SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fixizin

Totally CLEAR (Lexan/Lucite?) cabinets would make tiny kitchen...

fixizin
13 years ago

... SEEM much bigger, and less claustrophobic, is my bright-ish idea of the evening. I'm talking not just the doors, but the ENTIRE cabinet/cupboard made of transparent materials, possibly with some strategically or stylishly placed frosting. LIGHT would infuse every aspect of it. The walls of the tiny dead-end kitchenette are suddenly 2 feet farther away, i.e. the space immediately seems 4' wider!

Plus it says "I'm not ashamed of my dishes and stemware", not to mention that it gives the false impression/subliminal suggestion that my unseen MidMod closet/pantry/dresser spaces are equally tidy and squared-away, LOL.

Alas, ol' censored and slanted Google is not bringing up anything to match my envisioned cabinets. It doesn't seem like that original an idea...? Didn't expect to find such at Blowe's or Evil Orange, but kinda thought they'd be "off the shelf" at some trendy online vendor... nope, not really.

I recently saw this "space-enlarging" effect in action in a living room, with the most interesting variation yet on the classic Wassily Chair, i.e. kept the slender chrome frame, but replaced all the leather straps with rows of transparent rubber "spaghetti" bands. AWESOME visual, and very comfy too. You could carpet the room with these, and have it still "seem" like you had a dance floor.

Anyway, any insights on makers/crafters/suppliers of the elusive see-thru cupboards and cabinets?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!