SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Puerto Vallarta-Inspired Projects

texaswild
16 years ago

Have three switchplates drying but can post two items I've made since returning. We made mirrored danglies for the garden, but I hung it inside in order to photograph better. The cross substrate as well as the blue tile were pieces of tiles gleaned from the hotel scrap heap and shards from plates I brought to the group.

PV-inspired projects

Comments (23)

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

I like the colors in the cross and all the things used in the switchplate.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Oh wow I love them both..beautiful colrs..viva mexico!Did you paint the red board too,if you did I'm quitting!

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

Very nice, lively colors. I like both.
    Bianchi

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have added three switchplates to "Inside Mosaics", even though they were PV-inspired. SIRIUS: The one shown in the PV trip album was made by GYPSIE. It was a gift from her to all of us. She personalized each one, and knew I loved tassels and hearts. The ones I've added to my album are waaaaaaaay less, but I enjoyed making them. They were meant to be terra cotta, but I used old grout and it didn't dry, so I sprinkled them w/charcoal dry grout and rubbed it in. W/have been better the color of the walls. **sigh**. Oh, BTW - the thin earring hanging from the corner was one of the pair that Janice, GYPSIE's friend, gave me. I couldn't figure out how to open them to wear them in PV, so when I got home, I figured it out, and dropped one and the little glass bead at the bottom broke at the hole that held it on. So, what to do????? You guessed it. I'm going to unhook this one, and exchange those little glass thingies and wear them. This was just for the picture and I am looking for just the right thing w/which to replace the earring.
    Switchplates inspired by GYPSIE

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Ole! Those are just too cool! I love the mirror dangly things and can just imagine them sparkling out in your garden. Love all the colors in the cross and especially the tomato-soup colored grout!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Wow Slow....your switchplates are so beautiful and puts my humble effort to shame......love yours a LOT! I can't believe how fast you are....well, after seeing you in person...I take that back....well, I know I can run fast cause I have Mexico revenge still and feel like crap! Back to the pot..and not the mosaic pot for sure!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot to respond to your question, CRACK, about the painted door. It's the inside of the door to my stereo cabinet I had made in Damascus.

• sbtexas
    16 years ago

The switchplates are just too cool!! The colors are great and the danglies really add to them.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Y L H!!! Just look at the stuff you are whipping out! And I hear ya Gypsy, about staying close to a washrm!lol! But not too bad. It was so great to meet Gypsy and she is such a fireball in person!!! LOVED the get together!!! I came home and DH saw the pics of all the fun I had and now he says, we gotta plan to get to Texarcana!!!(He says any woman(Slow) who talks hot sauce , is worth meeting!ha! I'm going to make a "dangly" with my stars and a heart.

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

Those are really cool! I can see the Mexican inspiration in them, you always put such neat things in your mosaics, I love it!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Oh janie so glad you coming to Texarkana Yeah!!!!!I'll bring homemade hot sauce for everyone!!!!My husband can's it!!But you gotta come get it!Love your swithplates too slow...Perfect with your home.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

CJ!! Are you going to the TX class? It would be sooo great to see you there!
    SLow! Looks like you got a good dose of creativity in MX!
    The switchplates are gorgeous!!

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I was just thinking about doing switchplates the other day. Are you using the plastic ones or metal ones? I was thinking metal would be safer to hold the weight and not crack but didn't know if it was necessary.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Sorry Gals, not making it for the workshop, sure wish I could tho!!!! Lascatx: The Gypsy ones are wooden, don't know what Slow is using, but I would think the plastic would be fine.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Well, I know I have some plastic ones out inthe garage. I might have to play with one and see how it does. It's not too big a project to chalk one up to experience if necessary.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, y'all. They are fun to do. My first one wasn't so much fun, but I'm learning to work w/smaller pieces, and GYPSIE's gift was so beautiful, I had to try to re-create the look. It was the tassel on the corner of hers that hooked me. LAS: I sanded the plastic ones really well b/f gluing. It's best to use some kind of chain or BBs on the edge to hold the grout. The one where I didn't use a chain, beads or BBs didn't hold the grout in a couple places. Haven't felt like going to Lowes to get the wooden ones.

