SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

XP: need help with white kitchen cabinets on white walls

gsciencechick
15 years ago

I got a referral from the Paint forum to try here.

Our kitchen BADLY needs repainting (150 sq ft). It is a very dirty-looking creamy beige color painted who knows when ago.

The house is a 1960's ranch, and there is paneling in the kitchen which is currently painted the ugly color. We want to go for the cottagey look, which is good, because the paneling is staying put.

DH wants white on white. I am less than thrilled, but will compromise since we did the bathrooms how I wanted. We have been told that we should paint the cabinets not the same shade of white, but slightly different so they will offset and not look bad like they do now. We will also eventually update the backsplash which will help a lot in this area, too, probably some blue/white small mosaic tiles. We have like a light ocean blue ceramic tile for the kitchen floor, ao I think a cooler color is the way to go.

I would like to use the SW Pro Classic for the cabinets in Extra White. So, what would work for the walls vs. cabinets? Am I correct that should the cabinets be the brighter white or should the walls? I would almost like the very very lightest blue for the walls, but DH is not happy about the light blue at all. SIGH.

BTW, I saw the thread for "what are your favorite whites" in the paint forum, so it seems like we should avoid whites with yellow in them because the floor is blue.

Comments (20)