoon.

I do think DH needs to address the drug usage, but so far we have heard no indication that child is being sent to BM's while drugs are in usage or a time frame where their influence on BM would be an interfere factor with regular childcare for the evening child is actually there. This is in no way saying though that I condone BM's behavior even if it is now her own time.

• silversword
    12 years ago

"My point was dad not willing to accept his part in dysfunction from the very beginning which started with conception"

How do you know he isn't willing to accept his part in the dysfunction? Have you asked him? I'll bet he's more than willing to say 'I shouldn't have gone to that bar and had sex with that girl and I regret the action but I'm so happy I have my DD that it doesn't matter'.

No, you're not the only one freaked out that this is happening. I'm not so scared of the pills (although I do have to wonder what kind of pills they are and how accessible they are to the kids) and I'm not so scared of the pot (it's not lethal and it doesn't encourage violence in users but I do wonder about accessibility again). What I am scared about is the fact that the boyfriend is DRUGGING BM TO HAVE SEX WITH HER. That terrifies me. There is something really wrong with a man who would do that, and wrong with a woman who would go along with it. The dynamics of such events lead me to believe that's not all that's going on. And a man who is willing to drug a grown woman to 'have sex with her' isn't many steps from drugging a woman 'to make her willing to have sex with him' which is about an inch away from the moral question of "what is consensual and what is rape".

And there is a young girl in the house.

I encourage you to gather proof Mrs. P. Without it, you'll just have to live with the knowledge that this is going on and you can't stop it.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

Justmetoo you are making a good point, I reread the post and you are right, BF says he has to get her high but not necessarily did it on Friday night. My concern would still be that they might be in possession. Unless they live in the area of legal use of pot, I would be concerned about that. Even if they do not use it when SD is there, they use it when their other child is there. At this point it is not just assumption, he said BM takes pill and smokes weed to get high.

Also the fact that BF repeatedly plays rough with 6-year-old concerns me, he might be under influence since I personally do not know any adult males who play rough with little girls. I think dad needs to take more responsibility, dad befriended this BF up to the point of discussing sexual habits and revealing drug usage, yet this guy continues upsetting SD with rough play...I don't know...This man is bad news.

It seems that MrsP is the only one who is trying to manage all this. I wonder what the lawyer says...

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

Neither I nor ex ever smoked while together, we both started smoking during divorce, probably due to amount of stress, both quit at the same time. Yes we did everything what needed to be done for conceiving the right way. We were very determined. But let's say if i made mistakes like exposed my child to second hand smoking or was doing dumb stuff during pregnancy and my child developed asthma or other defects, then I would have to accept responsibility. We all make mistakes but have to accept responsibility and move forward by trying to be a better parent. But that's just me..

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

I just realized that my post looked like I smoke pot LOL It is just someone asked if i smoked prior to having baby, and I said NO meaning smoking cigarettes. I never touched pot.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SD came home happy. she was very happy to see us. DH tried to call in the afternoon to speak to SD but BM did not answer (after 3 tried) DH called BM B/F and was able to speak to SD. Just the norm hi having fun i love you. Like I said SD was happy.. Just her clothes were too small yes i know this is probabaly nitpicking but im just going to vent either way. She is turning 7 on the 24th of this month and she was sent home in size 5 clothes.. ok maybe they would fit?... but she couldnt button the jeans the zipper was folded down in stead of bottened... the long sleeve shirt (we live in florida mind you lol 90 degrees lol) was more like a half shirt. I asked SD if she wanted to wear them to school because she normally does (when clothes fit , and no even if she said yes i wouldnt allow it) she said no they are to tight. this way it was her choice rather then mine. If she said yes idk what i would have said but... whatever. she told me to save them for my 2 yr old. I just said awe thats very nice of you and told my DD to say thank you and that was that.. no i didnt text BM and let her know SD wears size 7 get it right like i wanted to.. i held it in.. I did not send SD with pajamas BM has had exactly one month to purchase a dang pair of pj's and hasnt. SD told me she slept in her underwear.. Kinda bothered me but SD seemed fine. I have decided to call CPS maybe on wed or thursday I dont want it to be to obvious that we called. I dont want it taken out on SD. I will just call saying I am a friend of BM and saw or heard about it idk yet. If it comes back false I dont want it to back fire on us either. B/F has never lied to us before but who knows I know they have been fighting and maybe he is just trying to stire the pot. SD didnt mention anything about rough play, we didnt ask either so maybe DH talk got through to B/F. I think thats all... If i remember anything I will post. DH does take responsibility for SD disabilities. When she was being evaluated for ADD he blamed himself because he was diagnosed with ADHD. But then again many kids are and many kids are misdaignosed. BTW thought I would add - My 5 month old was a surprise - DH had what maybe 3 beers and we were irresponsible and didnt use a condom - no i do not drink It was just him but so far - she is fine and one plump chunky monkey :)

