SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettycbowen

Betty's backsplash technical question

bettycbowen
16 years ago

I've taken a break from being completely distracted by the pictures from youall's great sphere exchange - WOW - to ask for some advice.

I am de-grouting my backsplash practice piece, and a few things have occured to me - so I took down the fridge magnet by Anna Fietta, and realized that the blue I see between her smalti is actually a painted background. I have no idea why I didn't do this before. I really don't care for the grouted smalti, I love the uneven thicknesses and seeing the sides of the tiles. Granted, I still have cleaning to do, but I much prefer the ungrouted. I know smalti isn't usually grouted, but I also knew she has color between her pieces, so now I know.

Issues --

I was going to do the mosaic on fiberglass mesh and then mount it, so had the contractor do the kitchen in greenboard. But if I paint the greenboard, the fiberglass mesh will show.

Doing the mosaic on plywood or wedi board would waste the whole greenboard issue.

I like the uneven surface of the smalti, so don't think I can do reverse mosaic.

Isn't there yet another way that would let me paint the background and do smalti and not grout it? like a reverse-reverse?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz