SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Please help me pick out color for our house exterior! Pic

Pipdog
12 years ago

Hi GW'ers,

We're deciding on what color paint to paint the exterior of our house and we're going back and forth on what color. My partner wants to keep the house white, but I'd like to see a different color.

Currently, the house is white with black shutters and a dark red door. There is some red brick at the foundation of the house and the roof is shake. The house also has a newly painted white picket fence. We're in Southern California.

Would you all stick with white? Or could we go with a darker color? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated! Many thanks. Pipdog

{{!gwi}}

Comments (39)

• natal
    12 years ago

Precious house! Definitely a color. Something in the taupe family?

Catknapp, a former GW member, lived in southern CA in a similar house. Wish I could find some of her photos to show you.

• baileyandbella
    12 years ago

Sorry, but I LOVE it the way it is!

• Related Discussions

Need Help in picking out Paint colors for our orange brick home.

Q

Comments (6)
    I had an orangey-peachy house in Baton Rouge, LA and I painted the back porch and door an opposite color on the color wheel - a beachy-seafoamy-light turquoise green. I loved it, but colorful houses are "done" there and this was 20 years ago. If any of your darker bricks go toward the red/maroon spectrum, a cranberry or maroon color could work well for a front door. You might have to make your pictures "public" in order for us to see them.
    ...See More

Help me pick a color for our house

Q

Comments (8)
    Generally you'd use Paraex if you have really cracked stucco. I didn't see anywhere in your post that cracking was an issue; just that you want to change the color. If cracking isn't an issue, I wouldn't recommend paying a lot of money for Paraex; a simple paint job will do. Have you checked out your contractor with the BBB for complaints? Perhaps you want to before going further with him. Just sayin...
    ...See More

help me pick out a paint color for the exterior please

Q

Comments (1)
    White Dove has to be one of the most popular white around, along with Simply White and Cloud White. I often check out the Benjamin Moore's Colonial Williamsburg collection when I want to change colors. I found a white called Capital White CW with a slightly creamy undertone compared to White Dove. Look at BM colors in this link: https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/color-palettes/most-popular-colors Have you browsed Houzz white exteriors to see what is featured? (Sometimes they mention the exact color in the write up.) Here is one house with a brown roof - BM Ballet White - not white white, if that is what your leaning toward. Good luck.
    ...See More

Help me pick house colors. Please help me pick house colors!

Q

Comments (2)
    You have to paint Brown color for the roof and light cream for the bricks if you want an antique look because you putting in question you love the antique look you have to paint the gray color for the bricks and Light cream for the roof.
    ...See More
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I think a color would be terrific. I like taupe (disclaimer:my house is taupe with a purple door) as well as some soft green shades.

You have a wonderful house and I think adding color would help show that off!

• lindac
    12 years ago

White White....just as it is!! Great house....but for that squared off shrub by the garage....LOL!!
    Certain things are classic and your house is one!

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    12 years ago

I love crisp white houses, I would love to paint ours white but DH grew up in white houses and wanted something different. I'm with you though, after white for a while maybe a color would be fun. I have a brick base like yours and a similar roof. My original color was a Benjamin Moore color that is a pale yellow, we also have dark grey cobblestone sidewalks. Here's a pic, but the yellow is very washed out in this pic don't know why.

Here's a pic of one side showing the yellow(ignore the yard, this was a before pic of my hosta bed).

I'm about to repaint this fall, I think I'm going with a light peacock blue with black shutters and a red door, or grey/green with same accents.

Annette

• ptamom
    12 years ago

I LLOOVVEE your house! It has so much charm, nomatter the color!
    I grew up near a pristine victorian with a carraige barn. It was dark grey. That would be stunning. Of course, it would also be very east coast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Westchester gray

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

I'd leave it white and add tons of color through landscaping. LOVE YOUR HOUSE!

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

BTW, unless you are going to redo your roof (gray, yes?) I would stay away from the taupe/tans/browns. Your driveway is gray, too . . .

