SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemonpeels

Mosaic fireplace...please help

lemonpeels
17 years ago

My wife and I are building a new home and have always wanted to do our fireplace in the den with Mosaics. Here is the question......I have a bunch of left over tile, some glass, some stone, some porcelain, and I am also willing to buy additional tile or glass if needed. We got a bid from a local artisan to do the project and it was tooo high for our budget. Do you guys think that we could do it ourselves? with help from family and friends. And is leftover tile a good medium to use? If not, where would you buy your mosaics online? My plan would be to get some type of backing material..what kind, and from where??? cut it into workable squares and trace a pattern onto the backing and then work on a nice comfortable horizontal surface and then transfer these to the fireplace. I was thinking of having a party wtih the different tiles separated into bins with numbers and then each person would do a square following the pattern on there square and choosing and applying the proper colored tiles to make the overall piece work. I also could use websites that anyone would know of to find pictures of mosaic work that may inspire our project. What do you guys think? I would love to open up a dialogue here and would be happy to tell you much more about the specifics of the project and the ideas i have. Thanks in advance

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022