SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momto3kiddos

I was so nervous about the size of these pendants, and now....

momto3kiddos
11 years ago

I think they work just fine. I thought my lighting salesperson was crazy when he suggested pendants that are 24" wide and 36" tall, but I decided to go with him on it. This kitchen is totally open to the living room and I think the lights help define the kitchen space. In one of these pics you can sort-of see the breakfast nook light. It is currently covered because sanding and finishing of the floors will happen as soon as I can get the humidity down. Right now there is a dehumidifier sitting in the sink. :) I have also included a pic of the backsplash I chose. It will be in at the end of the month. It is Pratt and Larson and we are getting the color on the left in a 3x6 subway and laying it herringbone. I thought about the arabesque but was worried about cleaning in the grooves.... I am not very good at dusting regularly.

Comments (51)

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments The wall is bm revere pewter and inside the coffers, bm Rockport gray. The granite is antique river. I am not sure what other names it goes by because I never saw another like it. I really wanted delicatus but they were all too yellow in my area.

• heidihausfrau
    11 years ago

Those lights are awesome! You can really pull that off with your soaring ceilings and the big beams. Those of us with the 8 foot ceilings are envious!

• Related Discussions

So excited...and a little nervous (pics)

Q

Comments (2)
    Congratulations on your nice score. It should be an easy grow for you in Irvine. More shade will translate to deep green and large leaves at the expense of flower production. The foliage cover of your plant is a little on the sparse side, but in time it will fill up and become a very dense tree. Before that happens, you might need to give it some sun-scorching protection when it gets really hot (90F plus). M. X alba needs acidic well-drained soil with high organic content. So mix lots of pumice/perlite/lava rock/sulfur/compost/peat moss into your existing soil. A great fertilizer recipe I got from a commercial grower is to mix 4 tablespoons of fish emulsion and 1 tablespoon of water soluble 20/20/20 such as Miracle Grow in 5 gallons of water. Use one or two cups of this every time you water during the growing season (for your location, it is probably from April to November). Skip once a month and let regular water flush out accumulated salt. Try it and you will be amazed at the amount of new growth and flowers. Fish Emulsion does smell fishy but that usually dissipates in a day. What I do now is to dilute this dosage by half and use it even more liberally. One other thing to consider is to keep heading back your M. X alba so that it stays shrubby. Its natural tendency is to grow into a 20-30' tall tree in a few years, which will be good for flower production but you will have a hard time harvesting them.
    ...See More

Highjack has made me nervous, what now??

Q

Comments (7)
    Sorry I made you nervous :>) The old saying if it's not broke, don't fix it certainly applies here. My way is not the only way and it was not my intent to say it would only work IF you listened to me. It was to give an example. I posted my pics to show this does work for me, in my zone, in my containers. Using the pics of the newly planted containers in '05 and what they look like today I thought was better than just saying I can do this. Sorry anitamo you lost plants and L. Roy El got puny. I have had my Roy El planted in a container for two years after it lived in the ground for two years so it was quite large when I moved it. It has made it through two winters and the '07 spring from he!! just great. I hope yours recovers because he's a great one.
    ...See More

Nervous about various pull sizes

Q

Comments (2)
    Well, if it matters, I'm not going to worry about what's going to happen in 10 years. When we do our kitchen this spring, I'll more than likely be choosing whatever looks best in my kitchen regardless of size be it standard, multiple different sizes, or whatever. If you are really concerned, choose a standard length for all cabs but a more updated style for now. These may be easier to replace in the future.
    ...See More

I am so nervous about my tile!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Got that right!! When I finally picked the PERFECT bs tile, I was so thrilled. It finally came in, I brought it home, and was almost immediatly plagued with thoughts that I had made a terribly expensive mistake. The tile was special order, non refundable. So now what was I going to do??? Well, I put it up anyway because I knew I didn't have the money to go out and buy new tile (and because DH would kill me..lol). As it turns out, the tile is exactly what I dreamed it would be. It is perfect and gorgeous and I love it. I am sure your tile will be perfect too.
    ...See More
  • Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

Your space is just gorgeous!!! The lights look really awesome in your space!

