SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

Cleaning and sealing newly installed limestone/granite/marble?

flseadog
14 years ago

I'm asking these questions here because all of you are so knowledgeable in so many area although only a portion of the questions pertain to the kitchen counters. We are trying to get the final cleaning done so we can move into our new build. The builder did not supervise the contractors very well and we have some real problems to fix.

1. We know that the polished limestone floor in the entrance hall needs to be cleaned by a professional as it has tape marks and splotches all over it. The contractor who looked at it recommended a "deep chemical cleaning" and resealing. I haven't asked him yet what the chemical cleaning product would be but in general does this sound right? When I tested this stone before deciding to use it all a sealer did was bead up on the surface of the stone. I guess that we won't know until after the stone is cleaned if needs to be repolished? Does a polished limestone or a polished marble need to be sealed?

2. Almost all of our counter surfaces have scratches from tools being either banged down on them or scraped across the surface. Additionally, all sorts of construction dust from sawdust to wallboard and spackle dust, paint and plumbers putty marks are on the counters which are an assortment of marble, quartzite, and granite. None of the scratches are enough that I want to repolish or grind out the marks. We took the stone floor guy around and showed him the scratches and he recommended the same deep chemical cleaning and resealing that he did for the limestone floor. He feels that unless we do this we risk having the counters permanently stained with the construction residue

or with our own daily living spills sinking into the scratches. Does this sound right?

The builder has agreed to pay but even if we had to pay for all of this the price seems reasonable---around $.75/sf. My biggest worry at this point is that the cure will be worse the the existing problem and that something else may be damaged inadvertently. The contractor comes highly recommended but this is so far out of my area of competence that I have no basis for judging what the correct course of action should be. All opinions are appreciated.

Comments (13)