SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gayle0000

Let's chat about our Garages

gayle0000
15 years ago

Tell me about your garage!

Do you have a garage with your small house?

Attached, detached, or something else? 1-car, 2-car?

Do you use your garage for parking or for storage?

Any tips, ideas, challenges, or solutions for garage spaces and a small home?

I have a 1 car detached garage. To be honest with you, I bought this place in May (it's now October) and have not yet pulled my car into the garage to see if it even fits. LOL! It's been nice weather & have shoved in my new lawn mower, gardening tools & supplies, and general homeowner garage items with not a lot of effort in getting everything organized & put away correctly and the way I'd like to have it.

Getting my garage put together is my weekend project before we get into the winter season.

My neighborhood is all small homes with mostly 1 car detached garages. Most everyone uses their garage space for storage & not car parking. Everyone parks in their driveways & on the street. I don't have an overflow of stuff, so I could probably park in my garage.

My biggest challenge is the fact that my garage does not have a pedestrian door, so there's no garage door opener. If the power goes out, you couldn't get in the garage. I'm thinking of my first midwest winter in this house and not looking forward to either of my options:

1. I could park in the garage & not have to scrape my car, but would have to manually open & close the garage door everytime I come in & out in the snow and cold (with a 3-year old daughter in tow). Call me lazy!

2. I could park in the driveway so I don't have to deal with the garage door, but I'll have to scrape my car all the time. Yep, lazy again.

I'm gonna have to make a decision and just go with it.

Tell me about your garage!

Comments (38)