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    11 years ago

Love the lights! The size is really great.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Love your space and your planning so far. Forgive me for being the dissenting vote but I'm questioning the scale. For me, the pendants detract from the gorgeous space you've created. In person, it may be entirely different. When I look at your pictures, I see the pendants (not the space), definitely not the same feeling as when I saw your space before (if that makes sense). I'm always thinking of the hippocratic oath; first, do no harm....

• gpraceman55
    11 years ago

I love the cabinets and your ceiling. However, I too think that the pendants are out of scale. To me, it makes everything else seem small.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Do you want input or are we just previewing what's complete?

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well.... I guess a little of both, opinions and review. In the room, considering that it is essentially 36' x 21' not counting the breakfast nook you see, it doesn't seem overpowering in person, I don't think. I think they will look less large visually when there are barstools at the island, a table in the nook and sofas in the family room.

I was, however, leaning towards the Troy Maidstone 4 light pendant that is 17" wide and 35 in tall. The light guy talked me out of it because of the finish.

It really is too late to change to something else without spending lots, which would be problematic. Unless some of you are looking for foyer lights???

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What else do you see working here?

• chispa
    11 years ago

I have to agree with the dissenters. I don't think those lights do anything for the space. I would prefer to see something more see-through, that doesn't block the cabinets and the space in general.

I used a Pratt & Larson arabesque and there are no extra grooves to clean. The ones I used are flat like a regular tile and have the same grout spacing as a regular tile. Yes, the grout lines aren't dead straight, due to the curved design, but they don't get any more dirty or are any harder to clean than a square/rectangular tile.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I agree that the pendants are too large and dominate the space. They would seem to be made to fill a two story foyer. They look almost as big as the hood, which I don't really see, or see the rest of the kitchen. The spacing doesn't look right either, to me. They are too close to the ends. It doesn't look balanced.

I actually think the finish and style of your selection looks more like your kitchen than the cylindrical ones. I don't know how their size would work but I do like them better.

Beautiful, beautiful kitchen and lovely colors.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

The second light you show has a brass finish, which seems similar to the finish on the lights you installed. With your faucets and the overhead light in the breakfast area, a silver color might be better.

The lights I have ordered and returned, and moved (I am now quite good at repairing the drywall holes left behind)......DH is incredibly patient and will mount them temporarily so I can live with them for a few days. If you order something else, make sure there is no restocking fee. Also, it looks like you have a whole house to light so wherever you purchased should be willing to take back the lights in exchange for future business.

I also agree with Snookums about the location.

One last question and comment. What is the purpose of these lights? I've struggled with lighting our kitchen adequately. The ceiling cans we installed are Cree LEDs, which are too bright and a little cold (despite being 2700K and dimming to 5%). I prefer to turn on the light over the island and use the other non ceiling lights for mood lighting and nightly use. Are you planning pendants over the island? If not, you may find that you are turning up your cans and these lights more than you'd like for the right task lighting. Of course, with the pendants you have up, you are probably lighting the whole house...:)

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Thu, May 9, 13 at 5:56

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Here are a few from Tech Lighting which I thought might be worth considering. Best of luck, oldbat2be

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Oh jeez, I thought these were over the island.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

I think you're right snookums, just took a closer look at the angled picture of the kitchen.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Momto3kiddos
    Well you have one fabulous space there. Really though you need to get the Troy maids for your space. They wont try to be the star of the show as it seems the current ones do. The current ones have such a large shade cylinder inside the cage it just stops your eye right there and you don't look to the room beyond. I do like them however just not in your lovely kitchen.
    The Troy Maids I do like . The shade is much smaller and the cage is angular and the top angles much like your rangehood. I like the color also nothing says you cant shake the color up a bit. Also with four bulbs in each you may like the light output better also.
    I understand the placement of the lights on your beam but the current ones call attention to not being centered on the island. The Troys being more open and angular may disguise that somewhat.
    Really love the colors you've chosen, cant wait to see it finished.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is really awesome, so I'm sorry to say that I don't like those lights at all. They so dominate the space which already has a lot of upper level action going on (beamed ceiling, differently colored cabs with varying heights and depths). Also, because they're not centered over the island, I wonder what's their purpose?

