SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threedgrad

Show us your favorite room in your house

threedgrad
15 years ago

I know you are all so very talented. So if you have the pics show us your favorite room (if you can choose a favorite). Pick the one that always makes you smile as you enter it.

I think it can be a difficult choice if you have several good rooms.

Of course, in my last house my real plaster walls and tray ceilings were awesome. This cheaply made rental house doesnt cut it.

My favorite choice is difficult as well. I think my dining room wins over the Princess room but I still love that tiny bedroom.

Comments (81)

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Flyleft, the chairs are from a company called Sam Moore. You can buy them through a furniture store. These were custom covered, Very, very comfortable. The fabric is from the Design Center in Philadelphia.

Sarschlos, love those slipper chairs.

All these rooms and spaces are beautiful.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

hoosiergirl - Yes, to the rug. Yes, larger lamp. Yes, keep that afghan (and the memories),. I have an olive green afghan that my grandmother made. Matches nothing in my home. :)

• Related Discussions

Show off your favorite pictures of your collections...

Q

Comments (79)
    No rot at all - perhaps it's just because none of the water actually comes in contact with the plants? It's very low maintenance and has made for some nice growth. Whenever any of them start to look a little dehydrated, I just put the top on for a few days to really kick up the humidity, and things just seem to do well. Looking forward to trying some other stuff the same way. Have one jade I'm trying to do as root-over-rock in the same way; appears to be working well so far.
    ...See More

Show us your favorite collarettes?

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Phylrae, Pooh: bold, bright colors on good stems and fair number. Should be available from dahlia vendors (earlier in season would be better than now) and at tuber sales. Possibly at nurseries or big box stores, but I've never seen it there. Fascination II is one I always marvel at for its many varied bright magenta tones on white. Connell's Dahlias has that, and be mindful of Fascination vs Fascination II to assure you're getting the right one. There's another collarette I've since lost that I used to like very well. If I think of it, I'll post later. Busy time of year!
    ...See More

Show me your favorite living room and bedroom color

Q

Comments (4)
    We just repainted our bedroom BM Tranquility with a BM Frostine ceiling. Our bedroom has 4 large windows, two facing west and two facing south, in an extremely hot climate. This a picture I found on the interwebs, but it does not do Tranquility justice, it is about the most beautiful color i have ever used, I smile every time I look at the bedroom. It is much more blue and a lot less green in our space, similar to the old RH Silver Sage, but bluer, I really love it, and will try to post a picture. http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo143/nickliss/Greens/Golds/Blues/BMTranquility.jpg Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Show us your favorite scene from a movie

Q

Comments (82)
    Oh, this movie is such a tear jerker. The book is even better: James Dean in East of Eden, final scene with Raymond Massey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKYWpp-qKuQ On the lighter side, Barbara Billingsley in Airplane: "Oh Stewardess, I speak jive!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0j2dVuhr6s
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    15 years ago

Right now I'm at our summer cottage, and my favorite room here is this one. It's a small sunroom with 8 windows, one big comfy sofa, a big coffee table with baskets of magazines stowed under it, and a built-in bookcase on the other side of the room. Oh, and a view of the ocean! I have my coffee almost every morning on this sofa.
    {{!gwi}}

• brutuses
    15 years ago

sueb20, can see why it's your favorite.

I absolutely adore sun rooms and screened in porches.

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

How wonderful to see so many beautiful rooms both indoors and out! Great Idea. It's really hard to pick just one.
    Our Family Room is where we spend most of our time, and it really has lots of our favorite things.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

slinkey, love your room, very cozy and pretty. I noticed your cute window treatments that you have mounted on the inside of the window. Do you have some other window dressings you could photograph and post? I'm looking at others windows hoping to get some ideas and inspiration for the windows in my new house. If you can't, that's fine, I understand. Thanks

• nhb22
    15 years ago

slinkey - What a wonderfully comfortable looking room! :)

sueb20 - I'd love to see some more of your cottage...especially that view to the ocean.

I just came in from my screened porch, where I have my coffee - weather permitting.

{{!gwi}}

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

hoosiergirl, Thanks, DH and I have and still are putting in many hours, tweaking the backyard. I just wish I could get the inside tobe comparable.
    Here is another view just for the heck of it.

• magnaverde
    15 years ago

Well, with only two to choose from, it doesn't mean much to pick a 'favorite' room, but here's a warm weather view of big front windows in my living room & the little American Empire daybed I bought for $225 when I was still a penniless college student & when spending that much on a piece of old furniture meant living on peanut butter sandwiches for months. My equally broke pals called me crazy, and of course, they were right, but thirty years later, it's still a great place to lie & watch the big Chicago sky, especially during a whale of a storm like the one we had the other night. Much more exciting than those predictable old fireworks they have down at Navy Pier.
    In the winter, the daybed gets covers of wool & cotton velvet in deep colors, the pillows' slipcovers come off to show their ancient tapestry, and the linen curtains--my grandmother's old sheets, which are way too big for my tiny bed--get switched for a heavy 194Os floral cretonne in red, green & purple on a tan ground, but the function stays the same: to give me a place to chill & look out the window.

Not long ago, a visiting photographer looked around my place, told me it had a very European feel and asked me if I liked traveling. I told her no, that I only travel when I need to, and that although there are a lot of things I'd like to see, to see them I'd have to leave home, and that, generally, my enjoyment of travel varies in inverse proportion to the distance I am from my own bed. Like I said, my pals think I'm crazy.

What can I say? There's no place like home.

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

Wonderful spaces everyone. I'm with several others, this being summer, my favorite place is outside. Entertaining on the patio is so relaxing - little care about cleaning a mess and everyone is in good spirits.

{{!gwi}}And the adjacent gardens, now in bloom with colors changing weekly.

My second favorite space is our Living Room. Just redecorated it last winter and still feel good with the outcome.

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

thanks brutuses..I'd be glad to post some other pics.
    Some times I buy fabric and other times I just use sheets..
    (much cheaper), especially when you like to change them often! I try to use tension rods whenever I can, as it's much easier to make a change w/o having to put any holes in the moulding...which makes DH a happy guy. I'll post on another thread to you, as soon as I can.
    sueb20...Love your sunroom...what a nice place to escape to and especially enjoy morning coffee. I had one in my old house, and really miss it. I'm totally jealous of you and newhomebuilder!!
    Thanks newhomebuilder for the compliment. It is a nice cozy place, especially on chilly days.

• traditionalgirl1
    15 years ago

Our den is my favorite place to hang out. It's a cozy room for reading, watching TV and doing crossword puzzles!

{{gwi:1538539}}

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

Thanks, NHB! The room definitely needs tweaking, but I love it now, and it'll be that much better when accessorized, etc.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

newhomebuilder, thanks!! I don't really have any good pics of the interior, but here is a pic of our location. If you look near the bottom left corner of this aerial shot, our house is on the corner lot with a detached garage. You can't see it in the pic, but the water seen from the sunroom is about 500' down ('north' in the pic') from our house. The only reason we can see that water is because we're up on a hill (which is a killer when we're walking home from the beach!).

• traditionalgirl1
    15 years ago

Ok, I had to post another one. This is my home-office-used-to-be-the-living-room-that-nobody-ever-used-except-for-once-a-year-on-Christmas-day. I just love being in here every single day now. What dummies we were for not using this space in a more useful way sooner.

{{!gwi}}

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful pictures....I would love to visit in each and every room!
    Traditionalgirl1, do you have any info on the fabric/source of the red drapes/blinds in your first picture? They are beautiful!
    Thanks in advance,
    J

• traditionalgirl1
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jaybird. I bought 4 panels from JC Penney, hung two of them on the window and had roman shades made for the french doors with the other two panels. My SIL made the shades; she is very talented and can sew ANYTHING. I just love having crafty relatives!

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Thank you....I'm off to look at Penneys.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

sueb20 - Beautiful property and place!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

OH, o.k., here it is...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

OH, was this supposed to be in my *real* house? Or my dream house?

:)

• valzone5
    15 years ago

Not decorated yet, but this is my absolute favorite place in my apartment. I sit out here in the evening with a cup of tea. I love it. I need privacy in one section only (in the middle of the long wall of windows I look right into the students' veranda next door and I want privacy from that) and don't want to hang curtains all over...not sure how I will deal with that. In any case, this is my favorite room.

{{!gwi}}

• ladyamity
    15 years ago

I sure hope nobody minds --- I've just finish copying every picture and putting them into my "Special Inspiration" file.
    Every single picture, whether outside or inside had something wonderful in it that caught my eye.
    You all have created wonderful spaces!!!!

slinkey wrote:
    Some times I buy fabric and other times I just use sheets..

A gal after my own heart!

magnaverde wrote:
    although there are a lot of things I'd like to see, to see them I'd have to leave home

Ahhhh....another one of me. lol
    Hubby says I'm a 'nester'. Leaving home means leaving my nest and all the wonderful little things (to me) that make it the most comfortable, serene and safe place to be in the whole world.

Was comp'd an amazing hotel suite in Vegas a couple years ago. Five days we were treated like a King and Queen by the whole staff. Had a concierge that made sure everything was above and beyond luxury but I so much missed my clinky 9" tall glass for my ice tea, missed my morning mug for my coffee, missed the scent of my blooming Brugs and Roses that I can get from any point of the house. Really, really missed my Hummers that I can see out of any window of my home or walk out back and have them flutter around me while they get fed----It's those little things that make me happy.

I am a homebody with a capital H.

I have stayed in a few hotels that gave me a serene and peaceful feeling because of the balcony with wonderful plants, lighting and water feature/pond.
    Getting that feeling at home meant I had to create something outdoors.

So my favorite 'room' is the area out back that me and hubby DIY'd.
    Nowhere near what those wonderful hotel balconies were but serene and peaceful it is!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Ahhhh! When I die, I hope I go to Magnaverde's living room. LOL

Magna, every time you post a picture, I try to figure out what is wrong with my house. Because it has nothing in common with your spaces, my answer is invariably "everything."

So many great rooms here. A big thank you to everyone who has posted!

• fourtogo
    15 years ago

Slinkey,
    your family room is so homey and inviting. It makes me want to curl up and read a good book! And Newhomebuilder, one day I will have an enclosed porch! You must live somewhere warm. How many months can you enjoy it?

• nhb22
    15 years ago

fourtogo - The porch is clean for about 4 months out of the year. Then there is late spring where I sit with the pollen, and early fall where I can use the porch in the afternoon, but by that time have given up cleaning for the season. I sometimes will even go out in the winter months, because of early morning hot flashes. :)

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

My favorite room in my family room cause it surrounds me everything I love. I posted many photos of the room, but here is the view from this room...I agree with the others that say, outside is my favorite room. :)
    Four years ago I came up with a brainstorm to put in a big bump out box window to be able to enjoy the garden views.
    Since we do everything ourselves, we jumped in and started this window on July 2nd...I asked hubby if it was going to be done for Labor day...and he said it will be more like gobble gobble gobble!...well, in fact it was more like ho ho ho!..but the wait was worth it. My hubby is a gardening nut! The fruits of his labor can be enjoyed much more now from inside the house...

view from French Door in Family room.

• kats
    15 years ago

All these rooms are just stunning. I'm partial though it seems to the backyard "rooms" those sun rooms, back porches and screened patios.

My home has so much decorating left to do to make this home the way I would like. I love my greatroom, my kitchen, I can envision the way my library/office will look if and when I can find the "right" desk! I even can say I really enjoy my laundry. But like brutuses the room we seem to be using more than anything right now is the one below....well except when it's snowing! LOL

• christina923
    15 years ago

kats....
    stunning! takes my breath away!

where is the location?

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Kats has my new favorite outdoor room! Just give me a stump.

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

You guys have wonderful homes -

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Fantastic indoor AND outdoor spaces! I loved looking at all the different styles, color, decorating~such a treat for the eyes.

Patsy, your back porch is absolutely, no doubt, strictly SOUTHERN! Love it!!!

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Classey looking room Magnaverde!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Good thing I don't have to vote! All are so so pretty and the gardens and the views, wow! just amazing!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Have been out of town and couldn't play! I *love* these rooms.

