SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

The kitchen project begins with a difference of opinions

TxMarti
12 years ago

I'm right of course, but it is causing some dissension.

This is the before (except for the far end where I started gel staining a long time ago and hated it).

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1566096}}

{{!gwi}}

Dh has been lukewarm on this project since I first told him about the mold and wanting to pull the cabinet out. He doesn't think the mold is a problem and thinks I should just shoot some bleach on it. I did a search on white puffy mold today and didn't find anything that fit it exactly, but when I searched for white mold with sweet odor, I came up with hits that fit it, and learned that the stronger the smell, the more mold there is. The smell here is really pungent. It's not sweet exactly, but more like the smell at the Whole Foods Market and the Vitamin Shop, almost like potpourri, and not the good kind.

So today, I began removing the trim from around the cabinets, and went ahead and did both sides of the kitchen even though I'm only doing the right side now. Dh came home, seemed a little ticked, and stomped off to the office. When I got to the trim around the bottom of the bar cabinet, it was all coated with the white mold on the back. I know this cabinet needs to be pulled out, and don't understand why he wants to bury his head in the sand. *sigh* Sorry for the rant.

Here's what I got done today. All trim off both sides. That plate rail was NASTY! Took me several hours to remove the trim and pull the nails out of it. I had no idea it would take that long.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And here is tomorrow's project. Unload this cabinet, cull through and get rid of stuff I don't use, and pack the rest away in the attic until the kitchen is done. Then we'll take this cabinet down. I don't know if I will reuse it or not.

Comments (64)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!