Lighting can be so expensive, I understand what a big bite this may take out of your budget. But, sorry, I don't think they don't look good there.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Your space is so beautiful! I agree with the dissenters, but it's really hard to know for sure until you get the entire thing finished with all the lights on. If it were me, I'd return them and get something smaller.

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks you all! I talked to my lighting folks and they are happy to take any back if I don't like them. I plan to wait until we have some power to see what it looks like on then make a decision. Thanks for the suggestions, oldbat, but I am not too fond of the ones you suggested. Most are a little too modern for my taste. The Troy Maidstone above is 17" wide and 34" tall. It seems less bulky, so I think this size would work... What do you guys think? I don't want the bulb to be visible for glare reasons when working at the island, as for the spacing. The island has two levels and is the same length as the wall of cabinets behind it. They are centered on the wall of cabinets with the centers being 36" from each end of the run- at the same place as the break in the cabinets for the fridge and microwave stack on each end. I was thinking they would block the hood if placed closer together.

• gpraceman55
    11 years ago

34" tall seems awfully tall for a pendant fixture going over an island. Are you counting the pole/chain to attach it to the ceiling or is that the height of just the fixture itself?

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Sausalito light installed above is the same height and 22" wide. However, the barrel of the Sausalito goes that high and the Maidstone looks as if the box is about 22x22" square. So, i think it will look smaller in comparison. These ceilings are 12' tall and the bottom of the lights are currently hung at 6'(about 3' over the island).

What size light do you all suggest for a 12' ceiling? I could always use three smaller pendants.

• kal34
    11 years ago

The space is gorgeous! I particularly love the amazing ceiling; however, I, too think the pendants are so large and overwhelm some of the other architectural details of the room.

• gpraceman55
    11 years ago

I am not an interior designer, but I am not sure that the height of the ceiling is really the consideration. I would think that you would want pendant lights that are in scale with your cabinets.

Also, with the length of your island, I would think that you would need more than two pendants.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Iv'e seen that cage like look of yours without the shade inside, I think that would be really pretty, I will try and find a picture of it.

• gpraceman55
    11 years ago

Does the manufacturer of that chandelier in the eating area make a coordinating pendant? If so, that might be an option to consider.

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the coordinating pendants with the breakfast nook chandy. Thanks gpraceman for the idea! Winter gold is certainly hard to match, but Troy and capital both have a few.

I like this one a lot. The width is 12.5 inches and has three lights. I think if I keep the bottom at the same height as the existing pendants then the glare from the bulbs will not be we problem. Everything will be on dimmers and switched separately... The led cans, pendants and ucl.

This one is pretty but is 22" wide. I think I need to go with something more vertical than horizontal because of the ceiling height. I would love your feedback.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

There does seem to be some photo distortion going on, especially with that left pendant. In neither picture does it look 3 feet from the end. It also looks larger in the first picture. Maybe that's why you see it differently than we do. I still think it's too large (cabinet size, good analogy), but making a decision once all is done is a good idea also. Things can look quite different overall at that point.

It's your taste and I don't know how you see your kitchen or plans to finish it, but I really like your original fixture (although I don't know if the scale is right, it could be too large also). I don't dislike the newest 3 light but it somehow does not make me think of your kitchen, being so sleek and contemporary.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

From your latest post: I like but don't love both options, but note that the second one is a bug-catcher! I don't clean my light fixtures as often as I should, so refuse to get the upturned kind.

Here's one that's similar to the Maidstone, but comes in polished nickel, matte nickel, or bronze. It's 28"x14", so a little better proportioned for your space, maybe? I've been in love with this light fixture (sold at Shades of Light) for quite some time, but it's just too darned big for my space!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shades of Light pendant

• gpraceman55
    11 years ago

Of those two, I like the first better. The 2nd seems way too wide. The 1st being open in the middle, would not block the view of your cabinets as much.

You might want to look at the height of the pendant in relation to the height of the island, not in relation to the height of the ceiling, since the pendants will hang over the island. I think that is why your existing pendants look out of scale to some people as they are visually comparing the size of the pendants to your island and cabinets, not to your ceiling height.

• carsonheim
    11 years ago

Wow, such a lovely kitchen, and your colors are Just.Right. :)

I'm sorry you are getting so many dissenters here on the light fixtures... must be disheartening after trusting the lighting folks and then installing them!

here's my take -- your gut first told you to go with the Maidstone Troy. I think that light fixture would be fabulous in your space! It's really easy to second-guess ourselves when an "expert" tries to steer us in a different direction. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I also quite like the 12.5 width winter gold that coordinates with your breakfast nook chandy. That's a very nice fixture as well!

If you LOVE what you have, by all means keep it. If you don't and are now wishing you had gone with something else, make the change. The additional $$ for the change will be long forgotten when you walk in your kitchen and say "THIS is exactly what I had been hoping for!"

Best to you!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I do think there is some distorted perspective in the photo that is throwing a lot of us off. It seems that the two lights are centered lengthwise with the island. What is throwing me is the pendants seem not to be centered with its width, appearing to be actually out of the kitchen, even behind where you would sit at the counter. Perhaps it's their large size that is creating an optical illusion of them being closer. Good news that the lighting people are willing to take them back.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

The lights should be centered over the island, not centered on the wall - if they hang over the island.

I agree that they are too large and distract from the kitchen.

• chispa
    11 years ago

The best lighting store in my area allows customers to borrow any of the lights in the showroom to sample at home. Do you have a store like this? This would allow you to bring a few different sizes over to the house and have someone hold them up on the counter, while you get a feel for how it looks in your kitchen.

I thought I wanted a drum pendant with an opaque shade over my kitchen table, until I borrowed one from the store and realized that it would block the view out of the windows. Went with a more open chandelier and like that I can see through it.

• Sarina
    11 years ago

I love space too and granite is wonderful. I feel though to the lights might be to big too as my eye is only going to them and by passing looking in to the cabinets and hood.

• Sarina
    11 years ago

Wow ton of mistakes in that post above with the word to and too lol oops :) I just noticed on second look the ceiling which is so great ! I think it was because of the lights not sure though it is late .

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

So sorry to pile on, but my first impression was whoa!!! Those fixtures are too large and take away rather than work nicely with all the other wonderful features of your beautiful kitchen.

I would want smaller fixtures over the island for both practicality and to make visual sense, and use the walkway behind the island to be the invisible dividing line between the kitchen and the living room. Where these are hung, I feel as if I'd need to duck every time I walk by the island, whether I do or not. I suggest using a grocery bag and stuff it with crunched up newspaper and masking tape to shape it approximately to the size of your light fixture to "audition" it in the space as judging scale is so difficult to do without a visual aid.

We have a similar set up in our house with the kitchen open to the family room.

We kept the pendants small and over the island. (We also added a soffit for a visual separation.) Then we used the walkway behind the island as the dividing space and put the sofa with it's back to the kitchen and a bookcase behind it upon which we put large lamps to add to the visual separation.

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

I think the lights are way too large, but I was not going to say that and am surprised that others actually did!

Is there a light that would compliment that beautiful grey color in your island?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Love your kitchen and love the lights, but I also think they are way too big. I know that's a beautiful huge island, but they dwarf the cabinet door pairs. In terms of size and shape I'm sorry to say they look like the size or trash cans, especially in the smaller picture that oldbat posted.
    Do they come in a smaller size?

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok guys, I so appreciate your feedback. You have confirmed what I was thinking but I was trying to justify what we have. I am definitely going to change them. So these are my ideas....
    1) Use same style light in a 13" wide x 22" high size (smallest they make)
    2) capital soho 3 light pendant 11" wide x 23" high (may use three)
    3) currey and company regatta pendant 6" wide (would probably use 3 of these)
    4) Troy Maidstone 12 " wide x 23 " high ( I think this is too opaque...the shade fills a lot of the interior but I love the shape and look of it)

Please continue to give me your feedback until we have this figured out. Just for Info, the breakfast nook light matches the soho light exactly in finish. It is winter gold. The Sausalito pendant is a very close match. Both look very silver with highlights of gold so they do look good with the stainless faucet in real life. I am not sure how the bronze finish of the other two would look. I think the regatta light has enough of the gold color in the shells. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

This is #2.

This is #3

This is #4

• Sarina
    11 years ago

I really like the last one in that group .

• gpraceman55
    11 years ago

I like option #2. Matches the chandelier and I like how it is open, so not to be so much of a visual obstacle. Plus, I think it would add a rather elegant touch.