Flyleft: Your style is absolutely stunning. You know my style from years on these forums, and you know I tend to favor the frou-frou design, but I have to say, when I imagine myself going modern or minimalist, your room is what I would do. It's absolutely perfect.

My favorite room is still my kitchen, even though I'm not happy with the cabinet color.

Right now, I also have an outdoor space that I love a LOT.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• kats
    15 years ago

reno,

I love your kitchen! Especially the black chandeliers. And your cabinets are great. What color would you want them???

• nhb22
    15 years ago

kats - I thought my view was great. Your view puts mine to shame. Where are you? TN, NC, VA?

reno_fan - Another favorite kitchen. I love the white cabinets.

yvette123 - Your room is gorgeous! too pretty to use.

• babs711
    15 years ago

reno, you want the cabinets yellow, right? I still love the white!

Slinkey, do you mind if I ask what your paint color is? After 2 1/2 years of SW Macadamia, it's just feeling too dark. I want to lighten up my living room and I love the shade you have in your lovely room!

• yborgal
    15 years ago

I love this space because it's right outside of our BR and the room I walk into first thing in the morning. The windows give us a great view of the outdoors.

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

When it is not hot and muggy as right now I do love my patio:

• kats
    15 years ago

Yvette123,

Ohhh, now that's one COOL patio! I can't wait for mine to look as nice as yours. Porches, patios, sunrooms....like I said before, for me those all mean HOME!

Christina923, Mustangs and Newhomebuilder....
    You guys are very kind! I had to laugh when NHB asked if we live in TN, NC, or VA......nope just Southern California!

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

kats, if I only had your view - I would never leave my home.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Love your kitchen reno gal, it's gorgeous.

Yvette your patio looks wonderful. Good conversation and a good chardonnay works well in there I bet.

• athomewith3
    15 years ago

My favorite room is outside as well. Nice to live in California where we can enjoy it for a good portion of the year.....

Love having a sitting area where we have a nice view of our U.S. and Angel flag (lol)

{{!gwi}}

View from right side of the deck:

{{!gwi}}

View from yard of deck and pool

• mldao
    15 years ago

I've been out of town for the past couple of weeks. I love this thread!!

The two favorite rooms in my house are my family room and living room. My family room is surrounded with pictures of my children through the years and it reminds me to slow down and enjoy the moment. My living room is where I go to escape from the chaos/noise of the TV, kids, dog and endless supply of neighborhood children in my house. I like to go in and curl up with a good book (I'm a huge reader).

Family Room
    {{!gwi}}

Living room
    {{!gwi}}

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Love all your rooms inside and out! Here are mine. Our DIY kitchen that we are still working on( DH rather) and our front porch. I used the painters tarp and grommet ideas for curtains for the porch so now we can sit and watch the storm.I call it the "biggest little porch in town" You are looking at the whole thing in the photo, there ain't no more. But it is big enough for 3 to sit and the 2 dogs can lie on the porch with us. We have our morning coffee outside after our walks. I included photos from May when I had painted the free CL loveseat and made pillows so you could see the colors in a better light. I am just using grosgrain ribbon right now, I plan to make tiebacks out of the stripe canvas. Of course the roses arent blooming like that now.

• annettacm
    15 years ago

Sueb... do you have a picture of the ocean view? I was just getting lost in the beauty of all these pictures, and I saw where your view was mentioned. I went back through all of them, and didn't see that particular view. Now I'm curious and wanting to live vicariously through you, so please post it! ;) It'll be like a mini vacation for me (who has no view of anything).

• shay13
    15 years ago

mldao, I am looking for pictures similar to what you have in your living room. Can you tell me a little about them so that I can search for something similar on art.com? Thanks!

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

cooperbailey I love how you set up your porch..it's so inviting and cozy. The roses surrounding your porch entry way looks like a picture out of a magazine. I truly have ROSE envy.. (deer love mine) That CL find was a unblievable!! Nice fabric you selected for the pillows too. It all just fits in perfectly. I don't know how your kitchen looked before..but I must say, it looks really nice and I love the color combo with the cabinets and granite.

newdawn...love your dining area it's just lovely and is also like a scene from a magazine..we've got the same decorating tastes.. I love to mix & match new and old too.