SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Building a railroad for a train that does't exist...

lavender_lass
9 years ago

This is one of my favorite statements...and if you've seen or read Under the Tuscan Sun, I'm sure you know what this means :)

When trains were first traversing Europe, there was no train that could climb the steep trek over the Alps. But people knew the train would eventually be invented that could...they knew the train would come...so they built the railroad anyway.

In the story, the main character and author (Frances) buys a house and begins building a life based on what she hopes she will have. She's had a nasty divorce in her recent past....but she wants to move forward with her life. She wants a marriage in the house, she wants a family in the house, she wants a future. And she decides to buy a house, remodel it and create a life...based on that vision, that hope, for the future. She is building her railroad.

I'm writing this thread because I know there are many of us on this forum, who are starting over, starting something new, recovering from a loss or illness...and I think we need to keep in mind that we are ALL able to build our own future. While we cannot control what may happen to us in life, we can continue to get up, dust ourselves off, and aim for a new and hopefully bright future. We can continue to plan, dream, work, grow and make that future everything we hope it will be. We can build the railroad and wait for the train we KNOW will eventually come. Or we can learn to love building the railroad. Either way, we are moving forward and doing something we believe in...and we continue to have hope :)

I did not put this on the Conversations side, because I want everyone to share (if they like) what they are doing right now...to make that possible. Are you building a new home? Remodeling one? Enjoying one? And whatever may happen, please don't stop looking forward, while we enjoy what we have....all around us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to clip from Under the Tuscan Sun

Comments (19)