• flagtruck
    16 years ago

Soooo- Is all you learned to make in Mexico the switchplates? I haven't been on here in a while, been outside in this wonderful weather trying to finish some things I started.I was expecting some great things from you guys. Did you go to a workshop or just there for fun?
    I sure hope those 2 Canadians decide to come to Texas, we will all have a great thme. Glad you all are back.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

I love love love all the switch plates, the one from Gypsy and all of your subsequent efforts are so sparkly! very fun

wonder if Dh would notice if I started doing the ones here.. lol

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If DH DOES notice, NT, I'll bet he'll love them, even though it'll take him awhile to admit it. Go for it. OK, Ms. Smarthy Boots FLAGTRUCK. It's only been a week, and I DID make one wall hanging using one item I brought back - it's in "Gifts" "Dance Wendy Dance". The butterfly is a nicho - one of several I brought back. Speaking for myself, I went to get inspiration, and work w/my forum buds in the most art-filled city I've been to since I retired. I love the place, w/evening sunsets (you can see a pic. in my album labeled Puerto Vallarta Trip"), sitting under a thatched umbrella on the beach just a flight of steps down from the hotel, eating nachos and drinkin' 'ritas, listening to live music from 2:00-5:00 every day, combing the beach in Bucerias for shells/glass to bring back to add to my work, (eating shellfish soup and drinking 'ritas in Bucerias), watching the sun sink into the sea every evening from my terrace, mosaicing on the terrace w/my buds, combing the city for raw materials to put into my work, eating at wonderful restaurants where the food is spectacular, and well, I could go on, but THAT's what I enjoyed most in P.V. I'm working on another PV inspired piece, using one of the nichos. The five of us made several things on the terrace, but unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the things I made and left to the hotel owner and a lady who lives in an apt. next door to my room who took us bead shopping, and CALAM failed to take a pic. of her gift to the hotel owner. So, my future projects w/be PV-inspired. There was no workshop this time, but I hope to attend one next winter.

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

I think we all knew how to mosaic switchplates before we went to Mexico...LOL......the switchplates were a gift from me that I made here in the USA before the trip to take to Slow, Calamity and Klinger........as a SMALL token of friendship and bonding! And bonding we did. I think Slow just got inspired by them (I can't imagine me inspiring Slow or anyone as far as that goes)and she's had a blast making them for her home since she's been back. As far as the trip, ditto to what Slow said above....I had never been to PV.....so I did some house tours, Botannica garden tour, etc. took advantage of the beach..had great food....much much more.....we did do some mosaicing....but it wasn't a workshop.....it was a gathering of mosaic sisterhoods and we did indeed share a lot of our personal lives together....laughed and cried..explored PV....Bucerias....bought some fantastic tiles, etc....wonderful art...great galleries...saw some wonderful outragerous Mexican mosaics...shopped, shopped, shopped..got ideas.......lots of ideas.....and came back to the states with new inspiration and most importantly, new friends in my heart. It was a good thing!

• flagtruck
    16 years ago

GREAT fun for all of you. I assumed wrong that you went to Rianna's workshop again. I have looked at all your photos and drooled. I know you guys must have had a wonderful time! I only got part of the story..LOL.. just like me! Here I thought you guys went to another workshop and I have been searching messages to see instructions on what you learned there like you guys posted last year. I am so looking forward to the Texarkana workshop so I can meet those of you who are heading this way. I am sure we will all inspire each other!
    I love the switchplates and it was especially kind and thoughtful of Gypsy to bring you guys each one. They are beautiful, as are the PV inspired ones you have finished since you have been home Slow.
    I am so glad all of you are back, was kinda quiet with all of you gone.
    Carol

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, FLAG - why don't you start planning to go w/us next winter? We can't do a thing outside in Jan/Feb., so why not start thinking now to join CRACK (so far)(and perhaps CALAM/DH) and me in PV. You'd go absolutely bananas. That place puts me on an inspirational high that's hard to explain. I was dry as a bone until I got there, and the ideas started multiplying. Plan now.

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

I love all the PV inspired projects. Lots of color!

Sponsored