SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

Bedroom Furniture Layout - Any good ideas?

ntl1991
13 years ago

Hello. I have a 3-family home and live in the 1st floor apartment, which is 2-bedrooms, and about 1000 square feet. When I moved everything in from my 1500 square foot, 2 story, 3-bedroom home, I just put things where there was room, and now I'm slowly working through everything, looking at my options for rearranging furniture placement.

The first room I want to look at is my bedroom. It roughly 12'x11', and has two double-pane, double hung windows on the NW and SW walls. My hot-water baseboard runs along the entire length of the southwest wall. My queen-size bed is centrally located on the SW wall, under the window. I have an end table and a 6-drawer dresser on either side of the bed. On the wall opposite the bed, an interior wall, my 47" television, 2 floor-standing speakers, and corner-style media stand for the stereo components. I have a small 3'x3' closet on the SE wall, also an interior wall.

The problem lies in the fact that my bed, chest of drawers, and end table are all closed bottom. My bed has a solid headboard that extends down to the floor with no gaps. With these 3 pieces of furniture along this wall, it seems as though the room isn't getting as warm as it should because of the lack of air getting to the baseboards, because it's being blocked mainly by the bed and dresser.

I think I like this layout best because of the bed's location to the door, I don't mind the window above my bed, and the television are located in good positions.

What are some other options to arrange my furniture? I know I have a LOT of pieces in this small bedroom, but all of the pieces have a purpose. Would it be wise to swap the placement of the bed, dresser and end table with that of the TV, speakers and media stand? I wouldn't be crazy about the side of the bed being the first thing you see as you enter the room, but if it means a more-even heating, then I'd be OK with it.

Also, I was thinking about putting the bed on the NW wall, but then I'd have to place my TV in the corner between the closet door and wall, and there wouldn't be enough room for the stereo equipment, and I'm not a fan of corner-located televisions.

I would appreciate any suggestions for placement of all of this furniture, and for a visual, I created a quick little floor plan of the room in question.

Thanks,

Nick

Comments (12)