SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venice_2008_gw

UC lighting for floating shelves

venice_2008
14 years ago

Have searched everywhere, it seems, for info., but have uncovered few answers, so finally posting here for GW wisdom.

I have two sections of floating shelves, one that runs ~ 21 inches and another of ~ 36 inches. The shelves are 13 inches deep and 1.5 inches thick. I'd like lighting underneath the bottom shelf.

I've seen loads of photos of lighting recessed into these shelves, so I know it can be done. Was thinking could just drill through the back of the shelf and pull the wire through. At one lighting shop, the guy said we would need to let the light "breathe" through the top by drilling holes or somesuch. It's probably my ignorance, but I don't see why this would be needed, as I've seen recessed treatments where this wasn't done. Maybe they weren't to code?

GC has not done this before, so is not proving v. helpful (nice guy, though -- no issues with him), and we are sort of stuck on this point. I basically need to find and present the fixtures I want to him.

To complicate things, they need to be hardwired, that is, not on a transformer, b/c that is how the electrical was done.

Has anyone done this? If so, what did you do?

Comments (3)