SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pawa_gw

looking for flooring suggestions for a 1950's kitchen

pawa
11 years ago

Hello,

I have been lurking for a while. It has been great fun to look at all the beautiful kitchens posted here, and soak up all the info on 'what's trendy' (seems like EVERYTHING is trendy! Even the "i'm trying to make my kitchen look original to the house" concept is trendy...sigh...)

Anyway, there have been many kitchens here that have been very inspirational to me. They have changed my whole approach to kitchen planning. before, I was going to go with an all-white kitchen, with typical finishes, but based on some of the really colourful and original kitchens featured here, I decided to be a little more adventurous and just pick things I like as opposed to worrying about resale and what other people think is nice (why am I worried about resale? I'm not even leaving!).

So now I am on the final stretch of sourcing all the things for my kitchen. The kitchen is original to my 1952 home, but is not salvageable, unfortunately. Too much bad DIY.

The kitchen is a galley - approximately 8 X 13. The width of the galley corridor is 4'.

The look I am going for is fun, vibrant, and cheerful. I will have yellow walls, yellow tile, white slab cabinet doors (and a few glass cabinets, see pic). Black hardware.

With that in mind, do you have any suggestions for flooring? I'm sort of stuck. I could do some sort of marmoleum pattern on the floor - either two-tone yellow, or black-and-white. Or some other colour? Or wood? Or something else?

I currently have wood (medium oak) in the kitchen, but it was installed post-cabinets, so it only goes up to the toekick, and it's not very tight up against the toekick. If I wanted to keep this wood, would I need to buy similar wood and install it so that it goes under the new cabs. Not sure whether it's worth it to do this or start over.

So anyway, in short: any ideas for flooring in a yellow, white galley in a 1950's home?

(counter looks glossier than it actually is. Counter is actually matte.)

Here is the hardware (was doing a little layout to make sure the black wasn't overpowering :-):

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!