SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daveinorlado

Please comment on a new kitchen and bath store concept

daveinorlado
13 years ago

I have been in the kitchen and bath retail business for the last 5 years. I am 35 and grew up with a father that was a custom builder. I have been in the new home construction and remodeling sector my entire adult life.

My observation of the kitchen and bath stores out there is the big box stores, Ikea and mom and pop. The mom and pop seem to be hit or miss with a poor selection of products and little knowledge of their products let alone how to install them. Or they are on the ball and cater to very expensive projects not all of us can afford.

That said I would like to start a nation wide concept that is different than what I have seen done any where. I am not looking for buyers here but more input on my concept to understand potential buyers and their needs

I have been partners in two different stores in the DC area. I have parted ways with dirty partners moved to Orlando Florida to start over in a quick decision that I was not really prepared for. I have a 600 sqft store that does not have room for full kitchen displays.

In the last few years I have learned how to find in stock cabinets kept around the US to be able to offer more custom looking cabinet styles similar to Ikea and the like then any store or website I have ever seen. I have more then 3 times the largest website I have found on the internet.

I also have a stronger selection of entry level to semi custom brands then any store I have seen as well. Most small stores went right to the top in price point.

Many stores are lacking in true one stop shopping expierences also. I have a large array of faucets, vitreous china, granite vanities at lower then fabricator prices and a huge selection of vanities and bath collections.

Lastly most retail stores are not true installers of thier products everything is sub contracted out to installers as indpendents to do the real work if installation is offered at all.

My question is this:

If you were remodeling you kitchen would you be interested in the following concept?

I want to create the ultimate one stop shop across the country. I want the perspective homeowner to work with the same person through the whole project including measurements and design, cabinet and related product selection, the designer would personaly oversee installion of all products. Most stores have multiple people involved in that process making it much more difficult to get it right.

To make this possible I will put my products in home offices of the best remodeling professionals accross the country. I would not display any full kitchens with them as they will not have room. Instead we will display selection centers like those you see at lowes and Home Depot that show most of the available door styles and colors for each brand offered. We also would display 1 cabinet each of the 100 plus styles available in the Ikea price range products. Faucets, Sinks, vitreous china and all manner of countertops would be on display as well. We will pack their office with everything you would like to see.

All the years my dad and I built custom homes together our customers always came to my dads home office to discuss the details of the project and work everything out.

I think it would be a great way to go about kitchen remodels as well. The remodeling professional can offer from the most basic cabinet to the custom of custom with the products I will offer thru them. They will be able to beat most stores prices with all the costs included in the comparision.

What would increase your confidence in purchasing with a small contractor who knows the products, how to design and measure, and oversees all instalation personally, that displays everything he offers on a small scale instead of a larger business with larger displays with more people involved in the transaction and installation?

What do you wish you could get out of your expeirences that seems to be consistently missing?

Your reaction and thoughts please!

Many thanks

David Scott

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH