SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Think I've got it! kitchen WT

2ajsmama
15 years ago

After months of trying to figure out what to do with this window, I think I've finally got something I can hang that won't clash with my FR Romans.

I found this dresser scarf that was my grandmother's, hastily ironed and pinned it up on a tension rod. I think it might have to stay inside mount since unless I stretch it tightly, it's not long enough to cover the casing (definitely not long enough to wrap an inch around each side on a standard rod).

{{!gwi}}

FR (casing for the windows and slider are waiting for better weather since they're too big to finish in the bathroom LOL).

{{!gwi}}

The woodwork in the kitchen is finished, except for the crown we're adding and some baseboard. Just waiting for cousin with nail gun & compressor to come back and nail it up (I gave him my compressor in exchange for carpentry work). I should probably prime and paint what I skimmed today first though. Those 3 big areas over the window were builder's patches for something (nail pops?) that didn't blend in well so while I was filling the thumbtack holes I skimmed them again and hopefully can do a better job of blending them in - or hope the blue plates and crown hide them.

Blue plate

{{!gwi}}

Summer is the only time of year sun is a problem in this window - and only early AM. A roller shade behind this might work - or lining. Do you think this could become permanent? I've been looking at it all day and smiling - I love having family things around, and I never used this on a dresser since I have smaller embroidered ones.

Oh, pardon the dirty dishes and the iron still sitting out - really was in a hurry to try this out and post pic this AM!

Comments (24)

• Fori
    15 years ago

I like it. Understated and classy. And of course it's very cool that it's your grandmother's. You might want to line it so it doesn't get damaged by the sun since older fabrics can be delicate. A roller shade beneath it should work well.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Would a roller shade be good enough or should I sew a lining/backing on? I think it's 50-70 years old (my mom's 67 and she's the oldest, my grandma died in 1971 and this was in with some things my mom didn't want to throw out). No tag - it may even be handmade (though I don't think my grandma made it).

• Related Discussions

Help! I've got spring fever! I've been ordering . . .

Q

Comments (34)
    Brenda, it is nice when even family members are enablers, eh? LOL!! I actually keep telling my husband "There's this garden in Western NY that someday we have to go visit!" I would love to see your beautiful garden some day. The different areas you have planted and the variety is amazing. I've been lusting for some more photos from you. Would love to see what you have on file for your veggie garden from last year if you have any time to post some. Goodness! I finally cracked open the catalog for my local nursery who I really like to support. She's a true plantswoman who I so enjoy chatting with, etc. I just sent an email over to her with my "list" (is was a long one) of plants to put aside for me for pickup when they open. It's a terrible habit I have of giving her a list each year for pickup. But my birthday is always right around when she opens, so it's a birthday present, right?!?! LOL!
    ...See More

I think I've got this figured out.....(maybe)

Q

Comments (24)
    Parma - LOL!! I hope you had a great vacation!! Seriously, thou, girl - I am the cheapest person....I have agonized & agonized over this....paralyzed by this b/c I don't want to waste my money!! I really like hand me downs & old things & hate paying full retail for anything! LOL I held off ordering the shutters on the doors b/c they are custom & if I switch the doors then the door handles will be switched & there goes the money for the doors!! Zula & Patricia - that's the way the shutters will be done once I make a decision!! I plan on having the den french doors done in plantations also. Caroline - what a great space you have. Every pic I have seen of your house is beautiful:) You all have mentioned having the current door swinging out.....I am concerned about that b/c it is quite a drop off there & to the left is another 3 foot drop off - it would be quite a tumble for someone. We do have elderly parents over often. I was thinking about having the doors switched. Does that work? Thanks for the compliments on the color...it is an old Duron color Ardmore Green. I really appreciate all the thoughts....2 days ago I was about ready to rip out the dang fireplace but that wouldn't be good for resale, either. Smiles:)
    ...See More

I think I've got cold feet -

Q

Comments (10)
    Probably a natural reaction -- after all, you are spending a goodly sum and know you will be undergoing a fair amount of stress and angst which most of us experience. There are always a few lucky folks who stay on budget (or even under!) and things go smoothly all the way. But that's quite rare, overall. You are trying to live normal lives in the midst of chaos. There will be strangers trooping through your home and staying there, making noise, for hours on end every day, or hopefully most days. Of course you would prefer to just move to a new place so you don't have to go through a lot of hassle and emotion to get the home you really want! Quite natural, really. But just cultivate patience and focus on how much better you are going to like your home when it's all finished. That, and a good shot of alcohol (see one of the recent threads here for a very funny "been there too" will get you through this. You too can survive the Remodeling Agony! Good luck, and come here often for lots of sympathy and good advice.
    ...See More

Dumbest thing I think I've ever seen in a kitchen

Q

Comments (37)
    We have pull-out steps on our doggy bath so I do get the point of pullouts! But not like this microwave thing! They could have just used one oven and then had a range/oven combo or gotten one of those micros that works as an oven too. Or put a micro under the island or done so many other things! Just looks like bad, bad planning! And then for Better Homes and Gardens to suggest it's a creative solution! Madness! Am I the only one blessed with teens who need training on how to close drawers and cabinets. Mtn, my DH would probably say he's blessed with a wife who needs training on how to close doors and cabinets. I'm not always great at that!
    ...See More
  • growlery
    15 years ago

Fori's right. Sun might rot your artifact in a couple of years.

I'd either sew it to or put it in front of a nice sun-blocking backing, (it can still be light colored, like a cream canvas-type) or, if I hoped to pass it down, move it out of the sun.

A pair of tucks/pleats would be all it took to make it fit neatly, if it's bothering you.

It does look nice. And it makes you smile!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sewing a straight seam is pushing it for me. I don't think I can manage tucks.

So you think I can just put a roller shade behind it? I do have an app. 90 yr old flour sack I can cut for backing!

Or would a heavier canvas be better? I'm not sure how sun-blocking the backing needs to be.

• plllog
    15 years ago

That looks gorgeous!! But I'm concerned about the textile. Hanging in the window like that, it's going to have a very limited lifespan. I don't know much about draperies, and if there's anything you can put behind it which would help slow down the deterioration. It doesn't matter what time of year it is, where there's light there's deterioration. One thing that might help is if you put UV treatment on the windows, but it's expensive.

Do you have any attachment to the piece? If not, you could just use it until it falls apart. Otherwise, it might be worth taking your dresser scarf to a couple of good interiors fabrics stores and see if they have anything that has a similar look. You could use the border for a valance and the remainder for a shade. Usually these fabrics are nylon or similar and hold up a lot better.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made the remark about the sun since I was looking for something to block the sun out of my eyes while I'm getting coffee, breakfast, and making lunches. I never thought about "preserving" this fabric. It's not like my great-grandma's (other side of the family) wedding dress that I have yet to shadowbox. But I really don't want it to fall apart in a couple years either.

We do have Andersen 400 series low-E windows. So not going to add any kind of film, will void warranty.

Do you mean to use this piece as a valance? Or just find something that looks similar? Oh no, the hunt is on again! ;-)

I'd rather just sew some sort of lining onto this, or find a cheap khaki/linen colored valance and sew this onto it, or just use a shade behind it. Does anybody have any ideas on how to make this into a WT that will last for a number of years? This is not one of the sunniest windows in the house, ENE facing, only gets AM sun and not much of it in the winter.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I still like my grandma's dresser scarf best, but it's too short to cover the casing. So I was thinking of one of these balloon shades?

I like the green faux silk, we have a lot of green in the house, but then the blue plates and probably the sponge-painted canisters will have to go.

{{!gwi}}

The white eyelet is nice and I could do more to decorate around it, but I'm wondering if it's too light and airy in contrast to the Romans in the next room (not to mention it doesn't do anything to block the sun from my eyes at breakfast). Maybe that would be better in the laundry room?

{{!gwi}}

Either one I'd probably hang on a decorative (nickel?) rod over and outside the window once I got the crown molding up. The tension rod is just temporary.

TIA

• rosie
    14 years ago

I really do like the way your grandmother's dresser scarf looks and especially that using it gives you such pleasure. Hanging it over valance of a sunblocking fabric of a slightly darker tone (as opposed to lining it) might set off the edge detail nicely. How about picking up an inexpensive valance and tacking it up to see how it looks?

• plllog
    14 years ago

Ajsmama,

I'm sorry I didn't reply before. The construction got hairy and I lost track of the BB.

The low E windows probably wouldn't benefit from UV film (I'm talking about the professional kind, not the hardware store kind), but it wouldn't void the warranty. Don't they have UV protection built in? The film is a topical application, and I think it's held on with friction rather than adhesive.

A UV blocking cloth behind the dresser scarf would help preserve it, but it wouldn't do anything about gravity, and it would be pretty ugly.

But I agree that the dresser scarf is the prettiest. I really do think that a similar kind of border detailed curtain fabric could be found, and give you the same kind of feeling as the dresser scarf. You could even make it up as a roman shade, and pull it up, so that it'll function like a valance, have a similar visual quality to your other romans, and have that wreathed quality that your faux balloons have.

Anyway, that's what I'd do...

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did find some muslin or something at Goodwill last month, thought about lining the scarf, but as I said it's not long enough. I went all through Walmart looking for curtains and fabric (saw Roman shade kit there for $15 but it's really just angle brackets and screw-in eyes, I think I could do better buying things at the HW store).

Where could I find fabric that might just have a cutwork detail like this along the edge? I don't really want lace applied to the edge. We live in the boonies - no Joann Fabrics or anything, though a couple of (rich) towns over there's a Calico Corners - I'm afraid to look there after getting quotes last year for my romans (that I ended up ordering from JCP.com). Thanks!

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Have you thought about getting a natural canvas or linen Roman shade for the kitchen -- maybe edging it with a green to go with the others? You can buy the shades inexpensively (Target carries them adn probably most places that sell window coverings) and do an iron on trim with a green ribbon across the bottom (go horizontal to push the width of the narrow window). You could also do a bamboo or wood Roman shade there -- similar idea to the others but in a different material.

For other ideas, look at table linens for ideas. When we moved from our last house, I didn't want to sell the lace curtains we had with the house, so I took them down and in the kitchen window I used several fruit print napkins as an inexpensive instant handkerchief valance -- just draped over the tension rod. The next owners kept them.

Here's a valance that you could order with Battneburg lace ---

Here is a link that might be useful: Battenburg valance

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh. Boonies! Well, that makes things more difficult. My local independent fabric store has that type of thing. I don't know that either Joann's or Calico Corners would.

Perhaps a premade version would do you well, like the one that Lascatx posted, or this one at Touch of Class which comes in ecru. Neither are as elegant as your dresser scarf, but they have something of the look.

If for premade you prefer the baloon shape, I'll weigh in for the white one. Or maybe even the white one over the green one. I think in the Winter the green one might not be cheery enough.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks p111og - I'll try an internet search - Joann's is about an hour away I think but I didn't see anything on their website that I liked. Maybe there's an independent fabric store closer than that. Within half an hour or so all we have is Country Curtains (saw a cutwork roller shade on their website that wasn't in their catalog, amybe they have it in store along with size/price info) and Calico Corners. Other direction is Walmart, Target, Goodwill, and Kmart. I found the green balloon at Target, white at Goodwill, a Battenburg jabot I haven't put up yet (think it might be too fussy) at Walmart. I haven't looked at Kmart yet b/c that's a little farther away than the first 3.

I really just like the dresser scarf with its small touch of detail. I have some of my grandma's napkins, too, 3 of which are mismatched so won't use them on table, but they're white. And then the same problem as dresser scarf - don't want sun to destroy them. Couldn't find any square napkins I liked at antique store, BBB, Target, or Goodwill. I'll keep looking.

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Low E glass does block a lot of UV radiation but not nearly all of it. Not enough that I would feel comfortable using an heirloom as a window covering.

Overstock has a nice cutwork tablecloth. It comes in a 70 x 88 size, big enough to do your window several times!

