SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jckgmk

many things but will focus on cooktop/oven vs. range issue

jckgmk
10 years ago

First and foremost, I want to thank each and every one of you for being here. While I have many questions, I want to focus on one because I am ready (or I guess I should say my KD is ready) to sign off on the cabinet order. My kitchen is small. We currently have a 30" cooktop and a 30" wall oven in a traditional setting (oven next to cooktop in wall at normal height). We are taking the wall down and putting in an island with an L for range, sink, DW, and refrigerator along outside walls. We planned to use a 30" range, but decided to go with a 36" range because we wanted more cooktop space. Unfortunately, the larger range reduced the pots/pans drawers on each side of range from 24" to 21" --way too small. Then I discovered photos of 36" cooktops over 30" ovens (very European I understand). However, I did not want to use a 36" oven base cabinet because there would be no gain in drawer space. My KD disagreed and thought it would look odd to have the cooktop sitting over drawers. I did not see the problem but decided to heed her advice until I found some photos with the exact design I envisioned--36" cooktop over 30" oven in 30" base cabinet. The layout would be (sorry, no photos/diagram): Uppers: 21" upper cabinet on the left--36" range hood sitting over 36" cooktop--21" upper cabinet on the right--two 12" cabinet doors (24") to corner. Base cabinets: 24" drawers--30" oven--24" drawers--12" corner cabinet. I plan to use a Bertazonni cooktop depth of about 3" would sit on/in 3 cm granite countertop so do not expect much of a problem altering drawers (not sure about this). My question: is this a bad plan--look strange with 21" cabinets offset over the 24" drawers not to mention the cooktop sitting over the drawers? I hope this message is not too convoluted for you to respond--thanks.

Comments (3)