SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Please weigh in on linen area in bathroom

wi-sailorgirl
13 years ago

We'll be starting a renovation in which we're adding a bathroom soon. Here's the bathroom plan:

Can you take a look at the area labeled linen and tell me what you immediately envision for that?

This bathroom is going to depart somewhat radically from the rest of our eclectic cottage style house. I love clean, modern bathrooms and that's what we're going with here. I might lose a little flow from the other rooms, but this is a standalone bathroom (as opposed to en suite) and I'm not overly concerned about that.

Originally when I saw the linen area (which is admittedly very shallow: only 12 inches deep), I envisioned a custom piece, sort of a book case-type thing with a combination of cupboards, open shelving, maybe even some drawers. It would match and hopefully flow into the custom vanity.

It recently occurred to me that we could also do a closet type area there, that appears to be more built into the wall rather than a standalone piece. It could very well be less expensive and might make better use of the precious space available.

To give you an idea of the rest of the bathroom, the shower will have a frameless glass enclosure on all open sides (except there will be a half wall next to the toilet).

Here is the tile we've picked (off-white 12x24 porcelain tile for the field tiles (all shower plus up to chair rail height in the rest of the bathroom, blue glass ovals as accent tile in shower and around room, light gray tiles, maybe 6x24 but still undecided on that, for the floor):

My "inspiration" photo for what I'm envisioning the vanity wood to be like is here:

The door to the room will be a six-panel door (actually with frosted glass panels) painted white to match the rest of the house.

If you did the more built-in linen area, what kind of doors would you put on it? Something that matched the vanity or matched the main door?

Thanks so much. This will likely be the only bathroom I ever design from the ground up so I'm excited but wary of screwing something up.

Comments (16)