SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lopay_gw

Horizonial Wood Grain on Cabinets

LoPay
10 years ago

In the planning stages or my kitchen renovation. I really like the look of horizontal wood grain, but the brands I have seen so far are using an engineered veneer or thermofoil finish on the doors to achieve this look (DuraSupreme and the various MasterCraft lines). If either of these finishes are well made, I would consider it.

However, I noticed when I look at pictures where actual hardwood or veneer is used, drawers seem to have the grain oriented horizontally by default, and the doors are oriented vertically. Since my plan is all drawers for the base cabinets, and very few upper cabinets, I think I would end up with the desired horizontal look and not have to settle for a "picture of wood". When I look at the drawers on my bedroom furniture, all of the grain is oriented horizontally.

For those of you will all drawers on the bottom, which way does your grain run? What type of wood and finish do you have?

For the professionals, is it possible to specify that a hardwood or hardwood veneer door has horizontal grain on a slab style door? If it is, is there an upcharge?

FYIW - I am still deciding on going with a KD or interior designer. The interior designer I am working with does work with an Amish cabinet maker, but that option might be out of my budget for cabinets.

Comments (6)