Otherwise, you're on the right track w/ Goodwill, etc. I see quite a bit of modern cutwork at rummage & garage sales; cutwork got pretty popular back a few years ago, I think about the time (inexpensive) quilts got so popular, so you'll find it about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock Tablecloth

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, what do you know? I measured, and the window is 36 1/4" incl trim, the scarf is 42". So would it work to hang it high on a rod like this, either line it (even though only the very edge might be inside the window getting light), or put a shade under it? I hate these tie-up shades, have been using them "temporarily" in the FR for over a year, but was just trying out color. I'd do a roman or a roller shade.

{{!gwi}}

Then I found this fabric remnant at Walmart while looking at material for dresses for DD. It's a "decor" fabric so it's a bit heavy, 54" wide by 22" (or so - cut crooked) wide/long. Make a straight valance or maybe a "my3dogs" valance out of this? Or is it too formal for my kitchen?

{{!gwi}}

The tablecloth looks good too - if I use an edge instead of a corner, so just have a little detail like the scarf?

I hate decorating! It's harder than wood finishing! Thanks everyoen with better taste than I have!

• plllog
    14 years ago

Well, the dresser scarf is the prettiest because it's the prettiest, but it's not going to be an heirloom any more if you use it in a window.

Have you looked on eBay for something similar that is someone else's granny's linen? The going price isn't high, since sentiment isn't part of it.

That said, I like the brocade! The neutral color is great since you want the greenery to be the focus of the window, and the figure gives it a nice detail. I think the trick to keeping it from being too formal is not to gussy it up. Make a simple box valence instead of anything with a gather, pleat or scallop, and it'll just be pretty. (Maybe a pleat in the corner, if you have enough fabric.)

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm still trying to think of a way to use the scarf without destroying it. Line it with muslin or burlap? Put a (inside mount?) shade in the window?

Of everybody thinks that it's still a bad idea and I can't find anything similar (someone else's granny's!), then is the vote for the brocade? Not enough fabric to do a swoop (pulled high over trim in the middle) as Bonniee suggested (another thread?), or jabots. So either straight valance (I can line it, sew a rod pocket but that's probably the extent of my sewing skills so no box pleats), or something maybe like this (simple rectangle, just add cords)?

{{!gwi}}

• americancolleen
    14 years ago

I like your grandma's piece better than all the others but I would definitely go out and buy a room darkening shade and install it behind the valance so the sun doesnt destroy it.

I wouldnt want to cover that window with anything heavy - what a pretty view you have and the window brightens up the kitchen. I had a crank out like that and put a very sheer swag that went to the window sill - sort of dressed up the window and didn't block the view or light.

The link below is a lace curtain place I had very good luck with - they have unusual things like lace shades and shade drapes made of lace plus a lot of swags of various lengths (like the hard to find size your window is) - very nice things and they have some good ideas for windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: lace curtains

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks colleen. I do need something to block the AM sun from the top 10" so or. Maybe a roller shade or cellular so I can put it up to about 2-3" when I don't need it?

If I installed a shade could I hang the dresser scarf so it just comes down past the trim, would it be protected enough? It's already got some patches and some (unrepaired) damage, it's just been sitting in a plastic bag with some other doilies since 1971 so it's not likely that I'd be using it anywhere else, but I don't want it to fall apart in just a few years either.

If I put a shade on the window with valance/scarf over, would an inside mount shade look strange (it blocks more light), or should I get an outside mount? I hate cords hanging (esp since this window is only 33" tall inside top to sill), but since I'm short I wouldn't be able to reach over the sink to adjust a roller shade or cordless shade without getting up on a chair. Thanks.

• americancolleen
    14 years ago

On my crank out, I dont think I could put an inside mount shade on there... the lace roller shades I have now have a chain mechanism on the side so you dont have to bend over or reach up (Im short too). Take a look at the link below for what I mean.

I would 'reverse the shade' so that it rolls forward instead of the standard backward. I did it on my lace roller shades and they look a lot better.

You could attach your grandmother's doily to the shade in some fashion ? I bet you have a handy family member or friend who could figure out how to do it without ruining it... hey, it's better to use it than to have it sit in a bag... bet your grandma is happy and you'll smile every time you look at it :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: roller shade stuff

• plllog
    14 years ago

I love your dresser scarf but there is absolutely no way to preserve it and use it in the window. Lining may slow the damage from sun and gravity, but it won't stop it. Kept nicely, away from direct light, overuse, laundering, etc., it could last hundreds of years. In the window, it might last ten, maybe a little more, possibly a lot less.

If you're okay using it up, go for it! It's perfect. Otherwise, a shade would look great.

Personally, I think the straighter versions you've put up look better there than anything swagged, gathered or ballooned. That should be well within your sewing skills. :-) I'll tell you the secret to sewing up something fancy, however. Start with a really good pattern (or instruction book). Cut it out really accurately (no fudging and adjusting as you go, iron the cloth first, and have it really flat (floor is better than drooping off the table)). If it shifts around when you pin it together, take the time to baste it in place. You can even leave the pins in with the basting for security. Then sew it up (hand or machine), press your seams with a dry cloth between them and the iron (no steam, press down rather than back and forth). Clip or trim where directed.

See? It's all about taking your time and doing it right. Heirloom sewing (French sewing) takes a lot more, but basic household sewing is really that simple. The box pleats are all in the pattern. With a good pattern book you can do them too!

Ooops! Sorry for the tangent. You can do a fake corner pleat on the valence with the brocade by doing five pieces: Front panel, two side panels and two corner panels. Sew the top inch or so of the side panels to either side of the front panel. Add the corner panels behind. A box pleat might be easier, but this way you don't need instructions. You can make it even easier if you don't sew the sides to the front at all. Then you don't have to add the rounding the corner measurement.

• davidro1
    14 years ago

Where can I get a set of blue plates like yours ajsmama?
    Anne Hathaway's cottage on the big plates.
    The Globe Theater on the small ones and on soup bowls.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

p111og - I was thinking of just using a decorative rod with finials, so no corner to turn? Would I still do 3 panels in front (and just attach them at the rod pocket, but leave bottoms separate)? I was really just thinking a big rectangle with 1 rod pocket, make it just to the size I want and iron it flat so no gathers like a balloon valance. Would a big flat panel look awful with no pleats? I could let it hang or tie it up with cords like the plaid one above.

David - the pattern is called Shakespeare's Country, I've seen it on eBay (I've been looking for a platter perhaps to hang over the stove so don't beat me to it LOL! Of course if I use the brocade khaki/green I guess I won't be using the plates.). Or check used/antique stores - maybe you'll luck out at Goodwill? It's from the early 60's I believe. Good luck.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh, no, you don't need extra panels or pleats or anything if you're not doing a return at the sides! I didn't mean to give you extra work! A single panel will be fine!

If you want to get fancy you can even add a bit of piping to the edge. If you don't have a good fabric store where you can buy piping on a tape that you can just pin into your seam and sew when you sew on your lining, it's easy to make one.

In case you need instructions:

Find a cord that's just a little smaller around than you want the piping to be, Cut a strip of fabric that's wide enough to wrap around the cord plus about 2 inches, and about six inches longer than the valence. Fold the cord into the strip and pin closed (right side out). Use your zipper foot to sew close to the cord, leaving just a little wiggle room (approx. 1/8"). Trim the edge from the cord to the the raw, to the same width as your seam allowance for the valence, so that it's easy to make everything line up. When you put your lining back to back with the valence fabric, the piping goes in between, with the cord inside and the all the edges lining up. Use your zipper foot again to sew your seam right along where the piping is. Because you left a little room next to the cord, your first stitching to make the piping should be covered by the new seam, but it shouldn't matter since it'll be so far above eye level, if you use matching thread to the piping color to make the piping.

When you stitch, don't go right to the ends, or unpick it back to where your side seams will be. That way you can tuck the end of the piping up in the seam, tack it in place to the lining fabric, and cut it off. You can trim out the end of the cord within the piping fabric at the end to keep it from making a lump.

Then finish the corners and top/rod pocket, as usual.

If you want the piping to go up the sides, make it the correct length (bottom plus 2 sides, plus an inch for turning plus 6" for sanity. As you turn the corner when you're basting/pinning, clip from the outer edge of the piping corner, in toward the stitching line, ending a tad before the stitching.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville