SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Kitchen Refresh Plans for Resale (LONG)

drjoann
14 years ago

I'm mostly a lurker since I won't be building my new house for a while, but I do read this forum fanatically and the advice is amazingly good.

In about a year, we will sell our Houston house and we want to make sensible updates to the kitchen to help with the resale. The kitchen is completely open to the family room and a bay windowed breakfast nook with 10 ceilings and lots of light. It was built in 1992 & I bought it in 1996, but I think the layout is still pretty modern and appealing. Everything in the kitchen is in very good condition, as is the rest of the house.

Here is what we plan to keep:

- White ceramic tile floor (I donÂt think weÂd get the money out if we changed it)

- Light oak arch cabinets (ditto above)

- DW, glass cooktop, wall oven with built-in microwave above

HereÂs what we plan to change:

-Remove wallpaper & paint

-Remove pinkish tile backsplash

-Replace Formica (in perfect shape, but looks dated because it is that kinda faux pink marble look)

-Update pendant lights on chains to ones on rods

-Add hardware to cabinets (currently there isnÂt any)

The 1st two changes are a given. We think we should upgrade to granite rather than just update the formica since this might give us the extra edge over similar properties in the neighborhood. IÂve done an analysis of all of the single story houses currently for sale in the neighborhood and of the 5 houses being offered, only 1 of them has granite. OTOH, of the 7 single story houses which sold in the last 12 months, 6 of those have granite. Granite is certainly an upgrade that is in line for my neighborhood. Opinions?

Five of the twelve kitchens analyzed have added knobs and drawer pulls to the cabinets. That seems to be a pretty cheap upgrade that adds pizzazz. Eleven of the houses have fluorescent lighting. I think that is a huge advantage of my kitchen to have no fluorescents, plenty of natural light and a mix of pendant and can lights. It would also be fairly cheap to change out the pendants with chains to ones that are easier to clean with rods and those could be coordinated with the cabinet hardware for a more pulled together look.

The things we plan to keep are in line with the comparable houses (cooktop is an upgrade) . We could get away with no backsplash since the sink is in front of a pretty bayed window and the cooktop is on an island. But, I think we should do an updated backsplash to be in keeping with the other houses. Everything except the countertop will be DIY.

Are we heading in the right direction? We donÂt want to spend a ton, but weÂre willing to put some money into it so this is the house that someone says "Yes" to and it doesnÂt sit on the market for too long.

Comments (8)