• myfampg
    12 years ago

MrsP I forgot about your 5 month old. I love chunky monkeys. I could eat their little cheeks all day. Both of my kids were chunks and I loved it. Always wanted a fat baby. Lol

Glad you decided to stay

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

Good job, MrsP, you are taking care of business in a productive way!

Let us know what CPS say. I had dealings with CPS and it is hit or miss, in some cases they do a great job but more than often they just let it go. Hopefully it would get resolved one way or the other.

Even though not buying pajama is nothing comparing to other issues, but how dumb of BM not to buy something for a kid to sleep in.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I dont think I will hear from CPS because I wont let them know the call is from us. I will however be able to get the case file once it closes in 30 days. But if they do find drugs in her system they will have to notify DH by law. They had to notify him about a year ago beause of "suspected" abuse on her younger DD. I would think that sooner of later SD will feel like she doesnt belong there because BM cant even get her pajamas. She has everything for her DD but not SD.. No clothes nothing.. I mean thats just my guess but who knows - time will tell.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

CPS wouldn't call you back to let you know what they found even if you did tell them who you were. If they find something bad in the home they do have to contact DH. I called CPS on my son's sperm donor because they don't know how to be parents to the child they actually have something to do with. They live in a nasty unclean pos shack that should be condemned. They physically fight with each other, they do drugs.... sperm donor will be reporting to jail on May 19 for 9 months due to probation violations... one being failed drug test. I know CPS checked them out and did nothing because I talked to mom of child #2 and #3. Mom of kid #5 is her cousin. CPS hardly ever does anything. Good luck though!

• myfampg
    12 years ago

I think Sd sleeping in panties and nothing more with a live in BF is enough for a judge to stop overnights. It's inappropriate. My son sleeps in just his underwear but he's a boy and he sleeps in his bed in a home with mom and dad. I believe it would be inappropriate for dd to sleep in less than pjs with my husband around because simply she is a girl and girls need to be covered. My opinion.

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

--"I think Sd sleeping in panties and nothing more with a live in BF is enough for a judge to stop overnights. It's inappropriate."--

That was my thought too, Myfam. I sat here thinking, WTH? Why did BM at least not just go to her own closet and dig out a t-shirt? An oversized makeshift sleepshirt would have been fine. Not to judge a lady I have never ever met, but common sense screams improvise...turn on the thinking cap and figure it out BM.

I'm not too sure CPS can 'ignore' & or do nothing in this case as BM lost SD due to neglect/abuse and has now approached courts wanting overnights and time increase. She already has a file and since then someone else has reported her for possible abuse on the other child. But there is going to have to be something to actually report and to act one. They'll not act on something like 'BM lost a shoe' or 'BM put a top on the kid too small', but if sincere concerns and true neglect/abuse keeps popping up on this lady, they'd be fools to turn a blind eye on it. For all 'we' know, BF might have been 'rough playing' with younger DD while BM sat back drugged (by BF?, that guy bothers me in all this).

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

I agree that CPS would not get bothered with small issues but if you tell that a day before SD's visit BM's live-in BF said that BM is using pills and weed to get high, I think they require to investigate. I would also call the police and say you think they in possession since they get high to have sex, they must have it in possession.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

I also think that BF's visits to your house need to stop because it could come up that if you are concerned about his drug abuse or rough play or whatever why is he coming over.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

B/F does not come over anymore. This was actually the first time in awhile DH heard from him. Ok i actually just came on here to vent once again and possible be yelled at again.. BUT SHE WONT SHUT UP!! ok - BM texted me while i was on my way home from getting SD from school. Once again she asked me to baby sit her other DD for 65$ a week. I simply replied no... well - then it starts... "why you said you would before" I never said I would i said i would think about but after discussing it with my attorney I decided not to. (i cant even type because she keeps texting me) OK - I thought for a minute and took a guess - I replied to her.. I wont help you because you didnt file your taxes this year.. ok go ahead and yell at me.. She wrote me back saying she is sending in her 1040 tomorrow!!! the cut off was april 15th. She owes DH 2600$ just in arrears not counting the delinquent. She told the judge back in march she was going to pay off all her arrears with her taxes. I told her its to late.. Im so aggrivated. She then wrote me "they will let me" (file late) I said whatever I already told my attorney its ok we will continue to pay for everything.. Oh then she wrote back Your such a snitch.. lol... sorry guys im really mad right now.. I wrote her back to not give me anything to tell my attorney then... She said DH wanted her full time now.. I told her to leave me alone she makes me sick she ought to be ashamed of herself as a mother. Now i am just ignoring the texts from her. Go ahead and tell me how wrong I am. I know, I went to far. But I got information for court - she hasnt filed her taxes. ----- on to the email from my attorney she simply said do not call CPS yet , she is saving all of our emails for when we need them.. So I dont know what she has up her sleeve. Im thinking she will make random drug tests court ordered.

• silversword
    12 years ago

I'm not going to yell at you.

You are in this drama because you won't remove yourself. Good luck.

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

Document, pay attention and listen to your lawyer...it's what DH pays her for. You've contacted her and she's advised you.

In the meantime, shut your phone off so you don't have an accident driving. You have the kids with you, you know they are safe and everything is immediately ok...keep it that way. Don't let her bait you or put you in danger of accident. Whatever she's rattling about is a non-issue in the immediate circumstance/setting.

This lady can not even provide clothing for one evening for her daughter, why would she think you would babysit and actually receive a dime a week? It's not realistic. You have nothing to discuss with her. Her DD is not your problem...let her figure out how to enroll DD in a free daycare/preschool via state assistance. You owe her no explaination why you can not nor will not babysit...having two preschool children yourself already to care for is reason enough. While you should never have agreed to even 'think' about it, you still owe her no explainations. Again, ignore her texts. Do need feed into it. Make a craft with the kiddies, go for a stroll , whatever it takes to get your mind off the chaos. If she manages to come up with something she thinks really needs said, she can text your DH. Wonder how long he'd keep his phone on if she bugged the heck outta him at work? Not long, you can bank on it.

Same with taxes. Whatever is going on with what's owed and tax filing blah blah blah, is a matter you can't control, need not worry yourself over in the immediate timeframe and have no need to discuss with her. Legal crap and things between court, DH and BM...enjoy the kids, leave the bigger stuff to the people it actually involves and/or who will address it. Don't engage with her, don't fight with her. For the rest of the evening she plain just does not exist.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

I agree, turn your phone off. OR... you can call your wireless company and ask that her phone number be blocked from your phone. She will not be able to text you anymore. I did that with sperm donor's sister. She kept texting me blaming me for him going to jail. I'm now enjoying the peace and quiet. :) The IRS will allow her to file but she'll be penalized. You'll still get her taxes as an interception. That's out of her control. Don't worry about her anymore.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

you shouldn't be answering the phone, keep it on silent, save her harassing texts for documentation but stop replying. she can use it against you. BM will stop talking to you if you don't reply. she can say that you engage her in arguments not the other way around, she has your texts now. I am also terribly concerned how you type while driving, it is against the law where i am at, plus you are endangering other drivers and your children. Just pretend she doesn't exist

• myfampg
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure by law she can sit in on a class. I just sat in dd's class last week. As with my ex he has rights to go to the school and interact with the teachers, get any information regarding schools. If she wants to do good, let her. It should only be the bad things you concern yourself with. How wonderful for SD that her mom showed an interest in her school. I bet sd would be thrilled for mom to come to school.

Be careful engaging in 'laughing at BM' emails with teachers. Their emails are not private and can be used against you if subpoenaed -- I've been through this so trust me. And DH worked in the IT dept of a school district and this happened a LOT. Parents trying to prove that the other parent was trying to alienate the teachers from the other parent. If the teacher is ignoring her... I'd say this teacher is really overstepping and has a legal obligation to return emails to the parent. I've had ex contact the school to get information to use against me and yes the teachers contact me to 'let me know' but they have to give the information that is requested. Dd's music teacher cannot stand BD because he started an argument with her ... Had nothing to do with me and she often rolls her eyes when she sees him coming but it's her job to put on a smile and be the teacher of the child and stay out of our mess. She just happened to get first hand experience with the jerk.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh its not throu emails with the teacher we spoke in person. The school called DH to ask him if BM can have a confrenece with the teacher and he said Ya she has the right.. she does.. But the teacher herself just told me this at a meeting about the other little boy showing his goods. She said it would be to distracting to the other children and SD. We didnt influence her choice. We want BM to be involved with her school!!! That would be great for SD she does SD homework with her - and it comes back half if not more than half wrong. So idk what is best. The lady at the front desk told me last week that "if it wasnt her job she wouldnt let BM walk away with SD".. She said she was sketchy and she had a bad vibe.. but once again we didnt influence that opinion. The emails between teacher and I are strictly school related. I dont share my family issues with everyone - well you guys and my family and closest 3 friends... But then again you guys wouldnt know me if i knocked at your door :)

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

She stated call not email, Myfam. BM called and teacher did not return a phone call. While I agree not to engage in teacher/parent gossip, I think this may have been passed on to Mrs. P because the office has also made complaints about BM. Wonder what office has to complain about? Just what has BM been up to at the school? And why does school think complaining to Mrs. P is the course to take to make BM 'behave'? Mrs. P is not responsible for BM. I guess I'm wondering if there is something in custody/parental plan that bypasses BM as far as school/education? If DH has complete legal custody and maybe BM only visitation rights (school/education completely in Dad's charge), BM might be pushing a legal right to exclude her from interaction between the school and DH. Schools just like medical professionals can only confer with who legally holds the interest of the child. My DS and his ex have complete legal joint custody of my GS, teachers, drs and such can and do talk with/meet with both.

About the class visit. I can see not allowing a visit at this time. These kids have but a few weeks left and this little girl is a hair away from not passing. While the teacher should have politely returned call and expressed reasonable reasons as to why she felt class visit was not a good idea, I can understand teachers not wanting visitors as they wrap up the final days. My DD's final days this school year are a hussle of final lessons and test, end of yr activities such as field trips and class project wrap ups. It really would be unnecessary and a distraction to have parents sight seeing around...we've been invited to 5th grade talent show day and just had a chance to take field trip with class to a working early 1900's farm day.

As to SD passing...I hope she gets the grades to be able to do so. After that DH might want to discuss with teacher if passing child is the best thing to do. Would it benefit child to take the 1st grade class once more? If she needs the extra 'help' now it might be better to have it than to pass on and fall behind next year. Maybe if she does make it and teacher thinks she can handle 2nd grade, you can work with SD this summer to retain what she has learned so far this past year and be not lose what has gained. But how exciting for SD. She worked hard and has caught almost up. Be proud of her accomplishments.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

I have hard time believing that school considers parents sitting in class unrealistic. Also no matter if teacher thinks it is a bad idea, teachers have no rights to deny parents attending classes. Justmetoo I see how school might suggest the best day or time but saying NO is just not an option.

In any case I think this teacher is overstepping by discussing it with SM. I am not surprised office is upset with BM, it happens with difficult parents, but I think they took inappropriate course of action. They have to inform administration not a stepparent, telling a stepparent that another parent had bad vibe is so inappropriate. What are these people thinking????

To all honesty SD lives with dad, not mom, she only sees mom once in awhile, I don't know how much homework could mom get done.

