SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southernstitcher

Will 1/2' overlay honey toned cabinetry look 'outdated'

southernstitcher
14 years ago

My cabinet maker is doing partial overlay (1/2") on my new cabinets. I can't convince him to do otherwise. I am having all drawer bases, which is good, and this cabinet maker does the most fabulous furniture grade finish that I'm really impressed with. Without going into why he won't do full overlay, what do you think? Does it even matter from an "updated design" perspective?

I know that the "honeyed" color with black appliances is also a dated look, so the partial overlay with honey tones is probably really, really dated. So, I'm now leaning towards darker stain with stainless appliances that have some black for the DW and range, and just living with the new fridge being all black.

The surrounding rooms have engineered brazillian cherry floors (BR111 Amendoim) which show as med/dark varied tones, with the DR having the darker formal furniture. The exposed beams are on the darker side as well. I'll go with a lighter wall color to make it all pop but I have no idea what. Maybe a light sage.

I was thinking of keeping the "country" look, but now I'm thinking more sophisticated to match that formal DR furniture might be right. And, I'm getting an Ethan Allen dark kitchen table and chair set from someone, so I need to go darker, yes?

Comments (17)