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Yours is one of those houses that gets sold from the curb. I would buy your house without even going inside.

House colors generally should reflect the local community. What would work back here in the East may be totally inappropriate where you are.

• lizzieshome
    12 years ago

I would go with a sagey green color...BM's Nantucket Gray with the red door, gray roof and white fence would be gorgeous. Add pops of red and purples in your landscape.

• suero
    12 years ago

You could go with another color, but it wouldn't look as good as the white. I think your current color scheme is perfect.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd do a pale yellow or pale green. Something that gives a little contrast with white trim but is still mellow is what I'd shoot for....

When I decided to paint our poop brown wood siding on our cottagey ranch house, I went with lavender because I knew someday we'd replace the siding and wanted something one could not find in a building supply store if I was going to bother to paint. The p.o.s had painted the brick lower part white and we knew we'd be adding a gray roof. Since it is a one level house and the lower part is white, there is not a huge expanse of color anywhere. If you did a pale lavender and painted the front door a mossy green, it would be spectacular with your style house. Luckily, my dh did not mind (mostly because I did all the painting, lol). It really changed the entire look of the house and we get a lot of compliments.... We may not side for a very long because we like it so much now....

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I have a white and brick house with black shutters, so.....!:)
    I think the comment that you have to think about your existing roof color is a good one before deciding on a color change.
    I also agree that rethinking your landscape would be just the change you need.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I am not very good with photoshopping as I only have MS Paint on this computer, but here goes:

Obviously, your garage doors would be whiter IRL and the new paint would not glow as this crude attempt does...

• Boopadaboo
    12 years ago

dianalo - have we seen a picture???? I must see the lavender house. Sounds lovely. :)

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the input everyone! and dianalo, I love the idea of painting the garage door a different color - I hadn't even thought of that but it is a great idea. Thanks for the mockup, too. I have been wanting to do that but have no idea how.

anele, you make a really good point about the roof and driveway being grey. I was leaning towards a light grey or pale blue but it may be too matchy matchy with the roof/driveway.

We're going to walk around the neighborhood today and look at some different color schemes. I love the idea of a sage green door and shutters. And maybe bring in some other colors on the trim (beige, chocolate?)

• fleur222
    12 years ago

I like the white! I agree about the greys too. My house is white, but I love a grey house. I think that the door as it is goes well with the brick. I do think it would be interesting to paint the garage door though.

• jennifer_in_kansas
    12 years ago

I like the white

My neighbor uploaded a photo to Sherwin Williams Visualizer and it worked really well for her.

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams Visualizer

• barb5
    12 years ago

I like the white too, but I think I would try something more fun for the shutters and the front door than black and red.

Periwinkle? Aubergine? Tangerine?

• awm03
    12 years ago

dianalo, I love the idea of a sophisticated lavender. It would be charming on a house like pipdog's and different too. Nice mock-up!

I was going to suggest a pale warm shell pink (emphasis on pale). It would work with the greens in the landscape, the roof color & the driveway too. It's cottage-y and would be elegant if you stay away from the candy-like pinks. There's a historic colonial near us that's painted a warm pink and it's beautiful.

• sis3
    12 years ago

Totally agree with anele "I'd leave it white and add tons of color through landscaping. LOVE YOUR HOUSE!"
    To me it is a blank canvas just waiting for colorful landscaping to complete the picture.

I wouldn't paint the garage door a different color from the house as I would not want to draw attention away from the house to the garage door.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I agree with sis3 & anele!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I think your house is beautiful as is, but here are some fun ideas for color:

same house, paint looks dark gray instead of green - guess they painted it between shots (I didn't read the blog posts)

My personal favorite:

• msrose
    12 years ago

I was going to say leave it white until I got to olychick's post. I don't know if her first picture is green or gray, but I love it with the white trim.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

• B H
    12 years ago

I like white, too, but for something different I was also thinking along the lines of yellow.

