SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenredo2_gw

Contractor and Subs: How Much Damage Do I Tolerate?

kitchenredo2
14 years ago

I have banned the plumber from my house. He is a subcontractor and has driven me crazy. In addition to whining about everything and being lazy he is very sloppy. I won't bore you with the details of the mess he leaves in his wake.

The first thing that threw me over the edge was when he drilled in the wrong place in the shower to attach the rail for the hand shower. When my DH pointed this out to him his response was "the door of the shower will cover that." No apology. And it won't be covered by the shower door and that isn't the point. So now the contractor will have to remove the damaged tile and replace it. Also, it turns out when the plumber installed the hand shower bar he did so too close to the "el" and it doesn't move up and down as it should. I hope they will be able to rectify this when they replace the tile.

Then I went into the kitchen over the weekend and found that he put a deep scratch into my new soapstone counter by the cook top. I have no idea how he did this. I am guessing that he somehow dragged the edge of the cook top on the counter. My DH tried to calm me down by saying that we know soapstone will scratch and we can sand it out. I realize this, but if someone was going to put the first nick in the soapstone I wanted it to be me (or someone in my family) and after the kitchen was in working order.

So I had a chat with the contractor and asked him to find another plumber and he didn't want to do this. He said something about the one plumber starting things and someone else coming in behind and this not being an ideal situation. And also that it would take 2 weeks to find another plumber to come out and that would make problems for the schedule. I was so worn down I said fine, but insisted one of the contractor's guys supervise him. Now that I have had time to think about it, he's just a plumber -- it's not like he's Michelangelo and he's painting the Sistine Chapel and I need someone else to finish the job....

This morning I went into the kitchen and saw that there was a gash in one of the main sink cabinet doors. Yes, the plumber again. My poor foreman (he is a great guy - very calm) got the brunt of my frustration. I told him that I did not want the plumber in the house again and I didn't want any BS about not being able to get another plumber for 2 weeks. And I wanted a new door for my sink. And if the plumber showed up I would, well, let's just say they'd have to stop me from turning him from a rooster to a hen.

I am also concerned that if this is the quality of the work I can see, what is lurking in my walls (all of the water and waste pipes) and attic (where he ran the gas line)?

And today I found a nick on the edge of my soapstone island counter.

So, I ask you all.... Did I overreact? How much damage should I expect and tolerate from the contractor and the subs? I can't even believe I am asking such a question....

TIA

Comments (12)