Three pendants, spaced appropriately overly the island would look better than the two with your current locations.

• rkb21
    11 years ago

I still love your space, but didn't give my opinion on the lights initially since I wasn't sure that you were looking for opinions on them. I, too, thought they looked out of proportion to your space and seem heavy.

I really like the 2nd option. I think something open and airy would be perfect for the space. Let it be an accent piece and have it not compete with the other elements in the space.

Can't wait to see what you choose!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

#4 is my favorite fixture but #3 I can picture more because of its coloring, I think, and it seems like you want a touch of something more modern, less serious. Not sure about the scale of either though.

• taggie
    11 years ago

I like option 2 the best and they should be centered on the island, not on the ceiling beams, and a little closer in from the ends.

Gorgeous cabinetry btw!!

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks you guys! I need to clarify the spacing. It is fairly tricky because the island is indeed two levels which cannot be seen well with the photos I posted. I will try to take a different angle tomorrow.... Straight on. There is a small table height section to the left, so the entire length of the island is the same as the wall cabinets behind it (14'). I think if I do three lights I will add the third in the center and leave the others spaced as is. They are three feet from the end of the island and the three lights would then be spaced 4 ft from each other.

I have the led cans you can see (6 around the island). Do you think option 2 allows for enough task light? Or do I really need additional task lighting there?

As far as style, I am not sure what to call the look I am going for. Overall, the house is traditional and I have chosen many transitional touches. My mom calls it modern, but I don't. :). I don't want this area to feel formal, after all, it is open to the family room with a floor to ceiling stone fireplace. I like the look of lanterns, too, but most I have seen seem like a cleaning nightmare because of the glass. Other thoughts?

• msrose
    11 years ago

I like the style of #4, but I wish it didn't have the shade. I think that's part of the problem with the one you have now is the shade blocks the view of the kitchen, so I would like to see through the lights. For that reason, I would probably go with #2.

This post was edited by msrose on Sat, May 11, 13 at 13:33

• msrose
    11 years ago

double post

This post was edited by msrose on Sat, May 11, 13 at 11:20

• cawaps
    11 years ago

I've been having trouble visualizing relative sizes, so pardon me while I recap what I've spent the last 15 minutes working out in my mind.

The fixtures that are there now are 24x36
    The options are
    1) 13x24, so 54% of the width and 67% of the height
    2) 11x23 so 46% of the width and 64% of the height
    3) 6x?? so 25% of the width
    4) 12x23, so 50% of the width and 67% of the height (you gave dimensions of 17x35 when you first posted the pic of this--I'm assuming this is a smaller size version and not a typo)

The opaque parts of (1) and (4) are smaller than the external dimension--more like 8 or 9 inches. #2 is all cage and #3 is all opaque.

I think the size on any of these would be fine. The opaque part of #4 is (I think) about the same size as the opaque part of #1 and just a bit bigger than #3.

I don't love the style of the original fixture and I don't really like the finish. I know you said it matches your other fixtures, but to my mind (based on the pic only) it doesn't work well with the combination of your island and perimeter cabinet colors. For me, it would be between #3 and #4.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

More pretty choices. Don't like # 3 with your space, too glamorous if that makes any sense. As for the others, I don't know; seems like it would be better to complete more of the kitchen before making a decision. You already have a lot going on there. Big space, staggered height cabs, large hood, detailed ceiling, 2 high arch faucets visible from the family room, appliances not in that back wall yet, and weren't you going to do glass doors with a pattern similar to the pendants? Did you decide against the glass?
    Anyway lots of details already, and more to complete before adding the jewelry IMO. I like the shape of a lantern for your space and the idea of only 2 so they don't add visual clutter with another in front of the hood.

Would be helpful to see a better picture of the breakfast room chandy, a straight on pic from the family room, and also straight on from the side so we can see the bilevel island. Are the current fixtures directly over the low or high level of the island or between?

Also what color is your door hardware? Will your fridge be paneled or stainless?

This post was edited by island on Sat, May 11, 13 at 13:23

• msrose
    11 years ago

I accidentally came across this post on Houzz and thought it might help you to see these in a kitchen.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Oak Park Kitchen And Bath Fixtures Diskin Designs