There is a fabulous yellow house in Montecito just steps from the beach. It's sunny without being garish. While they were building it, I'd walk my dogs by and just smile. I really envied the people who lived there. :) Wish I'd thought to take a picture of it before I moved away from Santa Barbara.

I love so many things about your interior...and now love the charming exterior as well. Can't wait to see what you decide on doing!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

binsd, that's funny because I was looking for a nice yellow pic to post and wouldn't have thought to look in SB (or Montecito) because of all the white with red clay roofs, but here is a great yellow house in SB.

It's copyrighted so I can't paste it here but here's the link - there are some other really great examples at this site, too:

Here is a link that might be useful: nice yellow, too.

• nanjean68
    12 years ago

I am liking the white. Why not change out the shutters on the front and the front door? Not liking green either. How about a turquoise or one of those lovely blue colors from BM?

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We're going to look at some paint colors tomorrow...will post more later once we've made a decision. thanks again for all the helpful input!

olychick, I absolutely love that last house you posted with the bright red front door! what a charmer!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

It is funny, but I did not change the garage door color. I used MS Paint and it did weird things to the roof too. Looking at it here, it seems like I made the top part brown....
    I'd either do the garage door with the 2 light tones or keep it all white. I'd paint it last to see how it looks white first with the new house color.
    When I was working on the mock up, the lavender was either too strong or too light. I went with too light because the next step up was garish. Our lavender is sometimes very subtle, but when you see the nearby white, you realize it is not white too. It also looks different as the light changes throughout the day.
    I'll try to take an exterior pic of our house tomorrow. The landscaping needs a major trim, but the blooming trees out front are at their best. I work from my office Thurs-Sun and from home Mon-Wed (much fewer hours), so can do some work on them in the a.m. and take a neater photo ;) Although, it sounds like it is raining outside at the moment...

• dakota01
    12 years ago

I like the white too..But, I would paint the cross sections on your garage doors. They seem too white and the black hardward doesnt' seem to standout enough. You may even want to add some more hardware to jazz it up.

I saw a very pretty home that was a soft sage green and the trim was a pretty beigy tan...Though, you have a lot of green in your landscape.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Sorry, but can't take pix today. Have too much to do inside and have appts, so won't get to outside cleanup until tomorrow a.m.. It does help that it is 90 degrees outside at the moment and rising.

• hitthewall55
    12 years ago

I like the white too, but I agree with the other suggestions - make the door, shutters and garage door pop. Add your color there. Maybe something in the navy family as it wouldn't look "off" with the roof and would still be a sharp contrast. What a lovely house though!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I like the white also but think a very pale grey would work. I agree with not using taupes/tans with the roofing. I also agree with not accenting the garage door. I'd concentrate on the front door and shutters and as someone else suggested - the landscaping.

tina

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Hm...I love the white house as is personally but whatever you do, I vote for not making garage doors 'pop'. While you happen to have much nicer garage doors than most of humanity, I fall into the camp that firmly believes garage doors benefit from being painted in.

• kjmama
    12 years ago

like it how it is

• alicate
    12 years ago

I wouldn't chance a thing and leave all the charm just as it is! Beautiful house!

• emagineer
    12 years ago

I love the white too. Am entranced with the carriage garage door. My take would be adding straps to them and enhance. Or give the door to me..... You house looks great as it stands, darling welcoming home.

If you did enhance the garage, I'd also look at using antique replicas of shutter hardware too.

And a bit of landscaping. But for me, stay white. It is so easy to touch up when needed. Other colors for shutters, door, etc. I haven't any recommendations. But I do like the green pics posted with white trim and doors.

• B H
    12 years ago

olychick - I love all the houses you posted! Especially the purple one. ;) Santa Barbara & Montecito actually have a lot of Craftsman style homes. I love the architecture there.

pipdog - how are the houses in the rest of your neighborhood painted? Just curious. Are they more adventurous types (your neighbors) or are the houses pretty uniform in color & style?