SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
911fan_gw

Help a (Clueless) Guy Decorate his Small 1930s Living Room

911fan
11 years ago

I posted this on the decorating forum and thought it might be better suited here - any help would be great

Great forum here and I was hoping you could steer me in the right direction in regards to design and inspiration�.

Im a 30 year old guy who just bought his first home � its a 3 level all brick end unit townhouse built in 1935 right under 1200 square feet. I love the character of the home with original hardwoods and fireplaces, however due to the small footprint and it being built in the 30s the rooms are pretty small. Also there are a lot of walls that I cant use to anchor furniture due to doorways or fireplaces. I know that it can be a showstopper in the right hand but as this is my first place (and using a guy�s eye to design) its hard for me to envision.

The room Im having the hardest time with is the living room which is 11 x 13 with an exterior door on one wall, a fireplace on another and an entrance to the dining room on the 3rd. As such, I have NO IDEA how to decorate the small space and its driving me nuts!! Ive attached a layout of the first floor below and was hoping someone could help with lay-out and furniture. Id like to do something that looks correct in the older style home because I love the character but am trying to stay away from anything too antique looking, I�d like comfortable, classic style (picture a less over the top Ralph Lauren Brookfield vibe). Any pics would be great as I�m still having a hard time picturing.

Anyway, ramblings aside HELP!!!

THANKS!!

Comments (13)