SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mybrowneyedgirls

Blowing budget...can I do this myself?

mybrowneyedgirls
14 years ago

We have been remodeling our kitchen over the last year very slowly. Started with replacing laminate counters with granite, cracked tile floors with hardwood, and bisque appliances with stainless. We still have several steps left until completion.

We need a backsplash (torn drywall look is driving me crazy). We are refacing our 8 yr old honey oak arched top cabinets with white painted maple shaker style doors and drawer fronts, and converting them to full overlay (they are just parial right now). Our GC uses an Amish man to make the doors and drawer fronts. GC is installing 6 inch crown moulding on the tops of cabs, and removing brown rubber/plastic baseboards and replacing with wood. New harware (hinges, knobs, pulls). We just purchased all new lighting.

Money is getting really tight, and I am tired of looking at my kitchen in an unfinished state. It drives me crazy every day. I have been paying cash all along, and have to continue to do so (says DH who never wanted to do any of this in the first place). I have $4500 left. Here is the breakdown of what the remaining work will cost. Please help me prioritize what I should do now, and what I can do later, and what I can do myself. I don't want to put a ton of money into this anyway because we will probably move in 2 yrs.

New doors and drawer fronts (maple, unpainted): $1420

Hinges: $375

Crown moulding: $475

Baseboards: $100

Moulding around window (needs done before BS): $100

Install knobs/pulls: $100

Installation of crown, baseboards, hinges and doors: $475

Installation of lighting: $150

Paint cabs (doors, drawer fronts, crown, base, frames): $1500 including paint

I think all of these prices are very reasonable. The problem is, I just barely have the money to get it done, and I still NEED to replace the carpet in the family room with the same hardwood we did in the kitchen. DH and his friend will do this together and we will pay the friend for his help. Total will be about $1500. I need to do this soon because the carpet looks pretty worn, and the wood floors change color with sun exposure over time, so we were told to do this sooner rather than later so they match up with the kitchen (the rooms are adjoining).

GC is the one who will paint the cabs. We can save $1500 if we paint the cabs ourselves. (Actually, it would be more like $1200 because we will have to buy paint and supplies). I know $1500 doesn't seem like much to have them painted professionally. But I just don't have the money to do everything right now, and if I did, I don't know that I'd want to put that much into a kitchen that is not part of our forever home, and in a neighborhood in which honey oak is seen rather frequently.

Total from GC is $4500 including everything (materials and labor) except lighting. With lighting installed it will be $4650. Then there's the BS, which I estimate will be about $800 including installation (friend gets 50% off at local tile shop). So I'm at $5450. Then hardwood. $6950 total. What can I cut, what can I do later, and what can I do myself? Btw, I am not an experienced DIYer, but I'm willing to try so I can be done with this and move on! If you got this far, thank you for taking the time to read it!

Comments (17)