SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Garden Art Show

Calamity_J
16 years ago

I'm getting excited about this Saturday, wish I had a new paint job on the deck to Really show this stuff off but at least I'll hope for sun, not rain, THAT will show it off!!!

{{gwi:140095}}

Comments (38)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Lord Jesus - help us all to have just but a thimble-full of this kind of talent. Other than that, I'm speechless!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

OMG...I wanna come!!! Look at all this wonderful mosaics, totems, etc.........I didn't realize you were having a sale this weekend.........OMG..........wow.............big WOW..................

• Related Discussions

Garden Junk Ideas!!!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Very nice "stuff". Unfortunately their email link was broken. I tried a work-around but so far have not heard back from them. Here is a link that might be useful: More of the same - more or less.
    ...See More

Bonne Terre Garden Fair, Houma, LA

Q

Comments (1)
    Sounds like a blast. Sorry I missed it. I could use a palm expert, maybe he could convince me I don't need any. Tally HO!
    ...See More

'ascii art' where art thou ?

Q

Comments (6)
    I called : Lorraine Nicholson answered! They DO have Ascii Art! WE had a nice chat about her 104 degree weather & digging iris! Another order sent! Thank you Rebel! Rae Ann PS: Of course I will get you a few also Marion!
    ...See More

Buying "art" and buying "Art"

Q

Comments (27)
    Thanks Rosie. That painting is a pleasure for me on so many levels - the crazy coloring, the "art" labeling, the primitiveness... I am way too constrained to create that freely. And then there is the personal - knowing all DH was going through at the time and his very surprising decision to try painting for respite. It inspires me. For the OP, reflect on what is appealing to you about those museum pieces you like. Crystalize that as best you can. Any gallery would be happy to help you discover works you love, for a price. If that price is prohibitive, try 'lesser' galleries, student art shows, resale shops, art fairs - just look and trust yourself to respond. Let yourself make a mistake or two, it's the only way to learn what you really love. And yes, framing can make all the difference.
    ...See More
  • daisyme
    16 years ago

WONDERFUL! Oh, how I wish I could see them this weekend! I love your bunnies, your rooster, oh, I love it all.

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

What a good selection. I like the rabbits best.

You sure have been one busy person and SOOO talented.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

WOW O WOW!!! It's one thing to be amazed when you
    see your art created one at a time, but THIS is
    spectacular!! Seeing it displayed all over...OH, how I wish I could come to your show!!!

• meadel
    16 years ago

Jeez, I'd settle for a molecule of your talent! Looks great ! I want to come too!
    ( you are smack dab in the middle of my 2 brothers in law.. I'm going to work on a trip out west.)
    I wish you the very best luck with sales and weather!

• klinger
    16 years ago

Ohhh, Janie they all look wonderful, can't wait to come and see them tommorow, I hope you have fabulous success with your sale,
    Cindy

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Jane - I am so excited for you and can hardly wait to hear the results!! Everything looks so bright and cheery! Sending good thoughts your way..........

Pat

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

How did you advertise Calamity Jane? I'd wanting to eventually do what you're doing, but where to start.......did you make you a little road sign by your drive way...............Good luck to you.......I see about five things I would buy if I were there!!!!!!! Maybe 7....Can't wait to hear how this turns out and I hope you have the best weather....right now here in So. IL. we are building our Arks and putting on our life jackets..another storm has hit............gish! The Mississippi, Big Muddy and Ohio Rivers are filled up and gushing in!!!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Good luck,yes I would fight Gypsie for some of them.Let us know how it goes and the prices you did if they sell,which they should easily!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, everything looks beautiful. Good luck with your sale..I hope the sun shines!!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

oh it all looks so wonderful Jane. I wish you all the best and hope you have a great turn out! with every pictuse I saw my new favorite art! lol

• becky_ia
    16 years ago

I agree with all. Your presentation of your work looks fabulous! I think you should do very well. Please tell us about the totems....what did you use to put them together...GEII Silicone? Everything looks so wonderful. We will be anxiously waiting to hear how you did.

Becky

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

Wow! Jane, it looks so awesome all arranged together like that! I wish I lived closer, I'd stand on the highway for YOU with a sign like you made for ME when I came to visit!lol! Can hardly wait to see what you sell but I'm sure it will be hard to part with any of it! Good Luck!

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Hey, Calamity - just popped back in to take anotehr look-see.....would you mind posting a closer pic of the sphere on the far right of the first shot - purple and green with a yellow/golden diamond. Don't remember that one and it is really attractive!

Pat

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DARN!!! So much for a dry run! It's raining cats and dogs!!! I may wait till a nicer weekend now since I was only going to leech off a "lady down the street's" Plant Sale, Anyhoo, here's some pics of my signs, totems glued with GE Marine silicone, and the "Tomato Orb"LOL and a fuzzy pic of it lit up, just showing how colorful it is! Klinger is coming this morning so I'll whine to her!!!

My Pics

Â
    Free Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

OH MY GOD Jane! Your display is fantastic and there are so many pieces that I just love, I couldn't possibly pick a favorite! I wish I could find 1/4 of the cool stuff you use in your mosaics. I hope you get a lot of people to come and buy!

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Rain, rain go away..come again another day! We must be
    on the same weather path...sunny and 61 yesterday
    ...overcast and windy and cold today....YUCK!
    Hope you have better weather next weekend.
    Love the light up tomatoe and the totems are just too
    cute...especially the easter bonnet one!

• doone
    16 years ago

Wow! I Love your piggies (are these piggy banks?), and your flower window, and your ball that has the light inside (tell me how you made that!)..and I love your mushrooms....!!!

What are those things that are hanging??

• cait1
    16 years ago

WOW!!! To see all your work in one place... AMAZING!! I really love that blue totem. So hard to find blue here. And that 'tomato' that light up!! Whoooweeee!!
    y'know, I'd have the show anyway. Maybe it's good to have people see how these magnificent creations would sparkle up their gardens on dreary days.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

fingers and toes crossed that your weather turns for the best!

• crystal01
    16 years ago

OH JANE! WOW!! It's so awesome to see all your pieces together! AWESOME!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

I hope it clears up for you Jane......did you wash your car..normally that's when it rains for me.......however, it's rained here for two weeks.....gurgle! GOod luck tomorrow....the sun will shine for you!

• moosaics_cher
    16 years ago

Very, very inspiring. The roosters and glass totems are very neat! It all is...
    Thanks for sharing!

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Wow Calam - everything looks fantastic! I have so many favorites in the pics. Wish I could be there in person. I know it's even more beautiful in person!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

This show is going to bring you fame in your area. Get ready for some commissions.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Everyone! Klinger came over and I bounced my price list off her, and went out and put all my signs up last night. I've recruited DH for the Garden Show on the 26th,27th, he will be spending "quality time"(lol)with me as he is leaving for Africa for the whole month of May.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

oh man Jane's gonna be on her own for a whole month - the WIPs will be flying!

good luck today, make oodles of money!!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it's 2pm here and I'm ready to pack it in, only 5 people came and no one bought, one lady took a card and said she wants to do a mosaic class, so who knows. I did get my mirrored shower door grouted today and also my BB. I think I'll have better luck at the Garden Show on the 26,27th.I did this to get used to talking to people about My Art, like a real artist!LOL! It's way easier to talk to All of You cuz you "Get" me! Here's the pics of my mirror and BB. I used the blue slate grout on both pcs, did the butterflies in black grout, once it dries I think it will be a bit more of a contrast.

My Pics

Â

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

It's a start! Just think, if those 5 people tell
    5 people who tell 5 people, etc.......you're gonna
    have quite a crowd at the next showing!
    LOVE that slate blue grout! And I like how you
    did just the flutterbys in black, that really makes
    them pop! I've been telling anybody who'll listen
    about your shower door...now I can show the picture of
    this amazing work of art! I like the (mostly) all blue BB, it's soothing.
    They are both just beautiful!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Oh Jane that shower door is ABSOLUTLY STUNNING! another great BB too but the door blows me away!

Cindiloo is right, this is the leg work of marketing. They'll talk about what they saw, you betcha!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Yes, word of mouth is the best advertisement. I think you should put your signs out at home whenever you are "going to be home" so people passing will see. You never know! This is just the beginning....you gotta keep putting yourself out there.....! Fame will follow! I am excited for you! And your husband going on his trip to Africa and you home alone......watch out...he'll come home and you will have the outside of your house mosaiced!!!!

• cait1
    16 years ago

Ok, so now that you have a feel on how to sell yourself to 'strangers' the Garden Show should be a breeze!! And maybe your mosaic class will grow into THE place to be and you'll have people flying in from all over just to attend!! And we can say, "We knew her when..."

Love that shower door. It's soooo colorful! I have two leaning against my garage. Wanna come over and get 'em? Hey, if hubby can go to Africa there's nothing stopping you from coming here to Oz!! HAHAHA "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Vancouver anymore."

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Awe man i would of bought something. Sorry not a great turn out. Bet you do awesome at the show.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, after whining to you, 4 more people showed up, one was a "Crafter" from the mainland and was here visiting a ladyfriend of hers in this neck of the woods, anyhoo, she said to advertise a mosaics class, and if there is enough advance, she will sign up and come over for it! She was very helpful and encouraging about craft shows as she does lots of them, and teaches crafts. And my neighbor who I bought the wonderful windows off of and Tea set, came by with her DH and they were blown away with everything, especially the tea set and cake!(not for sale but showing it off!) And as I talked with them I got a "Vision" of taking two or three of the windows and making a BIG EXTRAVAGANZA!!!here's a pic of the windows when I scored them, all 8!!! and the tea set too.

My Pics

Â

• daisyme
    16 years ago

Well, I wish I'd been able to be at your show. I love so many of your pieces. Keep showing...word will get around about your art!

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

What a treat to see your work on display!!! My particular favorite is that wonderful frog! But... I like it ALL!!! As folks said... and as you're seeing... folks will come! :)
    Congratulations! Keep after it! I'm always so impressed with your talent!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!! Your name is out there, and that's a great idea to advertise a mosaic class. You have the talent, experience and personality to be very successful w/a class. Beginning - baby steps - advertisement is the key, IMO. I absolutely LOVE that shower door, and what you said on Silvamae's thread is pure bull pucky - you didn't make a mess of your butterflies!!! Silly girl! It's GORGEOUS! Love your grout colors on the door and BB.

Sponsored