SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbsim1

Good bones stand the test of time?... 1985 Kitchen Refresh *Pic

14 years ago

Somehow back in 1985 without the help of the internet, an architect, a kitchen designer or even Gardenweb, DH and I managed to design and build a wonderful home! We were the designers and though we didn't do any of the actual work ourselves we were GC on our first and only build. We were struggling 28 year olds with a 2 1/2 year old, a 13 month old and a third son born 3 months into construction. Makes my head spin just to remember!!

We splurged on the size of the kitchen knowing that it would be the heart of the home. I agonized over every detail of the cabinetry and layout and like to think that we did it right. Not sure how we navigated the pitfalls of the 80's that we could have fallen into, but we wound up with beautiful cabinets, smooth ceilings, recessed lighting, lots of drawers in the kitchen and a host of small details in the flow that make it a dream to cook in.

Fast forward to 2010 and it is time to follow the rest of the herd over the cliff and put in granite. We've decided to move out of state and are selling the house, so my colorful tile had to go before listing the house. Thanks to good basic design, we were able to get away with what I'm thinking of as a "refresh" instead of a gut job. It could have been a LOT worse!!

This is what we kept:

All cabinetry, woodwork, trim etc (even reused the old quarterround/shoe molding). Originally coated with Benjamin Moore Stays Clear (a tintable polyurethane) the BM store still had our color on file (handwritten card from 25 years ago!!) and we put a fresh coat on all woodwork from the crown molding to the baseboards. Great stuff!!

Windows (Pella), doors, lighting.

Layout totally unchanged except added an overhang to the island

Subzero 36" all fridge is "only" 21 years old... originally had a dinky Kenmore that I couldn't fit anything in. Found the SZ as a floor model and convinced my ever patient DH that he could manage to retrofit the cabinetry to build it in and that it wouldn't be the height of lunacy to walk around the corner to the mudroom/laundry to get ice out of the big freezer in there!. Still works great and looks like new inside.

Original Whirlpool double ovens and Rangeaire hood (awesome CFM.. I remember researching this!)

Pantry unchanged... even original paint

GE Dishwasher Stainless Interior about 10 years old

GE Monogram Glass cooktop (hate it) but had to replace the original glass and solid cast iron element cooktop that died about 7 years ago. No gas to the house.

What we changed:

Rose colored Walker Zanger tile (a BIG splurge in '85) set in a mud base with great grout.... became 3 cm granite called "Revelation" by the yard. Added an overhang to the island.

Awful wallpaper border and still nice neutral wallpaper removed and walls painted. A bear to get down... Wall color is a combination of every can of semi neutral paint I had leftover from other paint jobs in the house refresh. Wound up being a creamy color with some sage tints to it.... sort of a homemade full spectrum as I think there are about 8 colors combined!

Porcelain knobs replaced with Schaub Siena in Ancient Bronze

Above mount Triple Elkay replaced with Undermount Triple Elkay ELUH 4020

Old Delta Faucet replaced with Delta Pilar

Original Amana Microwave with Drop Door replaced with Kitchenaid Architect ... the only one we could find that would fit the hole!

Original Congoleum vinyl flooring in a wonderfully neutral color and pattern but terribly dinged up replaced with an 18x18 porcelain tile from Viking with Haystack grout.

New backsplash run all the way up to cabinets this time. Walker Zanger Gramercy Park in Victorian Green. Laticrete grout in Mushroom.

So here we go.... BEFORE... in all its 80's colorful glory...

(there is around 8-9' between the island and the start of the den.... love being able to have plenty of room for the whole party to stand around in the kitchen and kids and dogs to be in the room without being underfoot!

and AFTER .... a little boring, but definitely more stylish!

Before: (sorry it was Christmas!!)

And After.... you can see here the little door in the island that uses the "dead space along the back wall for table leaf storage.

Next you can get a good idea of the "bones" of the kitchen... waiting for granite. Tile (and wood and mud and wire) taken up, wallpaper down, walls painted, knobs off, vinyl floor replaced.... all else the same.

View from the porch door.... drawers!! How did I know?!!

Looking the other way. Hoosier Hutch has my cookbooks, pens, misc stuff phone center, candles etc. Designed the space for it. Used the pull out for rolling pastry when I had the tile. Not sure why the island looks a different weird color!

Kitchen Window. Love the triple sink... HUGE... big enough for my biggest sheet pan. I've always got something drying that I've hand washed and love to be able to easily use the disposal so am not a single sink person. Can set up a cutting board over the triple and use as a prep area for messy things.

View into Dining room.... kept all original in here (even the wallpaper) except the floor.

New granite island top. Looking at den and pantry door.

Looking toward Rear Entry/Laundry and Pantry.

Corner Pantry Pics... Shelves on 4 sides. Solid wood. Differing depths and an automatic light that turns on when the door is opened.. (that one was my father's idea!)

And finally a prehistoric trash pullout!!

Hope I didn't bore anyone to tears. Wish me luck as I start over on a whole house from scratch again..... we're designing a new house and will move out of state and start building when this one sells!! GW is such a help and support.... thanks to all who have given me ideas on both our new build plans and the refresh of my first love!

Comments (24)