As about you being obligated to be on call and BM getting you in trouble in court, I don't think you personally have legal obligations to be on call for BM. Dad and mom have legal obligations, I have hard time imagining any judge would nail YOU for not answering argumentative texts. If DH's phone dies and he doesn't even know it, then he needs to be held responsible, not you.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tuesdays homework is done with mom. once a week. BM called DH to speak with SD again today.. Maybe when I told her to leave me alone earlier she listened. IDK about the actions of the school telling me. It was passed in just a chit chat manner. BM does have the right to go to the school , dr and school activities. Thats why when they called DH he was kinda like - well ya she can.. He knew he couldnt say no even if he wanted to. He does however have an agreement with the school to where they need to call him if she goes there on anyother day than tuesday and if she tries to remove her from school early. The teacher said she would rather do a confrence with BM and that she did not return her call nor did BM call back. IDK exactly because it doesnt involve me. I was just telling you all what i was told and this was about a week and a half ago. The lady in the office had a few complaints i know she mentioned her other daughter does not behave she just screams and runs around and is filthy. And that she was sketchy - i didnt ask her why is she sketchy...

• pseudo_mom
    12 years ago

going to hijack for a minute ... Really PO1 you don't see it as unrealistic for a parent to sit in class... aren't you in a classroom ??? kids aren't distracted by the new face in the room ??? When I was teaching ... granted some kids do not care who is in the room but some see a new/extra face and have to put on a show ...

Neither my SKs or BM have my cell number .... I changed it 3 years ago ... if kids need a parent they call mom or dad ... if mom needs to speak to her children she can call the house or dad leave me out of it ....school does not have it ....they are not allowed to use my phone to call mom if we are out and they need to talk to mom and forgot their phone(s) ... use a payphone!

Block her number ... change your phone number ... do what you have to do to protect your sanity ... you're not going to make her a better mom by telling her what she is doing wrong ... you can't fix stupid.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

pseudo, it is not allowed to tell a parent they can't come sit in class. it might be realistic or might be not, it might be disruptive or whatever, doesn't matter, parents can't be told they can't sit in class. they have to inform school of a day they want to attend and teachers need to be told by administrator ahead of time. if there is a big test/exam that day then administrator could suggest a different day, saying "it is unrealistic" is not an option. I have been in education in different capacities for close to 25 years in very different regions, it was never an option.

• pseudo_mom
    12 years ago

They didn't tell mom no ....they told SM....they just didn't acknowledge BM...

granted it may be unprofessional but BM is "unparental"

• silversword
    12 years ago

My school has an open door policy. We don't have to contact the school, just check in at the office. The teachers make it clear that we can come in at any time. Of course, the teacher will put the parent to work! Reading to the kids, stapling papers, etc.

The school should never get involver with custody. No matter how crazy the parent is they should never side with the other parents... it just doesn't work. Then the school could get in trouble and that would not be to the benefit of the child.

The BM should absolutely be acknowledged. "The teacher said she would rather do a confrence with BM and that she did not return her call nor did BM call back. "

I would be livid if my dd's teacher didn't call me back. Regardless of custody issues, if I have the right to participate in my daughter's education it is the teacher's responsibility to facilitate.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

... why do my post always cause problems.. Today is SD tues visit - hope it goes well...

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

We have to call ahead of time. With 20 plus students in a classroom it's a matter of scheduling. While no parent is refused visiting it is not a 'hey, I am coming on this day at this time'...it has to be pre-scheduled and be feasible for classroom. While the school encourages parental involvement, parents need to remember that their child is not the only child in classroom.

We can call teacher and confer via phone (they call back during their open time during day or even after hours) and/or we can schedule meetings in persons...but we can not just show up and expect teacher to drop her other students and meet unannounced.

Our school district encourages so much parent involvement that few parents really feel the need to just visit classroom and quietly observe (unless there are issues then parents can certainly arrange to do that). We get sign up sheets at the beginning of each year with anything from reading day to history assist guest to art assistance. It might be signing up one day as a 'mystery' reader (the little kids love that surprise), or three to four parents signup for paper mache week, select a day for historical exhibit/presentations throughout the year blah blah blah. I don't think our school has missed thinking up clever productive ways to get us all there and involved. Grandparents Day, Career Day, Talent Show Day and on and on. If we feel excluded nor non-involved it's be our own fault out here.

Being we have the special needs children mixed in as much as possible throughout each day and a sudden unplanned arrival of a parent/visitor could affect the classroom's learning process for the overall room, it is required that visits are planned and pre-scheduled. That's only fair and expected when dealing with an entire classroom. I guess I look (as does my district)at it as my 'right' to be involved and visit should not overrule another student's right to also have a productive nondistracted uneventful day.

• silversword
    12 years ago

That makes sense Justme... but I guess parents in the class just aren't that much of a distraction IMO. From what I can tell at DD's school if a parent comes in they just become a part of the activity rather than being a "guest".

Of course, if a parent is coming to "monitor" rather than "assist" I think the dynamic changes.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The teacher told me she wanted to sit and observe. I would think if my daughter was failing i would want a one on one meeting with the teacher to hear why she is so behind and what I as her mother need/should do. rather than watch the whole class and observe how the teacher handles her daily routines. I have never heard of a parent attending to do things like mystery reader.. thats awesome!!

• silversword
    12 years ago

I think it can be important to see how your child interacts in a classroom. Not all parents go at things the same way. There is more than one way to skin that cat.

I don't want to step on your toes, but if you were my child's SM and her teacher were telling you about our meetings, what I wanted, etc... I'd be more than a little miffed.

I think you need to take a giant step back.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

Parents are allowed to come, sit and watch, it is encouraged at any grade level. At a high school they have to tell the office ahead of time. Teachers are not allowed to not acknowledge parental concerns, not call back etc I don't care how bad is BM. As about mom being noncustodial, she still is a parent and was not denied parental rights.

If BM only has SD on Tuesdays and does homework once a week, I don't think she can be held responsible for SD failing.

Now not only families have dysfunction, SD's school appears to be dysfunctional as well, teachers and the office are discussing BM with SM and not calling BM back...One more thing to add to unhealthy patterns.

• myfampg
    12 years ago

I think sometimes when the teachers 'like' a parent.. Say.. MrsP is popular at school and the teachers adore her ... They know that MrsP is raising sd and that BM isn't around. The view possibly is 'what kind of mother isn't raising her daughter??' so they think they can roll eyes and laugh or giggle that BM is 'sketchy' because after all, isn't she the one without custody. They probably called because they are at the end of the school year and all of a sudden she is calling and they've never heard from her before. Here is an example: when dd was in kindergarten BD had never been to the school but then two weeks before school was out, he emailed wanting to know what activities he could participate in. There were none but teacher responded there was nothing left except end of year party. She then emailed me to 'let me know' she heard from BD and he was wanting information. She also said 'please don't involve me, I just wanted you to know what he was asking for because I think he plans to use it against you'. Sure enough 3 weeks later he files for full custody. I don't have to tell you how that went, dd is now in 4th grade and is just now visiting BD again after three years of no visits. So... I refrained from saying a word to the school and it worked in my favor. The teachers know im not up there gossiping, I haven't told them anything on purpose, so when BD and SM went for a conference and wanted to say how awful I am and how I keep DD from them and how I don't share info, they actually took a step back and said, you know if all of that were true we would have seen BM slinging mud instead it's the other way around. I just dont engage in any slam conversations. Only once was I told by a teacher that she thought BD was a jerk and that had nothing to do with me. The teachers don't contact me to 'make sure' BD is allowed to come to the school, he has his papers that show he has joint custody and we aren't the only divorced parents at the school-- the school is capable of reading a court order and most are worded the same way. So it sounds to me and of course only my opinion, once again MrsP is 'getting information' or talking to school about BM ... Which I believe to be inappropriate.

I think the reason your posts get everyone riled up is because there is just so many red flags going up that everyone wants to put in their opinion and that gets others giving their opinions. But honestly. Isnt that what forums are for? Different points of view and to debate. I know I enjoy reading the different ideas.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

I don't see how MrP's posts cause any problems, just the situation seems somewhat out of control so everyone has an opinion, I don't see problems. In fact people are mostly in agreement what needs to be done in this situation.

• myfampg
    12 years ago

I agree with you PO1 but not sure it came out that way lol

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow. ok well No i do not talk to the school about BM or trash talk her to them. So no I was not being inappropriate. Take a step back.. No i wont tell her school that I dont want to know there opinion. And no i wont tell her teacher to leave me out of it. I am as much involved with her schooling if not more than DH because I am the one helping her while DH is always at work. Also You have never read me saying that I blame BM for SD failing in fact i believe i have written many times that SD has a disablility but we have yet to have it diagnosed. She was found to not have ADD but we are waiting on her insurance to figure it all out. Please dont put words in my mouth. My situation is bad enough without your addition. What i said what BM was not halping SD in a positive way because she cant seem to do her homework with her. She always has an excuse for there being so many wrong answers on SD homework and her reply is always "My Bad". I am trying to step back. BM no longer calls my phone to talk to SD in the evening (since thursday i think) and I dont text her or call her.Only the other day when she texted my phone and called me a snitch - well thats what we pay our lawyer for we "snitch" to her and she brings it to the judge.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For the record let me say my opinion. As her SM i love her very much and care for her as i do my own. She has lived with me since she was 3. BM was not involved at all for the first year almost. So from the very begining i was her mother figure. BM signed over her rights and just pretty much gave her up once cps removed SD from her. She could have done the parenting classes right away rather than 2 years later she could have moved the cats out right away rather than waiting and done everything else CPS requested right away. All this that we are talking about me being to involved with (school , her care , everything) BM can be mad about my involvement - she left a gap in SD life and I filled it. Now I am suppossed to drop it because BM wants to play mommy. One day SD will relise because Im sure BM will do this all again. I want my sd to one day look back and see how DH and I have BOTH stood by her and supported her 100% and always ALWAYS looked out for her best interest and wanted her to always succeed.

• silversword
    12 years ago

It's hard to be the SM when dad is always at work and SM's don't have much power or are criticized for making decisions for their skids. I get that.

"Also You have never read me saying that I blame BM for SD failing...What i said what BM was not halping SD in a positive way because she cant seem to do her homework with her. She always has an excuse for there being so many wrong answers on SD homework and her reply is always "My Bad"."

I think it's good you are pulling away. It sounds like BM has issues and it's probably best for the all of you if DH handles the relationship with her. That way it's not blamed on you.

• myfampg
    12 years ago

I get that too. I can't imagine. I think that's why everyone thinks that DH should step up more and not expect you to do his work.

Yes he is working but how is him not taking care of his business bc he is working any different than BM not taking care of her business?

I work FULL TIME. For several years I was a single mom and BD did not have access to dd. I didn't have a wife/husband to take care of my business... I had to do it. It's MY job as her parent. Even now that I do have a husband, I still work FULLTIME and I am a parent to two children and I still take care of my business when it comes to dd. So I kind of get tired of reading how poor DH has to work to support 5 members of the family so MrsP has to do everything for him. It's the father's job as a parent to take care of his own business with regards to his daughter.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

so i should sit back and mind to my 2 kids and not handle sd's things? thats rediculous. I made the choice to be a stay home mother to all 3 of the kids. I chose to step up and help with SD. I agree he should handle dealings with BM and im trying to keep it this way - it has only just started but have to start somewhere. But as for taking care of SD i have no problems with it. I married him knowing he had a daughter and im not just going to push her off and deal with only my kids. thats wrong. she would resent me for that knowing she was with me before my kids.. I have already stated when DH does get home he does take over with ALL the kids. We are a family. SD needs to know she is no different in our heart then the other 2 children. Weekends he usually goes and does something with just him and SD as i have also told you all. I will not live in a house where my children are not equal or one has more than the other or where I do not have a healthy relationship with my sd. I do undertstand his "say so" is what goes with SD and I dont have any but for the most part we make agreements. we both want what is best. I also know BM has the rights and i dont but at the same time she told the judge she didnt want SD to move in with her she didnt have the time. I do. Maybe part of it traditional thinking - I cook I clean and I take care of the kids untill he is home then its him and I get a break or can watch my tv shows whatever. This works for us I know my husband is a huge part in my kids life and you all cant see that - you just see what i type b ut i wont sit here and type our whole day out for a week straight to prove it i have plenty of other things to do. Besides i come here for support nd advice not read trash talk about my husband so i will just start ignoring that part. Speaking of which he just walked in for his lunch break - he just told me BM called him to let him know she cant SD from school next TUE. she called him not me :).. back on track - I have friends who have step parents some had bad ones and some had good ones but ALL tell me to stand by her and keep up the good work and they know me and my family personally and one actually knows BM (from school). One said her SM treated her so different from her kids and she hates her now for it...

• myfampg
    12 years ago

No you take it the wrong way. I'm not talking about housework. Or treating kids different. I'm talking about slamming BM for not doing this or that but then your husband isn't doing certain things but it's ok because he works.

• silversword
    12 years ago

"I kind of get tired of reading how poor DH has to work to support 5 members of the family so MrsP has to do everything for him. It's the father's job as a parent to take care of his own business with regards to his daughter."

AMEN.

I work full time, I am the full time taxi driver for DD's multitude of activities, I do the housework and the homework and the parent teacher conferences and the dance recitals.

I think BM's often do. And SM's as well. It's a lot less frequent, IMO, that birth/step fathers do the same.

I posted a thread a while back about how so many SM's take on the role of "wife/mother" and dads are willing/encouraging them to be the forefront of the kids/house. My point then was: How does it make you feel that you are in charge of the kids but have no authority (legal or otherwise)?

Regardless, if I were SM in this case I'd feel helpless and bashed and if I were the BM in this case I'd be pretty po'd that my DD's dad isn't the one taking charge.

lose/lose situation... except for the dad. Somehow they usually end up unscathed.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well like i said I am trying to step back from discussing things with BM. But you have to remember she was coming to me. She would rather deal with me but since i cant tolerate her anymore without getting so angry i will try my hardest... try! to jus ignore her. I will just let DH deal with it. But like i said she did text/call idk for sure to tell DH she wont be getting SD on tue. I checked my phone for the time after he left and sure enough she did text me as well but i didnt reply. Like i also said before - BM should have thought about this before when she signed over her rights - yes i understand she has the right to go to court and get them back or whatever but that doesnt mean i have be non existant. She had the option to handle things the way CPS asked but she didnt. I dont feel helpless at all. I feel helpess with BM cause she will obviously never change but I know I am helpful in my SD life and thats whats important, right?

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

It's kinda like this Mrs. P.

1. Pay phone bill...check
    2. Buy groceries...check
    3. Go shopping to buy kid's clothes...check
    4. Attend classroom party for school...check
    5. Feed cat and make dinner...check
    6. Kiss all boo-boos and tuck the kids in...check
    7. Assure all kids are loved and taken care of...check
    8. Deal with BM...nope.

That's his puppy. You are running the household and mothering three children just like every other family's routine where there is a SAHM...where the difference comes is BM is his problem, his duty to have to deal with, confer with or put up with her crazy antics. You've tried and she's taken advantage of it and deliberately bypasses the guy she is suppose to be communicating with.

It does not matter if he has to phone/text her a bit later. There is nothing in your plan that states Dad must jump when BM demands. Unless SD's is ill or injured it's no biggie if Dad gets back to her at his convenience. He can text her at 9pm just as well you were you having to do so at 4pm. Just like with this Tuesday...BM managed to contact Dad once she figured out you were not taking her calls/texts.

Take yourself out of the middle. Run your household, care for the little ones and let Dad worry about BM. You've been leting BM run your life...time to put a stop to it.

I don't doubt Dad loves his babies and is 'there' for them. What he has to do now is take on dealing with BM, it's his 'duty' and it's no longer working that you be the one to continue to do so. She's his problem.

• MrsProffit25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

you are very right. That is what I am now trying to do. I have tried everything - stupidly... tried to be her friend , teacher now you are right - i cant do anything to wake her up. I understand I was overstepping my bounds with trying to "teach" her how to parent SD. In my heart she is mine - in a sense , she is the SM... I know she is not and if the shoes were on the other foot i would be angry with me too. Granted i would never put myself in those shoes but yes , I hear you. I 100% agree, and I am trying. DH will text her monday to make sure she still wont be getting SD from school because part of me thinks she is just pulling our legs to in the end start some more drama somehow but he will find out.