SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
capesunseting

Cooktop in corner or on island (complicated issues!)?

capesunseting
14 years ago

Hi GWer's,

I've been lurking here for two months and I've been struggling with kitchen designs and my KD/GC firm and I just parted ways b/c I didn't like how he was making me feel guilty for trying to get the exact kitchen I wanted (even after paying him $2k for a kitchen design). LONG STORY! I just kept thinking, "I'm not nearly as detailed as the GWer's, so what's the big deal? sheesh!"

Anyway, ;-) my main problem is the fact that my house was built in 1958 as a test case in using a steel frame house to make jobs for steel workers (or something like that according to one of the original neighbors). I'm in a ranch style house with a fully finished walk out basement. BOTH of my floors are concrete, all my studs are steel. Apparently in the attic you can see the steel beams that look like M's and according to one contractor, all the weight rests on the front and back sides of the house (hence, no load bearing walls on the first floor).

Oh, and I forgot to mention, my kitchen up against the outside wall and behind a staircase to the finished basement, so I'm trying to open up the space by taking the walls down to 46" that separate the kitchen from the DR and LR without doing a two story addition out toward the back of the house (b/c the kitchen is effectively on the 2nd story, when looking at the house from the back yard).

So, in doing my kitchen design I've come to realize that I think there are only two logical places to put a cooktop:

[I'VE GOT PICS OF ALL MY PLANS and what the kitchen looks like now here:

All Kitchen pictures ]

1) on the island with a downdraft (I don't want to do a hood b/c it will take away from the window being the focal point in my open kitchen (the pictures make it clear).

CONS--with this plan is that you have to dig into the concrete floor to lay exhaust piping (and EXPENSIVE and possibly a hazard jack hammering into the concrete floor and messing up the structural integrity of the floor since basement is below?) and each exhaust elbow reduces its efficacy. another problem is the space to the right of the oven under the countertop is a blind corner which is very difficult to use space; even IF I were to get those expensive shelving units designed for blind corners.

PROS--will be able to watch my three kids (4.5, 2.5 and 12mo) while I cook on stovetop. BUT, I read somewhere on here that prep takes MUCH more time, so maybe I'd be better off keeping the "island" (that overlooks the staircase) as a prep/baking area? I was also thinking that maybe i should do a second cooktop for the times i want to cook and watch the kiddos and just not put in venting? i could do an induction cooktop so it doesn't get hot, usually use the area as countertop space and if things start smoking (i rarely cook stuff that does, or fry stuff) i could moe it to the gas cooktop and turn on the vent.

2) in the corner to the left of the sink---(again, please see pics

All Kitchen pictures )

CONS--I'm stuck looking in a...

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus