SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newstepmommy

question on empathy

newstepmommy
16 years ago

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and have been reading posts on here recently. Am so happy to have a forum for stepparents! I became a stepmom last summer when I married my husband. We were together from the time my stepchildren were 2 & 6, now they are 6 & 10. We have had them full-time since before we were married. Thats a long story.

Anyways I have a question on empathy. When either of my stepkids cries the other one always starts crying. It can be one of them gets hurt playing outside and cries and the other will cry. One of them can get in trouble and cry and then the other will cry. If my husband or I talk to one of them in the other room privately about something the other one lurks around the corner trying to see what is going on and will ask the other if they are okay when we walk back into the other room.

I guess I find this behavior wierd. I do not have kids of my own, but am a sibling and do have nieces and nephews and friends with kids. I have never seen this situation. I know empathy of others feelings is important but I feel like this is kind of extreme.

Is this normal?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living